Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Help us get to Vancouver!!!!!

Help us get to Vancouver!!!!!

Old Sep 1st 2005, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

Lonestar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help us get to Vancouver!!!!!

Originally Posted by stuartm
It woul dprobably be Cantonese, although the PRC are now pushing Putonghua (Mandarin) as the language of choice.

Am i likely to scor epoints with A' level french???

What about TEFL (teaching english as a foreign language) as an additional attractive qualification?

Stu
A level french ....WOW!!!!! what U waiting for Stu,you have got it on a plate.......as a second language ,I gave myself 2 pts (read,write,speak all at basic level) and provided my GCSE certificate in french which was grade 'D' as evidence......also this talk of first language and second language means you choose between english and french only ,period ! its all to do with seeing if you can please both the national languages and to what degree.....hope not to offend you because I am sure you probably have already visited the canadian government immigration site and downloaded all the forms and guides which everyone should first read through and obviously also take the quick points test to see if you have the passmark.heres the link
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/applications/skilled.html
Old Sep 1st 2005, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

stuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nice

Thanks for the help lonestar - i have been to the site, but its nice to get the human perspective.

By the way, the wife and i both pass, we both got 74, is that OK?

Stu
Old Sep 1st 2005, 4:28 pm
Just Joined

Lonestar is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the help lonestar - i have been to the site, but its nice to get the human perspective.

By the way, the wife and i both pass, we both got 74, is that OK?

Stu
of course it is ,thats the reason they probably lowered the pass mark from 75pts to 67pts back in 2003 because they want people like you who otherwise would have missed the pass mark to be able to apply,it makes no sense for them to lower the pass mark if they are gonna refuse you just on the bases you got 74pts and not the original passmark of 75pts,I think its all the other factors i.e you are at a good tax slave age sorry i mean't working age,your work background i.e. office worker,educated = good citizen etc. and you have gotta remember this is a big money making scheme for canada ,they don't have labour shortages and need skilled workers fast,thats just the cover they are hiding behind so as that the canadian citizens don't revolt ,they want bodies with all their lifes savings,sounds harsh but eiher their future economy depends on us or they're really getting scared of US economic dependance and this is just another industry for them i.e. like oil is for the arabs....immigration is for canada,or maybe I am just getting a bit dissillusioned with it all because of dreaming of the green green grass with mountains and big homes of canada for the past year and being negative about my home my place of birth....P.S. I am totally sorted now and have my head sorted i.e. ignore the sun,daily mail etc. I am more than happy to remain where I am and if canda turn me down then I won't get depressed etc. but it would be nice.so getting back from my rant don't worry canadian immigration isn't just for royalty, you and your wife are more then welcome .
Old Sep 1st 2005, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

stuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nicestuartm is just really nice

Thanks for the help guys
Old Sep 1st 2005, 10:13 pm
Remya

Can't help you with the job issues (although I think anything science-based will be fine, Governmental jobs might be a bit more tricky precisely due to what Souvenir said). However, with regards to languages, A level French won't cut it, I'm afraid. To gain points for French you'd need to sit the TEF (do a search for it on this forum, there's bound to be some stuff about it) which I've heard is pretty difficult. (Lonestar, if you haven't done this, you'll get asked to do so as you can't claim any points for having a GCSE).

As for TEFL, I looked into this and was told by a TEFL teacher in Vancouver that it's hard to get into at first, as lots of people take a TEFL course during gap years and so on, and that initially, it's all contract work with terrible pay and not many hours. So you could probably use it to supplement your income but not as a sole means of living. On the other hand there seem to be a lot of opportunities with non-English speaking people in Vancouver (so I've heard, not been there...yet), so maybe you could give private lessons a go rather than going through a company.

Old Sep 1st 2005, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys,
3. I suffer from Asthma - is this likely to go against me?
As an aside, I used to suffer from Asthma in the UK. Not a single problem with it since I've been here in Calgary. I suspect that the clean, crisp dry air helps.
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 5:54 am
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

Hi Stuart

Have you also looked at the government jobs in Victoria http://www.bcpublicservice.ca/postings/

Going by the accents when I chat to the various depts they employ a fair number of new Canadians (but they are s.l.o.w. to appoint, real s.l.o.w. Hubby was called to interview months after applying

Clare

Also, check out the universities (UVic, UBC, SFU and this site www.psea.bc.ca )
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 7:35 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

1. We are 30 and 31 respectively, no kids with good degrees (2:2) and a combined work experienc of 13 years. My wife has an environmental science degree and the market for science-based jobs looks healthy. Hwoever i ahve largely worked in local government as a manager withsome stints in Higher Education. Most of the jobs i could apply for are goernment -based and im in eligible as you need to be a canadian citizen - any advice for alternatives. I hold a fairly senior position within local government at present.
I agree, your wife will probably not have too much of a problem finding a job. Buuuut (sorry! ) I would recommend that you think laterally about your skills and see where you can apply them outside of government. I'm not saying give up on the idea, rather, don't rely on it. Government jobs are like gold (apparently, I'd rather eat my own arm ) and like previous posts have pointed out you would be near the end of the line for them. Plus, much of the government work is not in Vancouver but in Victoria or in more remote areas.

Your Cantonese might be very helpful. One of my best friends speaks Cantonese (she's a white Canadian) and she has always been able to pick up odd jobs because of that. Mainly private tutoring. She's never looked for anything beyond the odd job but I suspect she could find full-time if she wanted that. Plus it really open doors into the Chinese communities in BC. I speak and understand some conversational Cantonese and it's been very beneficial in terms of friendships and being allowed behind certain doors in Chinatowns. A lot of people bitch and moan about various immigrants not speaking English yet they themselves don't life a finger to learn even a basic greeting in any of the languages that surrounds them on a daily basis which could open a whole different world up for them. They're really missing out, IMO.

5. Woudl you recommend (assuming we were successful) selling your house and pocketing a lump sum of cash, or renting so that youve got a home to come back to if things didnt work out? :scared:
If I was in your position, I might consider keeping your place in the UK if you could find someone you trust to live in it and pay you rent. A nice trickle of UK pounds into your Canadian cost of living might be good. Plus, you're both young and don't have the responsibility of kids. I'm guessing that would open you open to more risks, possibilites and opportunities rather than requiring a sense of domestic stability. This could be a very good thing. With a nest back in the UK and just the shirts on your backs in Canada you might be more up to the adventure of being forced to make it work because you don't have immediate access to your savings (if you had sold the UK place). Just my thoughts (I'm not very conventional though).
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi HWP!

Thanks for the advice, and i may well keep up the cantonese, as as well as the language, i also teach matrial arts and that may be a source of some minor income, or afford me some access into the Chinese community.

If weife tries to improve her french with an accepted qualification, maybe our applications will strengthen further?

So much to think about , i need a drink !

Stu