Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Heritage home - what's it all about?

Heritage home - what's it all about?

Old Mar 4th 2010, 10:09 am
The analyser

supermum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Heritage home - what's it all about?

Hi, new to the site.

Applied to go to Canada on the 'old style' skilled worker route couple of years back but, considering exchange rates, not in a hurry to leave.

Anyhow, been looking at houses etc out of interest and there are a number of so called 'heritage homes' that seem quite nice....in fact, remind me of my house a bit. Are these like the Canadian version of a UK listed property? They seem so nice but not sure why they're not being snapped up.....not sure if they are a bit of a money pit.

Thanks for any views!
Old Mar 4th 2010, 10:40 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Heritage home - what's it all about?

Originally Posted by supermum
Hi, new to the site.

Applied to go to Canada on the 'old style' skilled worker route couple of years back but, considering exchange rates, not in a hurry to leave.

Anyhow, been looking at houses etc out of interest and there are a number of so called 'heritage homes' that seem quite nice....in fact, remind me of my house a bit. Are these like the Canadian version of a UK listed property? They seem so nice but not sure why they're not being snapped up.....not sure if they are a bit of a money pit.

Thanks for any views!
My wifes Aunt has a "Heritage Home" in Cranbrook BC and they've recently done it up to sell. I'm not aware of any strict regulations that you need to conform to in a similar way to the listed buildings in the UK.

The bloody house had a huge tree through the centre of it and it was originally built around it but they had it removed a couple of years back.

By the looks of things, a heritage house is named so because of it's age but i could be wrong.

As for up keep, there's is in pretty good nick and they're recently renovated it to a higher standard than many modern houses so it should be good to go for many years to come.

So i guess if you have a refurbed one, it could be fine but anything of age can potentially need lots of updating like any other aged property i guess.

This is probably no help to you though unless you're looking to buy one nestled in the Canadian Rockies and the Purcell Mountains . Think they're looking to market it at around the $400k mark.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 11:17 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
My wifes Aunt has a "Heritage Home" in Cranbrook BC and they've recently done it up to sell. I'm not aware of any strict regulations that you need to conform to in a similar way to the listed buildings in the UK.

The bloody house had a huge tree through the centre of it and it was originally built around it but they had it removed a couple of years back.

By the looks of things, a heritage house is named so because of it's age but i could be wrong.

As for up keep, there's is in pretty good nick and they're recently renovated it to a higher standard than many modern houses so it should be good to go for many years to come.

So i guess if you have a refurbed one, it could be fine but anything of age can potentially need lots of updating like any other aged property i guess.

This is probably no help to you though unless you're looking to buy one nestled in the Canadian Rockies and the Purcell Mountains . Think they're looking to market it at around the $400k mark.
I think the OP was pretty much right.

http://vancouver.ca/commsvcs/plannin...tage/Fact2.htm
Old Mar 4th 2010, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by supermum
Are these like the Canadian version of a UK listed property?
A 'heritage home' can be anything from real estate speak for an old home, usually in a neighbourhood of old homes that has retained much of the original interior and exterior character (but you have free rein to modify it) to an individual home in a neighbourhood that has protected status in terms of what you can and can't do to updgrades or additions. If the home is in a 'heritage district' your options are even less.

Heritage designations and heritage districts tend to be done on a municipal (local government) basis. Most renovators try and avoid these types of areas as the timelines are very long to do renovations.

Check your local government planning office and do your homework...in other words if you get an answer try and get it from two different sources and in writing.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 12:02 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
I think the OP was pretty much right.

http://vancouver.ca/commsvcs/plannin...tage/Fact2.htm
Aaah you learn something new every day.

I wasn't aware that they had to get permission to remove the tree going through the living room area and the new windows etc.

Their "heritage home" is plonked right in the middle of your typical suburban area and is the only one in the immediate area so not sure if that makes a difference.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

minimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud of

Anything in Canada over 20 years old is considered heritage I couldn't believe when we bought our house that is was considered 'old' because it's 10 years old - geez - in the UK, that's literally a newbuild
Old Mar 4th 2010, 4:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by minimeeze
Anything in Canada over 20 years old is considered heritage I couldn't believe when we bought our house that is was considered 'old' because it's 10 years old - geez - in the UK, that's literally a newbuild
I hear you...in my general neighbourhood homes have been built between about 1976 and the present.....my house is 1986 and people have referred to it as 'old' in the neighbourhood. I shake my head but I guess it is all relative.

I believe Markham Ontario have a 'heritage' home on the books that was built in 1969...it is faux heritage as it is meant to look like a home from the 1860's. I pity the person who owns that lead weight.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

Deva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by minimeeze
Another lame generalisation based on limited local experience. Have you ever been anywhere else in Canada?
Old Mar 5th 2010, 3:32 am
Soulless bureaucrat

Lemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deva
Another lame generalisation based on limited local experience. Have you ever been anywhere else in Canada?
Plenty of heritage homes here in Ottawa - mine's over 100 years old.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 4:15 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deva
Aw I wouldn't say it's a lame generalisation The house we live in was built in the 80's and to my Canadian o/h thats OLD. To me back in Blighty it would just mean tacky pink and grey decor and a few bits of black ash furniture thrown here and there.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 4:30 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

In Alberta to be a Heritage home a house must have been built prior to 1950, contain much of their original details such as hardwood, coved ceilings, stained glass windows, hardware and other special touches. They are usually found in mature neighborhoods lined with trees from the era.

Heritage homes are homes that have been selected and designated, either provincially or municipally, as being of particular significance to our social and architectural history. These homes have the prestige of being preserved and protected so that they will continue to be a reminder of the evolution of our built heritage.

http://www.fromtimespast.com/homes/buying.htm

So to most of you with your outlandish comments of anything older than 10 years or 20 years old is a heritage home I say you're full of sh*t.

Last edited by Steve_P; Mar 5th 2010 at 4:32 am.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 4:44 am
Banned

bsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
In Alberta to be a Heritage home a house must have been built prior to 1950, contain much of their original details such as hardwood, coved ceilings, stained glass windows, hardware and other special touches. They are usually found in mature neighborhoods lined with trees from the era.

Heritage homes are homes that have been selected and designated, either provincially or municipally, as being of particular significance to our social and architectural history. These homes have the prestige of being preserved and protected so that they will continue to be a reminder of the evolution of our built heritage.

http://www.fromtimespast.com/homes/buying.htm

So to most of you with your outlandish comments of anything older than 10 years or 20 years old is a heritage home I say you're full of sh*t.

We rent in a heritage condo block. All of the above plus a plaque outside the front door with a bit of blurb about the place which proudly announces the building was put up in 1912 - ancient by Edmonton standards.

All relative as some one said.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 8:13 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I though 'heritage home' was mls code for 'falling to bits'
Old Mar 5th 2010, 8:18 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I though 'heritage home' was mls code for 'falling to bits'
no I think that one is "handyman special"