British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Help! Supervisa and BC Drivers Licence exchange? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/help-supervisa-bc-drivers-licence-exchange-780619/)

Lorna_D Feb 20th 2014 12:30 pm

Re: Help! Supervisa and BC Drivers Licence exchange?

Originally Posted by dave_j (Post 11138464)
Since we have a number of contributors on line at present, I'll pose another related question.
I am here under the Supervisa scheme, that few officials seem to know anything about, for two years. The BC licence I acquired in exchange for my UK licence expires at the same time as my allotted stay in Canada expires.
I intend to apply for an extention to my stay, and plan to apply about two months before this happens.
If my stay is extended, I'll find myself in a similar position to that which I found myself in a few months ago in that I may have permission to stay but will I have documents that ICBC will accept to issue me with a new licence?
Does anyone know, or has anyone who has gone through this process already know, what documentation is issued when an extension to an existing visitor visa (supervisa visitor record in my case) is granted and if so do they know whether ICBC will accept it?
Dave J

Sorry Dave, this Supervisa is a new thing, therefore you may be blazing a trail for others. Perhaps you can put this as a new topic so more people can see it and help.

Steve_ Feb 20th 2014 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 11137107)
Well, as long as you've got a spare to swap, how would they ever know? I would never present or otherwise use the German license in Canada, but nonetheless I possess it and it's still valid until I'm 70.

Because there is a reciprocal agreement and they have access to each other's records under it to avoid people who get banned from driving for example using the other licence. So if you did it, got checked as a result, they could find out.

This question comes up on here a lot about having a foreign licence in addition to a provincial one, as I've said before, you need to check provincial law.

In Alberta and BC it is definitely illegal to hold more than one licence. In Saskatchewan they're okay with you holding a foreign one. In Ontario you cannot hold a US licence at the same time but you can hold one from a third country.

I did check some of the maritime provinces as well, can't remember now what they said except I think in NS you could do it. But check.

Given how easy it is to replace a GB licence at least I can't see why it's that big of a deal really. You may as well get rid of it if only for tax reasons.

Steve_ Feb 20th 2014 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by JonboyE (Post 11138185)
I think it is only the law that says it is illegal.

Every time I go to renew my BC license they ask if I still have my UK one. When I say yes they ask if I have got any points on it since the last time I renewed my BC license. When I say no they say thank you and continue to process my renewal.

They're really hot on it in Alberta, every single bit of paperwork you get says it's illegal and it's also printed on the back of the licence.

Gozit Feb 20th 2014 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_ (Post 11139946)
Because there is a reciprocal agreement and they have access to each other's records under it to avoid people who get banned from driving for example using the other licence. So if you did it, got checked as a result, they could find out.

This question comes up on here a lot about having a foreign licence in addition to a provincial one, as I've said before, you need to check provincial law.

In Alberta and BC it is definitely illegal to hold more than one licence. In Saskatchewan they're okay with you holding a foreign one. In Ontario you cannot hold a US licence at the same time but you can hold one from a third country.

I did check some of the maritime provinces as well, can't remember now what they said except I think in NS you could do it. But check.

Given how easy it is to replace a GB licence at least I can't see why it's that big of a deal really. You may as well get rid of it if only for tax reasons.

Nice..... Sounds like i'm covered :thumbup:

If they share information between each other why does it matter if one holds a foreign license?

Novocastrian Feb 20th 2014 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_ (Post 11139946)

In Ontario you cannot hold a US licence at the same time but you can hold one from a third country.

Did you actually read my post? In each case when it was possible I swapped a license for a new one under a reciprocal agreement. But the first time I moved abroad (to California in 1977) no such agreement existed. So I have two.

Why would, Ontario for example, make a query to the German licensing authorities, if I surrendered a US state license? Should they also check with Thailand and Zimbabwe?

Or since Your Province May Vary, should BC or AB check?

burks Feb 21st 2014 4:31 am

So I have a related question.. I am in BC currently with awaiting PR via common-law sponsorship. My second IEC expired last year, along with my BC driving license! I haven't been able to drive since :frown:

Would I be able to get my BC license back if I were to get a visitor record too? I applied to extend my visitor status and received what is titled a visitor record in the post today.. one of those colourful certificate looking like things, only it's bigger than the documents I had put in my passport for my IEC visa's.

Does anyone know? I do plan on phoning ICBC tomorrow, although previously when I have asked them all they have said is I need my COPR...

Gozit Feb 21st 2014 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 11139968)
Did you actually read my post? In each case when it was possible I swapped a license for a new one under a reciprocal agreement. But the first time I moved abroad (to California in 1977) no such agreement existed. So I have two.

Why would, Ontario for example, make a query to the German licensing authorities, if I surrendered a US state license? Should they also check with Thailand and Zimbabwe?

Exactly....... :goodpost:

Steve_ Feb 21st 2014 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 11139968)

You asked a question, the answer is that they have a reciprocal agreement. So they have the ability to check. They're not going to care about what your history of licensing is. Whether or not they will check is up to them - but they have the ability to do so.

They certainly check all provincial and territorial databases when you apply for a licence to check if you're licensed in Canada outside of the province where you've applied, that's routinely done for every application.

So if they apply the same procedure to foreign databases (which they can do) then they would find out. There are these things called "computers" you should familiarize yourself with.

For example I was on the phone to the CRA and they were able to bring up my US tax returns from years ago, because they're permitted to do so under the tax treaty.

In any event, as mentioned, Ontario doesn't care about foreign licenses except US ones and I don't think NS does either.

I just don't see the purpose of holding onto a foreign licence, there is zero benefit to it. Say you drove on your German licence, clearly they're going to figure out you have a Canadian one if you're pulled over. And if you drive using your Canadian licence, what purpose is there to the German one other than giving you a tie to Germany?

http://www.ontario.ca/driving-and-ro...rivers-licence

They can't check Thailand or Zimbabwe.

Gozit Feb 21st 2014 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_ (Post 11141336)
You asked a question, the answer is that they have a reciprocal agreement. So they have the ability to check. They're not going to care about what your history of licensing is. Whether or not they will check is up to them - but they have the ability to do so.

They certainly check all provincial and territorial databases when you apply for a licence to check if you're licensed in Canada outside of the province where you've applied, that's routinely done for every application.

So if they apply the same procedure to foreign databases (which they can do) then they would find out. There are these things called "computers" you should familiarize yourself with.

For example I was on the phone to the CRA and they were able to bring up my US tax returns from years ago, because they're permitted to do so under the tax treaty.

In any event, as mentioned, Ontario doesn't care about foreign licenses except US ones and I don't think NS does either.

I just don't see the purpose of holding onto a foreign licence, there is zero benefit to it. Say you drove on your German licence, clearly they're going to figure out you have a Canadian one if you're pulled over. And if you drive using your Canadian licence, what purpose is there to the German one other than giving you a tie to Germany?

http://www.ontario.ca/driving-and-ro...rivers-licence

They can't check Thailand or Zimbabwe.

He has an EU license. He has stated before he is moving to France soon. If he had the Canadian license only whilst in France, he would have to take a French driving test. Now, having the German one, according to EU law he can either keep driving on the German one till it expires (when he turns 70) then exchange it for a French one, or immediately exchange it for a French one.

What are you supposed to do, voluntarily "renounce" your foreign driving license even though no-one is asking for it or no-one cares ??