Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Help for those new Canadians

Help for those new Canadians

Old Dec 29th 2008, 2:25 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help for those new Canadians

Originally Posted by jimbloby7
Shelley, we are planning to live around Belleville for the first 6 months, and hope to live on Prince Edward island. Where about do you live? if you dont mind, anything you can tell us about the area would be appreciated.
Just to clarify, you are going to live initially in Belleville, Ontario then move 1500km to PEI? That's another substantial upheaval for the family. Why not emigrate directly to PEI?
Old Dec 29th 2008, 2:32 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brianscottie43
Just to clarify, you are going to live initially in Belleville, Ontario then move 1500km to PEI? That's another substantial upheaval for the family. Why not emigrate directly to PEI?
Maybe he meant Prince Edward County?
Old Dec 29th 2008, 2:37 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I suspected that.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 5:59 pm
50 and wanting to go back

jimbloby7 has a brilliant futurejimbloby7 has a brilliant futurejimbloby7 has a brilliant futurejimbloby7 has a brilliant futurejimbloby7 has a brilliant futurejimbloby7 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by brianscottie43
Yes, sorry, meant county
Old Dec 30th 2008, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by m4mm4l
Hi Shelley,

My wife (Natwest employee also) and I are on "the list" so will hopefully be making the move to Toronto in the next 6 - 12 months, we've done lots of research visits but have not thought about opening a bank account until now.
can we open one even though we're still in the UK or do we have to wait until we are in Canada ?
many thanks in advance.
Chris
Hi there

Yes to can open a new account before you get to Canada- just go to HSBC Canada website and look under tab "Immigration and Travel"

http://www.hsbc.ca/1/2/en/personal/i...l-services-new

is a link to open a new account!!!

Sorry for not replying sooner =have had no power for 2 days due to severe storms in Ontario!!
Old Jan 5th 2009, 1:59 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Shelley, we are planning to live around Belleville for the first 6 months, and hope to live on Prince Edward island. Where about do you live? if you dont mind, anything you can tell us about the area would be appreciated.
Fire Away... I've lived in the area for ten plus years. It's a good spot if you can find a decent job, although I dont really understand the lure of the county over the rest of Quinte...unless you like to shovel lake effect snow...

Last edited by iaink; Jan 5th 2009 at 2:07 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Fire Away...
Sorry I don't know much about PEI- Belleville is a nice place though..have been there once....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belleville,_Ontario
Old Jan 5th 2009, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by shelley748
Hi there- I have been a member of this site for a long time now.

I am from the UK originally and have been in Canada since 2002, now a proud CDN citizen.

I would be more than happy to give advice to any new CDN who wants to have help with Financial stuff. e. g bank accounts, mortgages etc... as I have over 30+ years experience, formally as a Nat West Mortgage advisor in the UK, then in Canada a Financial services Manager with Bank of Montreal, and Scotiabank...

Feel free to ask me whatever you want- establishing credit, how to get a mortgage, job advice etc......
Hi Shelley
That is very nice of you and I will keep you in mind.
Thanks
Old Jan 5th 2009, 4:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold

i went to my local HSBC today as they seem to be a conveniently consistent entity both here and in canada.

i was somewhat disappointed though, to find the branch is little more than a row of telephone kiosks, allowing you to dial up an anonymous call center operative somewhere.

i had hoped to secure a face to face meeting with someone who would consider the specifics of my current situation and future aspirations and advise accordingly.

all i did receive however, was the notion that HSBC are heavily promoting their off shore services (ie in the Isle of Man or Jersey) and seemed not to care a jot that they could profit from my exchanging a life saving's worth of Sterling into Loonie.

is the situation like this in canada, specifically BC?

and what is the best way of moving large sums from here over to there?
is it worth looking for a bank that might treat me favourably once i am ready and able to commit to a mortgage agreement (which i hope to do within 6 months of renting once landing over there)?

many thanks.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 7:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by paolosmythe
i went to my local HSBC today as they seem to be a conveniently consistent entity both here and in canada.

i was somewhat disappointed though, to find the branch is little more than a row of telephone kiosks, allowing you to dial up an anonymous call center operative somewhere.

i had hoped to secure a face to face meeting with someone who would consider the specifics of my current situation and future aspirations and advise accordingly.

all i did receive however, was the notion that HSBC are heavily promoting their off shore services (ie in the Isle of Man or Jersey) and seemed not to care a jot that they could profit from my exchanging a life saving's worth of Sterling into Loonie.

and what is the best way of moving large sums from here over to there?
is it worth looking for a bank that might treat me favourably once i am ready and able to commit to a mortgage agreement (which i hope to do within 6 months of renting once landing over there)?

many thanks.
Hi there- my advice to you would be to open an account with one of the bigger banks in Canada- HSBC branches are a little scattered around.

My recommendations would be TD, BMO,Scotiabank are the best ones..

As far as moving money, the best and safest way is a wire transfer bank to bank..

Expats banking is primarily for high net worth clients and you pay for it too!!

Hope that helps!!
Old Jan 5th 2009, 10:26 pm

jimbloby7 has a brilliant futurejimbloby7 has a brilliant futurejimbloby7 has a brilliant futurejimbloby7 has a brilliant futurejimbloby7 has a brilliant futurejimbloby7 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by iaink
Fire Away... I've lived in the area for ten plus years. It's a good spot if you can find a decent job, although I dont really understand the lure of the county over the rest of Quinte...unless you like to shovel lake effect snow...
ok, iaink, the lure for us is the sand banks, like the idea of going for a walk with familly on lake waters with a beach. probably sounds a bit silly, should really be looking for a location with high employment, better pray that Essroc and Kellogs will give me a job.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 10:55 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paolosmythe

At least in one respect, no it is not like this in Canada. When you go into a bank branch you will get to talk to real people. The tellers do not hide behind bullet proof glass screens. If your business is a little more complicated than the teller can deal with straight away there is almost always someone who will talk to you more privately.

This is true of all banks, not just HSBC. Having said this, I have a very positive relationship with HSBC in the Vancouver area and do not hesitate to recommend them. HSBC has its headquarters in Vancouver and has an extensive branch network. Given the origins of the bank and the demographics of the population here, it is not surprising that their staff have a lot of experience in international banking and money transfers. It is fair to say that other posters on this site, in other locations have been less than impressed.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by JonboyE
At least in one respect, no it is not like this in Canada. When you go into a bank branch you will get to talk to real people. The tellers do not hide behind bullet proof glass screens. If your business is a little more complicated than the teller can deal with straight away there is almost always someone who will talk to you more privately.

This is true of all banks, not just HSBC. Having said this, I have a very positive relationship with HSBC in the Vancouver area and do not hesitate to recommend them. HSBC has its headquarters in Vancouver and has an extensive branch network. Given the origins of the bank and the demographics of the population here, it is not surprising that their staff have a lot of experience in international banking and money transfers. It is fair to say that other posters on this site, in other locations have been less than impressed.
Today in the UK i had to arrange an international bankers draft for the Canadian receiver general. I first e-mail HSBC, they e-mailed back with the call center number, (Based in India), i rang call center had difficulties with translation so went into local bank at Morrisons, (5 mins away from home), they said go to main Branch 30 Mins away, ( found them not very helpful, i asked them to arrange for someone to ring me, they insisted that i would have to go to main branch), I went home and tried the call center again. Managed to arrange cheque this time, but felt that local Branch should have got someone to ring me. Maybe i am a bit impatient, but when i am paying out i expect a better response.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 11:46 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Today in the UK i had to arrange an international bankers draft for the Canadian receiver general. I first e-mail HSBC, they e-mailed back with the call center number, (Based in India), i rang call center had difficulties with translation so went into local bank at Morrisons, (5 mins away from home), they said go to main Branch 30 Mins away, ( found them not very helpful, i asked them to arrange for someone to ring me, they insisted that i would have to go to main branch), I went home and tried the call center again. Managed to arrange cheque this time, but felt that local Branch should have got someone to ring me. Maybe i am a bit impatient, but when i am paying out i expect a better response.
My procedure to get an international bank draft:

Go to my local branch and ask the teller for a bank draft for x in y currency. Wait two minutes for it to be prepared. Chat to the very cute young lady at the reception desk. Be on my way.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 12:10 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
My procedure to get an international bank draft:

Go to my local branch and ask the teller for a bank draft for x in y currency. Wait two minutes for it to be prepared. Chat to the very cute young lady at the reception desk. Be on my way.
I have done pretty much the same thing at TD. No chatting up the lady though as the wife was with me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.