Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Help! UK to St Catharines. Which Area?

Help! UK to St Catharines. Which Area?

Old May 14th 2020, 6:30 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help! UK to St Catharines. Which Area?

Originally Posted by sharkus
I've spent quite a bit of time in Port Dalhousie over the years and concur it's a rather nice place. A friend used to drive to Burlington GO and then take the train into Union Station. I think there is (well not right now of course!) GO train service from St Catharines into Union, so that might be better than having to drive to Burlington and switch to the train.
Not quite the worst commute I've heard of but getting up there.
Old May 15th 2020, 2:34 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharkus
I've spent quite a bit of time in Port Dalhousie over the years and concur it's a rather nice place. A friend used to drive to Burlington GO and then take the train into Union Station. I think there is (well not right now of course!) GO train service from St Catharines into Union, so that might be better than having to drive to Burlington and switch to the train.
The OP's partner will be working in St. Catherines .. so no commute needed to Union
Concur that Port Dalhousie is nice - but small... and hardly cosmopolitan from what I recall from visiting there frequently up until a couple of years ago... and there is a lot of construction going on
https://nexthome.ca/neighbourhoods/s...lhousie/30095/

Originally Posted by katehul
Hi, my fiance has accepted a job in St Catharines and I am totally stuck on which areas to look at for our property search. We are 38 and 42 and have no kids and no plans to. We are moving from Leeds City Centre. We like dining out in nice places, wine/cocktail bars and the cosmopolitan vibe of the City Center. I am originally from Lytham St Annes so also happy with a more small town feel but more upmarket. We would like 3 beds min so guests can stay from home and some outdoor space and have around £500k (+ for the right place). We are happy for a commute to get the best place for our needs to make the most of our move. Is it like UK where you look on say Right Move and find things you like with various agents or do you instruct a broker to find something suitable? I have heard areas of St Catharines would be suitable but which, also maybe Burlington or Niagara on the Lake. all offer different things that we may like. Please help me with where to start I have never made a move like this before.

Niagara on the Lake is a tourist town - but quite lovely.. and lots of vinyards in the area, if you are into wine
Old May 15th 2020, 2:50 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie

Niagara on the Lake is a tourist town - but quite lovely.. and lots of vinyards in the area, if you are into wine
I've always thought that being into wine should be one of the forum rules
Old May 15th 2020, 4:03 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
It's not???
Old May 15th 2020, 11:46 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Something one can do in Niagara is to take one's classic motor on a tour of the vineyards. That's quite fun but all the wine is from those vineyards which is a shame as it's cumbersome to make stew at the roadside, it would be nicer to have wine for drinking.
Old May 15th 2020, 2:59 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Something one can do in Niagara is to take one's classic motor on a tour of the vineyards. That's quite fun but all the wine is from those vineyards which is a shame as it's cumbersome to make stew at the roadside, it would be nicer to have wine for drinking.
https://henryofpelham.com/ Try their Baco Noir > Old Vines or Family Estate
Old May 15th 2020, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

How droll..you must be a lot of fun at parties

I went here last summer https://www.sue-annstaff.com/ The owners gave us lots of free wine and we did end buying quite a bit. I'm more of a beer guy (stricly ale primarily IPA) but this was very good wine.
Old May 17th 2020, 11:50 am
Just Joined

katehul is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks for your comments so far. Having taken your advice on board I think we will rent initially. I think somewhere between St.C and Toronto is a good option to be in a position to easily experience big city and small town to get a good feel for when/if we buy. I was therefore thinking Burlington would be a good idea. Thoughts?
Old May 17th 2020, 2:30 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Many thanks for your comments so far. Having taken your advice on board I think we will rent initially. I think somewhere between St.C and Toronto is a good option to be in a position to easily experience big city and small town to get a good feel for when/if we buy. I was therefore thinking Burlington would be a good idea. Thoughts?
I find Burlington to be charmless suburbia and isn't it on the wrong side of the bridge?
Old May 17th 2020, 2:47 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

The OP's partner will be working in St. Catherines .. so no commute needed to Union
Concur that Port Dalhousie is nice - but small... and hardly cosmopolitan from what I recall from visiting there frequently up until a couple of years ago... and there is a lot of construction going on
https://nexthome.ca/neighbourhoods/s...lhousie/30095/

That construction thing has been on going for a long time, at least five years. they tore down a few things and then it seemed to pause, not sure if it's actually going on right now, been a while since I've popped down that way.
Looking at google maps from june 2019 the housing stuff near where the old port mansion used to be isn't happening, but a lot can happen over a year.

NOTL is also very nice too. Not sure how affordable it is though. Spent time down there, mainly at the sailing club, and really do like the place.As you say, rather touristy, so in the summer months it can be a nightmare getting around.

Last edited by sharkus; May 17th 2020 at 2:52 pm.
Old May 17th 2020, 3:12 pm
Banned

I like Burlington, lots of festivals, some good pubs, restaurants etc., but a lot of new construction as well and more to come along the waterfront, sadly. There are a few streets in the 'core' downtown that have a small town feel but it's a sprawling City. It's not a cheap place to rent nor buy - a 3 bedroom townhouse (terrace) will cost around $2600 pcm to rent for anything half decent. Be aware that rentals are generally for a minimum of 1 year unless you get a sublet or an 'executive rental' which will be very expensive.
https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Renting-Canada
How about a beachfront townhouse on the edge of Hamilton if you don't mind spending 2.5k a month.. https://www.padmapper.com/apartments...73728,43.30388

Commuting to St. Catherines will be soul destroying after a while if driving, and getting stuck due to weather or traffic around the skyway bridge won't be a pleasant run at all. There is the option of taking the GoTrain / Bus etc., which will require over an hour travel time each way plus time to get to/from the Go Stations.

Last edited by Siouxie; May 17th 2020 at 3:14 pm.
Old May 17th 2020, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

I find Burlington to be charmless suburbia and isn't it on the wrong side of the bridge?
I think the inconvenience of driving daily from Burlington to St Catharine's would hugely overshadow the longer trip into Toronto from St Catharine's compared to from Burlington. You can still enjoy Toronto from St Catharine's. As I mentioned before my son was at Brock for 5 years, the last year or so of that his girlfriend was in Toronto - he visited regularly with no problem (he had a car). Before he got the car he could also get in to the city via GO transit - I would sometimes catch the same train he was on as it went through Oakville.
As I also mentioned before - I am a real estate agent who doesn't work in St Catharine's- however my office is in Burlington and I would still advise you not to live in Burlington if you work in Niagara region.
Old May 18th 2020, 3:53 am
Forum Regular

I am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond repute

My advice is to move to St C. The QEW is a grim commute in all seasons, and the 'benefit' of being half way to Toronto is not worth it. If you need the big city fix, drive to one of the outlying Go stations and train it in. Port Dalhousie is fine [I grew up less than a kilometre from it], but the St C area is small enough that it does not really matter where you live; Brock and whatever else local is readily accessible. Having said that, driving the length of what is a small city to get to work can take longer than one might expect. Also, do not be on the eastern side of the Welland Canal [ie: Port Weller out to Niagara on the Lake, Queenstown, etc]. The charm of watching a laker traverse the locks during the shipping season wears out really quickly.

For access to Brock, alongside the aforementioned Thorold, you can also consider Fonthill, or a little further out, Welland. Welland is on the grim side and the 406 used to get very snowy up that way in the winter. Note that Brock sits at the top of the escarpment, St C is in the shadow. The difference in the amount of snow can be surprising. If I was returning to Brock [which is where I did my undergraduate], I would look to get within cycling distance of the place. Although remember the escarpment... And not every day in the winter is cycle-able, but a surprising number of days can be. So, areas like Burleigh Hill, Western Hill and Vansickle are all very accessible with a range of prices. I agree with the other posters - buying [and then selling] is expensive in Canada, take your time and be sure you are settled where you want to be before taking on the expense.

Good luck.
Old May 18th 2020, 10:33 am
Just Joined

katehul is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Help! UK to St Catharines. Which Area?

How about a beachfront townhouse on the edge of Hamilton if you don't mind spending 2.5k a month..
This is nice! Shame about the pylon outside though. This would be the type of property I would like. We currently have a waterfront property in UK which we love. After a long chat last night though I think we will rent in St.C so can cycle to work (weather permitting). Any advice on best neighborhoods in St.C would be appreciated. Thanks guys.
Old May 18th 2020, 3:53 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by I am I said
My advice is to move to St C. The QEW is a grim commute in all seasons, and the 'benefit' of being half way to Toronto is not worth it. If you need the big city fix, drive to one of the outlying Go stations and train it in. Port Dalhousie is fine [I grew up less than a kilometre from it], but the St C area is small enough that it does not really matter where you live; Brock and whatever else local is readily accessible. Having said that, driving the length of what is a small city to get to work can take longer than one might expect. Also, do not be on the eastern side of the Welland Canal [ie: Port Weller out to Niagara on the Lake, Queenstown, etc]. The charm of watching a laker traverse the locks during the shipping season wears out really quickly.

For access to Brock, alongside the aforementioned Thorold, you can also consider Fonthill, or a little further out, Welland. Welland is on the grim side and the 406 used to get very snowy up that way in the winter. Note that Brock sits at the top of the escarpment, St C is in the shadow. The difference in the amount of snow can be surprising. If I was returning to Brock [which is where I did my undergraduate], I would look to get within cycling distance of the place. Although remember the escarpment... And not every day in the winter is cycle-able, but a surprising number of days can be. So, areas like Burleigh Hill, Western Hill and Vansickle are all very accessible with a range of prices. I agree with the other posters - buying [and then selling] is expensive in Canada, take your time and be sure you are settled where you want to be before taking on the expense.

Good luck.

Good to know for future reference! Thanks for the helpful info

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.