Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Here we go again...

Here we go again...

Old Nov 3rd 2006, 7:27 am
Perfer et obdura

Location: Birmingham 26 years, Germany 20 years, in Toronto since 2015
anglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Here we go again...

Hi everybody,

Am planning to emigrate... for the second time. The first time was in 1995, when I came from the UK to Germany - except for the language barrier, that was a doddle. From all I've read here, the next time is likely to be anything but: I'm looking into emigrating to Canada, with son (aged 5) but without husband (who will not be coming later, either). Will be applying to CIC in Berlin, which with a bit of luck might be a bit quicker than London

Can anyone give me tips, advice or experience on taking the self-employed route? I'm a self-employed translator (German to English) for a number of renowned international companies, and would retain these customers. I'm also a published author of EFL/ESL material and have also worked as a self-employed EFL/ESL teacher and music teacher (the latter however not within the last 5 years). That means I could "contribute significantly to cultural activities", I hope. Am wondering what my chances are with this combination.

Am also wondering what kind of "net worth" an applicant in this category is expected to have? Unlike the skilled worker category, I can't find any information as to the amount of transferable funds one is supposed to have available.

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Heather
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 1:30 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Here we go again...

Welcome to the forum. You might try reposting this in the Canada Immigration board and maybe get more response from the "experts"?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 3:17 pm
Reunited

raine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna
Welcome to the forum. You might try reposting this in the Canada Immigration board and maybe get more response from the "experts"?

OMG we lived in Bavaria back in 2001 (well I say we, I lasted three months, that was enough for me).

We were in a very small village called Unering. nuff said.

Raine
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 3:40 pm
Perfer et obdura

anglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna

Thanks Morwenna, will do!
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 3:43 pm
Perfer et obdura

Originally Posted by raine66
OMG we lived in Bavaria back in 2001 (well I say we, I lasted three months, that was enough for me).

Raine
Blimey, and I thought WE lived in the back of beyond (in Aying)! Was it really so bad?? - do tell! *dying of curiosity*
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 4:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raine66

Raine
Where's Unering? Tutzing survivor here (end of the S-Bahn, am Starnberger See) - handed my notice in and hauled ass to Munich quick smart after missing the last S-Bahn one night and having to pay 200 DEM to get a taxi back :scared:

Am Arsch der Welt indeed
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 4:16 pm
Reunited

raine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Where's Unering? Tutzing survivor here (end of the S-Bahn, am Starnberger See) - handed my notice in and hauled ass to Munich quick smart after missing the last S-Bahn one night and having to pay 200 DEM to get a taxi back :scared:

Am Arsch der Welt indeed
Unering is just outside Seefeld.

OH used to work at Oberfaffenhoffen (Fairchild Dornier) and we use to spend a lot of time in Herrsching by the lake. Did you ever go to the Monastery at the top of the hill and have the big pork knuckles....hhmmm tasty!!

Raine
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 4:18 pm
Perfer et obdura

Am Arsch der Welt indeed
I think the nearest larger place to Unering is Oberpfaffenhofen - nuff said, really
Good old S6, I know it well... apparently the MVV thinks that we Landeier all go to bed at ten o'clock *lol*
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 4:19 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Am Arsch der Welt
<she wrote, from Winnipeg>
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 4:22 pm
Reunited

Originally Posted by anglogerman
Blimey, and I thought WE lived in the back of beyond (in Aying)! Was it really so bad?? - do tell! *dying of curiosity*
Yeah it was really bad, I hated it, we had the landlord from hell who thought she ruled the world, and thought if maybe she shouted at me all the time I would eventually understand what it was she was trying to tell me. LOL

There were no pavements and one pub at the bottom of the street, that was the best part about it.

We would go into Munich most Saturdays as the shops in Hersching closed at 12 noon on a Saturday, what is that all about.

Let me go back to that place in my head where I keep all those horrible memories hidden and I will give you more info on the area as I remember them.

Raine
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 4:24 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Where's Unering?
Google Maps: Unering

...and a closer satellite view for Raine.

Last edited by Hangman; Nov 3rd 2006 at 4:32 pm.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 4:31 pm
Reunited

I think the nearest larger place to Unering is Oberpfaffenhofen - nuff said, really
Good old S6, I know it well... apparently the MVV thinks that we Landeier all go to bed at ten o'clock *lol*

Yip, that sounds about right, I think that is also where Lidl's was.

Raine
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 4:33 pm
Reunited

Originally Posted by Hangman

:scared:

Go away horrible memories, I said go back to that place in my head where I can't see you anymore.

Now look what you've done.

Raine
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 4:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

apparently the MVV thinks that we Landeier all go to bed at ten o'clock *lol*
I still owe them an unpaid fare, don't tell them where to find me

Thanks for link Steve!

dbd33, Winnipeg trumps Tutzing, hard to believe I know

Last edited by Biiiiink; Nov 3rd 2006 at 4:44 pm.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 4:37 pm
Reunited

Originally Posted by Hangman

...and a closer satellite view for Raine.
OMG :scared:

We lived on Johann-Michael-Fischer-Weg right behind the cattle shed.

Raine

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.