Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Help for those new Canadians

Help for those new Canadians

Old Jan 9th 2009, 4:47 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help for those new Canadians

Originally Posted by shelley748
Well up until I worked at Scotiabank in 2007- we were not allowed to open accounts for non residents who did'nt have paperwork, its always best to check with the bank directly...things may have changed since I left and so perhaps you can now, but the banks are so strict on the rules of money laundering etc...

I would be interested to know from someone who has done it in the last 3 months and what banks allow it.. when replying please give details of what paperwork you had to show and your circumstances ( ie non res)
I know someone that opened an account with HSBC as a tourist - this was in Sept '08 so a little more than 3 months ago. They needed a Canadian address (they used ours) and their passports and that was it.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stubby42
I'm not sure if you can help me or not but it seems like you'd be the person to ask.

I'm currently studying at university in york but I want to drop out and go to the university of regina sasketchewan, if I did this I'd be studying for two years. I've spoken to the student loans company in the uk and they say they can only give me one more year of funding, would I be able to take out a student loan from a canadian bank?

I'm trying to get into the country on the canadian experience class program and the easiest way for me to get into the country is to study for two years at a canadian school then work for a year in industry.

Can a bank help me?
Try this link and contacting the relevant Province, they might be able to help.

http://scotiabank.com/cda/content/0,..._LIDen,00.html
Old Jan 9th 2009, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by minimeeze
Great thread
I just wanted to ask about mortgages...

We set up bank accounts today with Scotiabank and asked about mortgage approval as we are quite keen to get our own place. The guy dealing with us told us we could easily afford the amount we wanted to borrow, however we need a 25% downpayment. Is this the usual case for new immigrants? (we have literally just arrived). Is 25% standard for all banks or do we get a better deal if we shop around? For a house at the lower end of our budget, it would mean a $115,000 deposit
Hi there
Finally got a reply back from the lender-

The lender adheres exactly to the CMHC guidelines but warns that these guidelines are constantly under review. It is on a case by case basis due to the new guidelines surrounding credit bureau score. If a foreign person enters Canada, they would of course not have a Canadian bureau.So would have to provide permission to access UK credit history.

It is possible to apply for a mortgage with as little as 5% down, under the CMHC newcomers to Canada program, obviously the more of a downpayment that you have, the more favourably the lenders are going to look at you.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 6:44 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there
Finally got a reply back from the lender-

The lender adheres exactly to the CMHC guidelines but warns that these guidelines are constantly under review. It is on a case by case basis due to the new guidelines surrounding credit bureau score. If a foreign person enters Canada, they would of course not have a Canadian bureau.So would have to provide permission to access UK credit history.

It is possible to apply for a mortgage with as little as 5% down, under the CMHC newcomers to Canada program, obviously the more of a downpayment that you have, the more favourably the lenders are going to look at you.
As the economy slows down and house prices fall - then high LTV mortgages (deposits sub 10%) are going to get harder to find for everyone and not just new immigrants. And those that can be found will be expensive. Buying a house now with only a 5% deposit will probably put you in negative equity within six months and so banks are going to price that risk in accordingly.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Alan2005
As the economy slows down and house prices fall - then high LTV mortgages (deposits sub 10%) are going to get harder to find for everyone and not just new immigrants. And those that can be found will be expensive. Buying a house now with only a 5% deposit will probably put you in negative equity within six months and so banks are going to price that risk in accordingly.
CMHC insures the mtg and they will be looking very closely at each case on a case by case basis- area/location will also play a big part, as obviously there are some housing corrections going on across Canada.

All we can do is wait and see and be very cautious...
Old Jan 10th 2009, 7:09 am
50 and wanting to go back

jimbloby7 has a brilliant futurejimbloby7 has a brilliant futurejimbloby7 has a brilliant futurejimbloby7 has a brilliant futurejimbloby7 has a brilliant futurejimbloby7 has a brilliant future
Post Re: Help for those new Canadians

CMHC insures the mtg and they will be looking very closely at each case on a case by case basis- area/location will also play a big part, as obviously there are some housing corrections going on across Canada.

All we can do is wait and see and be very cautious...
Hi shelley, Do you know where i would find statistical data showing the decline in the housing market by Province and City?
Old Jan 10th 2009, 10:17 am
Just Joined

silvia73 is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Silvia

Check out the WIKI link top of page, it has some great things about how to job hunt etc.... American Express Canada exists so you may want to look on their website as you have existing Amex experience... there is a shortage of workers in the Financial Services Industry in Canada. Also try the main website for Canada for jobs

www.workopolis.com
www.jobbank.gc.ca

You cannot open an account if you don't live in Canada- if you had papers to show you have been approved for work permit or Permanent Resident, then yes you can open account before you come, but if you have'nt then no you cannot- ever since 9/11 things have tightened up. Thus you cannot build up credit in Canada either without living here.

Once you get your papers then you can go to the HSBC Canada website and open an account online before you come then once you get here, you just go into the bank and show ID and papers etc..

I would be very happy to help you re house purchase once you decide...

Good Luck with your recce.
Hi Shelley and everybody else!
I have already asked within Amex and with 7000 jobs being eliminated worldwide it's really not going to happen for me.
How did everybody else get jobs in Canada from the UK? I really cannot afford coming over without one of us having a job and since my husband is an engineer we think he has a greater chance of getting a good job..
But he's rang a couple of recruitment agencies and they have fobbed him off saying that he's better off coming over through the points system and then hunting for a job locally...but it's too risky for us!
Is there a specific website for immigrants that are job hunting with employers "willing" to sponsor? What did you all do to find a job over there?
Help!!
Thanks again,
Silvia
Old Jan 10th 2009, 4:13 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by silvia73
How did everybody else get jobs in Canada from the UK? I really cannot afford coming over without one of us having a job and since my husband is an engineer we think he has a greater chance of getting a good job..
But he's rang a couple of recruitment agencies and they have fobbed him off saying that he's better off coming over through the points system and then hunting for a job locally...but it's too risky for us!
Is there a specific website for immigrants that are job hunting with employers "willing" to sponsor? What did you all do to find a job over there?
Help!!
Thanks again,
Silvia
You really should read the wiki articles about job hunting. One of the things they explain is that recruitment agencies form only a small part of job hunting strategy. Building a network through direct contact with employers is far more likely to be a successful route to a job.

Also, you should be aware that engineering is a graduate profession in Canada. Your OH will have no success looking for jobs that specify an engineer so should concentrate on technician positions in the area of his specialty.

To be honest, this is not a great time to be looking for a job. Unemployment rates all over Canada are starting to rise and no one is sure how bad it is going to get. I am relatively optimistic but others are predicting a melt-down. Whatever the actual outcome, there are more Canadians looking for jobs so there are less employers willing to go through the hassle of employing from overseas. It will also be more difficult to get an LMO in the areas of Canada where there employers are laying off their current workers.

You should identify skills that you have that are different to those of Canadians, and that are valuable to employers, then market them for all you are worth.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jimbloby7
Hi shelley, Do you know where i would find statistical data showing the decline in the housing market by Province and City?
HI there

you could try Stats Canada website

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/start-debut-eng.html

you can search by subject...
Old Jan 12th 2009, 4:06 pm

HI there

I think this guys data is accurate, tho his commentary irritates some people (those with houses mainly).

http://www.canadian-housing-price-ch...5.ca/index.htm
Old Jan 12th 2009, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I think this guys data is accurate, tho his commentary irritates some people (those with houses mainly).
the term 'plunge-o-meter' does rankle some.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 4:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold

HI there

stats can is an incredible resource. too much of a good thing maybe?

when determining where to aim for when migrating, it was an indispensible tool in finding out how many from where, of what age, of what education was headed where etc.

i am that kind of nerd! oh dear. i should have guessed they covered housing as well as population dynamics!
Old Jan 12th 2009, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by paolosmythe
stats can is an incredible resource. too much of a good thing maybe?

when determining where to aim for when migrating, it was an indispensible tool in finding out how many from where, of what age, of what education was headed where etc.

i am that kind of nerd! oh dear. i should have guessed they covered housing as well as population dynamics!
The stats about immigrant vs Canadian salaries over time is very interesting - annoyingly I can't remember what I searched for to find them

Ah here it is:
http://www12.statcan.ca/english/cens...d1=0&d2=1&d3=0

Last edited by Alan2005; Jan 12th 2009 at 5:20 pm. Reason: Found URL
Old May 11th 2009, 5:53 pm
Just Joined

BritinCanada will become famous soon enoughBritinCanada will become famous soon enough

Hi Shelley,

Since you're familiar with the banks over here I was wondering if you could advise:

I have 13,000 GBP left to pay on a loan with Barclays in the UK. I also have about 18,000 GBP on credit cards (largely down to moving to Canada and flat renovations in the UK), most of which was on a 0% rate until this month - I am making smallish payments each month, but now the interest I'm now being charged is crazy and I'm investigating options on how to alleviate the situation, as I can't afford to pay off even the interest I'm being charged per month.

I'm looking into getting a line of credit, and I'm going to see Scotiabank this afternoon. Since the rates advertised on their site are as low as the prime rate + 1% (ie under 4% currently), this is less than half the interest I'm paying on my Barclays loan, and less than a quarter of the credit card interest.

Do you think it's feasible to get a line of credit for $50,000 to pay both the loan and the credit cards in the UK and bring the debt over to Canada? The exchange rate is pretty good at the moment, and it would be easier to pay off debt in the same country, not to mention at a much lower interest rate. I did see one post on here from someone saying that he's been in Canada for 15 years and has a line of credit equivalent to 15% of his salary - is that a typical example? I'd be looking for 50%... Ideally I'd pay it off at $1000 a month for 5 years or so.

The complication with Scotiabank so far has been that I have a SIN which begins with 9. So far they've told me in no uncertain terms that this means that I cannot get an overdraft with them, even though they know my company, I had a proof of earnings letter from them, and I even had to pay $1200 for a bonded credit card with a limit of $1000 - they still quibbled about this because they wanted all of documentaion from British banks but after a lot of pleading eventually settled for my UK credit report. With all the expense of buying a car (necessary for my work), moving here, furnishing an apartment etc, this was another kick in the teeth. Therefore, I'm not expecting miracles from them but I'd appreciate any advice you might have on this.

My move to Canada was unexpected due to being offered a job here out of the blue - I had 3 months from inception to completion. Unfortunately the debt was necessary to avoid having to sell my flat in with negative equity - it was unrentable in its previous state as I bought it as a project 2 years ago, but now unfortunately it's worth only about 80% of what I paid for it.

Hoping you can advise! Thanks,

BritinCanada

Last edited by BritinCanada; May 11th 2009 at 5:55 pm. Reason: Extra info
Old May 11th 2009, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi there

Sorry to hear of your problems- you will not get a line of credit for that amount of $ which is unsecured- lenders are very nervous of a '9' for the SSN ( I know that a lot of you on here will moan about it but thats just the way it is).

I too had to go the secured credit card route when we came to Canada in 2002, so you are not alone there.

Honestly-I would try and come to some agreement with your UK credit card company.

Whoever told you about a line of credit is approx 15% of your salary is not telling you the truth-its based purely on your ability to pay, your credit history, your income and whatever debt you already have.

Sorry that I do not have better news for you.

Originally Posted by BritinCanada
Hi Shelley,

Since you're familiar with the banks over here I was wondering if you could advise:

I have 13,000 GBP left to pay on a loan with Barclays in the UK. I also have about 18,000 GBP on credit cards (largely down to moving to Canada and flat renovations in the UK), most of which was on a 0% rate until this month - I am making smallish payments each month, but now the interest I'm now being charged is crazy and I'm investigating options on how to alleviate the situation, as I can't afford to pay off even the interest I'm being charged per month.

I'm looking into getting a line of credit, and I'm going to see Scotiabank this afternoon. Since the rates advertised on their site are as low as the prime rate + 1% (ie under 4% currently), this is less than half the interest I'm paying on my Barclays loan, and less than a quarter of the credit card interest.

Do you think it's feasible to get a line of credit for $50,000 to pay both the loan and the credit cards in the UK and bring the debt over to Canada? The exchange rate is pretty good at the moment, and it would be easier to pay off debt in the same country, not to mention at a much lower interest rate. I did see one post on here from someone saying that he's been in Canada for 15 years and has a line of credit equivalent to 15% of his salary - is that a typical example? I'd be looking for 50%... Ideally I'd pay it off at $1000 a month for 5 years or so.

The complication with Scotiabank so far has been that I have a SIN which begins with 9. So far they've told me in no uncertain terms that this means that I cannot get an overdraft with them, even though they know my company, I had a proof of earnings letter from them, and I even had to pay $1200 for a bonded credit card with a limit of $1000 - they still quibbled about this because they wanted all of documentaion from British banks but after a lot of pleading eventually settled for my UK credit report. With all the expense of buying a car (necessary for my work), moving here, furnishing an apartment etc, this was another kick in the teeth. Therefore, I'm not expecting miracles from them but I'd appreciate any advice you might have on this.

My move to Canada was unexpected due to being offered a job here out of the blue - I had 3 months from inception to completion. Unfortunately the debt was necessary to avoid having to sell my flat in with negative equity - it was unrentable in its previous state as I bought it as a project 2 years ago, but now unfortunately it's worth only about 80% of what I paid for it.

Hoping you can advise! Thanks,

BritinCanada

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.