Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Heresy?? Any UK to Aus now moving to Canada?

Heresy?? Any UK to Aus now moving to Canada?

Old Apr 20th 2008, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

teagg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Heresy?? Any UK to Aus now moving to Canada?

I've also posted this on the Australia bit...

This might be a dodgy thing to post... however, I'm wondering if there are any Brits who've moved to Australia, and then upped sticks to go to Canada?

or any of you know any threads that I can take a look at?
ta muchly!
Old Apr 20th 2008, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Heresy?? Any UK to Aus now moving to Canada?

Originally Posted by teagg

This might be a dodgy thing to post... however, I'm wondering if there are any Brits who've moved to Australia, and then upped sticks to go to Canada?

ta muchly!
I know not of any such threads but chances are in the years to come they will be leaving a republic behind in exchange for a monarchy

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/7356994.stm
Old Apr 20th 2008, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute

ta muchly!
You might get a kicking on the Oz forum....there are a few UK - NZ - Canada people about.....so it depends on what you want to know, I suppose?
Old Apr 20th 2008, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

Yes - I expect that I'll get a real set of comments!!!

I'm curious - as to whether anyone else has done this, what their motivations are/were, what they've learnt in the process, what they might have done differently, what regrets they've had (expected or not) and what pleasant surprises they have had...

We are enjoying Australia - but missing family (same old story)... it's not that bad - but this evening we realised that we don't want to end up dead here...
( odd thinking, I know)... and if that's the case, where do we want to end up... and the inevitable what do we want to do in the meantime?

On the other hand - we've done the researching/emigrating to Oz; bought the house; renovated the house; had the babies; now what?! So maybe we need another project!!

Or - It could be the result of too cold/too wet/missing family/hot Xmas yuk syndrome and just a flash in the pan...

Anyway - it's worth asking and getting ideas/responses (of all kinds!)

thanks for posting...
and if you've got any advice... do please tell!!
Old Apr 20th 2008, 4:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute

ta muchly!
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Canada_versus_Australia

Assume you've read the above?
Old Apr 21st 2008, 1:49 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

What do you expect Canada to give you that Australia does not?

As an aside, if you are planning to apply to CIC Sydney, it would be better to do so as an Australian citizen rather than a British citizen resident in Australia.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 1:51 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

ta muchly!
Looks like out of the fat and into the fire to me.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 5:02 am
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
What do you expect Canada to give you that Australia does not?.
for a start it's not full of aussies unless you're heading to whistler that is
Old Apr 21st 2008, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the wiki reference - once I've typed this - i'm off to read up.

Canada v Australia - not yet sure whether what I think it will give me, would actually be the case... mainly the things that I knew Aus would cause issues for me... viz. distance/time from Europe; hot christmasses; lack of European-feel/thinking/mentality (not that I'm convinced that the Canadians will give me that, but perhaps the french-speaking part will be an 'ersatz' version?!?)
to summarise - not sure - just dipping my little toe in, to see what things come up - both externally here, and internally (emotionally)...

Thanks for the comments and questions - all appreciated...
Old Apr 21st 2008, 2:47 pm
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

I went UK- NZ - Canada, for the very reasons you hightlighted. Please dont be offended, but cant be bothered to go into all the ins and outs again! but here are some links to the relevant threads.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=451376

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=451014

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=519667

Thats probably enough right there!
Old Apr 21st 2008, 2:50 pm
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
What do you expect Canada to give you that Australia does not?

As an aside, if you are planning to apply to CIC Sydney, it would be better to do so as an Australian citizen rather than a British citizen resident in Australia.

Getting Australian citizenship isnt a quick answer for many people, what with needing to be there for whatever length of time etc. We werent NZ PR's, we were still on a WP 4 years after arriving, it didnt hinder our application one bit. What should have taken 3-4 months for a WP and a medical for Canada, took 5 weeks tops via Sydney. They were fab!
Old Apr 21st 2008, 5:15 pm
UK to NZ to Canada

TiggerLottie will become famous soon enough

Yeah same here, moved to NZ 4 years ago from the UK and now making plans to head over to Canada, its where we wanted to move first and for some reason we ended up in NZ, nice place but hot christmases is not right !
Plus very far from Friends and some family in UK, so looking at moving to Newfoundland early next year hopefully on WP,

Im the same, dont want to grow old here, and im not settled at all, ive always had a passion for Canada, the whole way of life,

My granadad was canadian so i was told about the place all the time i was growing up and even had my honeytmoon there...

good luck to everyone, if you have a dream...dont let anyone put you off or make you feel its silly....just follow it, you only live once so be happy ;-)