Reload this Page >

Help/suggestions needed for student on way to Wales

Help/suggestions needed for student on way to Wales

Old Aug 25th 2010, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

SweetEve is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help/suggestions needed for student on way to Wales

Originally Posted by Alberta_Rose

- I trained in Cardiff- residences for my first year,- moved out with four friends, three of whom were Welsh-speaking, and I found that Welsh-speakers tend to want to stick together, sometimes to the exclusion, (though maybe not intentional) of us "English".
- Maybe you'll be more accepted than a regular English person though, especially if you want to learn the language

Good luck!
How long have you been in Canada? Your avatar looks kind of familiar..
What did you take? and what area are you from, if you don't mind my asking.

A regular English person? I don't think I have ever met a 'regular English person' ..*thinking*..yup, pretty sure i haven't - hmm how would I tell one apart from the others.. I am pretty sure licking all of the English people to taste what flavour they are, would be frowned on ....

I am a bit concerned, as it is, about my 'acceptance' there. I have been told many times I do not seem very "Canadian female like' - whatever that means. So a bit worried I will not fit peoples expectations of what a 'Canadian female' is supposed to be like

Thank you!

*ppsstt.. slightly craving crisps..*
Old Aug 25th 2010, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by terese677
bore da Eve (morning)
-Swansea has some lovely areas around particularly around the Gower area and the people are very friendly.

Good luck with it all
Terese
bore da Terese

That it does, I have missed the ocean and trees!! Plus there are some amazing animals there. As for the people; I have spoken with almost everyone I needed to set things up with on the telephone and in e-mail, and I cannot believe the difference between receiving information there and here.

Thank you, have you made it here yet? Or are you still in Wales?
Old Aug 25th 2010, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by HPJOS
Eve,
If you can, leave the desktop at home or sell it and get a computer in the UK if you can afford it. Will save you a lot of hassle trying to convert the thing not to mention the shipping.

Have a great time at Uni!

Helen
My desktop has a switch to convert the power, so I guess I would just need an adapter once I get there. I have a laptop as well.. but I still don't really like it. And the cost of electronics seems really high there, or maybe it is just the sites I have seen.

I think I will have the time of my life, thank you!
Old Aug 25th 2010, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The Lees
Hello Eve,

I worked in Swansea Uni for 9 years and I'm sure you will love it!

Good luck
Nice, what did you do there? I am going to SMU and when I have said that on a couple student sites, people are not very 'polite' about either of the Swansea Unis - But I never and still have not looked at a 'league' table when I was looking at the unis over there. I am not the type of person to pick something 'just because' that is what everyone else is picking it, so it is the 'Top of the Charts'.
My response was always along the lines of 'so what research have they done at your uni over the last 5 years?', 'has your prof/tutors written anything I may have read, or might want to read?' but usually I would just say, 'what did the QAA report and response say about your uni?'.
Maybe it is because I am 20 years older then most of the student, but I would have thought that most of the international students would have spent time looking into past work coming out of their picks, but sadly most never heard of it.

Thank you, I have loved the place for 9+ months now and have dreamt of doing this for ~20 years. When I saw Swansea, I fell for the place. Plus, there are wild hedgehogs!
Old Aug 25th 2010, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lcar
One of my best friends came from Ontario to study at my old university in Lampeter (about 45 minutes from Swansea), and never wanted to leave. Swansea is a good place, with stunning beaches especially just up the road on the Gower.

You will probably be offered Welsh as a first year option, which can be fun. It is a difficult language to learn though - I've lived in Wales (Cardiff most of the time) for more than 20 years and still only know a bit (arafwch nawr - slow down - is one you will see a lot on the roads!).
But another non-Welsh friend now broadcasts in Welsh - so it can be done.
Good luck.
Lampeter was one of the ones I looked at, but they were not offering the programme. But Swansea was my first pick since day one. There is just something about the place and I have not even been there yet. But I am heading out about 20 days before classes start so I can spend time looking around and settling in.

I hope so, they have been switching some of their programmes around, so I have to wait until I get there.
nawr, I thought was .. now!
Which made me really like that term, considering the drivers here hardly ever stop. It sounds to me, blunt and to the point.

Thank you!
Old Aug 25th 2010, 7:02 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SweetEve
How long have you been in Canada? Your avatar looks kind of familiar..
What did you take? and what area are you from, if you don't mind my asking.

A regular English person? I don't think I have ever met a 'regular English person' ..*thinking*..yup, pretty sure i haven't - hmm how would I tell one apart from the others.. I am pretty sure licking all of the English people to taste what flavour they are, would be frowned on ....

I am a bit concerned, as it is, about my 'acceptance' there. I have been told many times I do not seem very "Canadian female like' - whatever that means. So a bit worried I will not fit peoples expectations of what a 'Canadian female' is supposed to be like

Thank you!

*ppsstt.. slightly craving crisps..*
I shouldn't worry about not being accepted. When I was there (30 years ago!) There was some angst in the Welsh Language Society regarding the English, and burning of English owned cottages etc!
But anyway you are not English - that's what I meant!
Old Aug 26th 2010, 12:26 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Plus there are some amazing animals there...
Mostly around Liberty Stadium I believe.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 3:32 am
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone for the responses, I have broken them up a bit, as some repeated and figured that would be a more efficient way of responding.

Transportation

-student rail card -train fares far cheaper.
-train tickets ( non student fares) from london to swansea for £25 one way if willing not to travel at peak times.
- Get yourself a Young Persons rail card, this gives you 1/3 off regular rail fare. Also look at National Express Bus company for potentially getting from London to Swansea, if you are struggling to get a cheap rail fare these are a good alternative when on a budget.
- I should be able to get the rail card after I am there I would imagine and set-up as a student?
- which site would I use to find these £25 one way tickets on?
- Would I be able to get a 'young persons card? I am 40 years old.. not really young, except in spirit.. I doubt that would count.

Accommodations
- For the first year people tend to live in , make friends and then move out to rent with the friends they have made, it might be better for you to do that and then you can find out the area in which you would like to rent after you find your way around.
-- The uni accommodation office will have loads of info on rental properties and even used to own their private rentals for families but may have sold them off by now.
-On the plus side the student accommodation off campus in Hendrefoilan is nice and not the usual student barracks! Some of the nearby private student accommodation in "studentville" which I've seen can be pretty dire!
- The advice to live in halls for your first year is good - it gives you a chance to get to know people and find your way around, and to make good friends who you would feel comfortable sharing a house with for the following years.
I used to stay during the holidays too, and had a similar issue of moving out of my hall during holidays. I found that some of the self-catering halls are open to students all year - I used to often borrow friends' rooms while they were away during holidays. It might be an option for you.
I decided to just go with the student halls. Thought it would be best and ain't that supposed to be part of the whole experience anyway? I will have my room the whole 40 weeks, than I will have to figure out something for the summer posibly. Might just see if anyone else wants to do some 'backpacking' around the countries.
I think I will take a look at Hendrefoilan and a couple other place for the next year.

Welsh

-swansea is not very welsh speaking though. the further you go to west wales the more it is spoken.
-North Wales or Mid-Wales who do have Welsh as their first (and preferred) language.
-(have you tried it at all, it's devillishly hard!)
--Welsh speakers are more prevalent now than before - my husband's family are Welsh speaking and are from the Swansea area
- but a short trip to Carmarthen or Llanelli and you will find it widely spoken in public.
- I am hoping to go on one of the 'Host Family Visits' at least once, each year. So I will be keeping those areas in mind.
- lol The accommodations was going to do like they have in the past, stick all the Canadians in a place together, I was firmly against that - so compared to that option, I am sure there will be plenty of opportunity to speak with Welsh speakers.
- I have the Rosetta Stone programme for it, and have listened to that and some things on-line. Including reading about the language structure. However, I have not tried speaking much of it, except for a couple words I have heard spoken by Welsh speakers while on the telephone.
Funny thing is, I am a Visual-Spatial Processor (Thinker) and the English language can be extremely difficult for me, especially when it comes to a new word. But Welsh, so far, seems very logical with how it is structured - non of that "spelt 'of', but sounds 'ov' or ph or f.
lol I may change my mind after trying it for the first couple months, but so far, I think it will be a perfect language for me to learn.
- Hehee Llanelli was my first Welsh word, I love the name and the sound of it and when I was speaking to different staff at SMU and had mentioned Llanelli, most were surprised that I could say it proper, or made a complement of one sort or another.

Rain
- Oh and make sure you have an umbrella, wellington boots and rain coat
-dont forget to pack your raincoat
- Oh, and watch out for the rain which will start falling as you cross the Severn Bridge!
I can't remember the last pair I had of those, the first pair was.. I was about 3/4 years old.. they were red and one of the few things I would allow on my feet. I grew up calling them wellingtons, wellies, gumboots and muckers.
A area I lived in was called Gumboot country.

Its odd actually

Ok... so what is up with the rain there, that others have not been telling me?
Honestly, this is the first time anyone has mentioned the rain to me..
But then, it could be that nobody mentioned it, because they knew where I was from.. except, and I hate to admit this, not many actually seem to know there is a place called Wales. I have ended up telling many people that I was going to England, after trying to explain it a couple times thatI was going to Wales. Some thought I was teasing them.. about going to a fictional mediaeval country.

I know it rains there a lot and I looked up the average rainfall, but it doesn't look that bad..

It is one of the things I am really looking forward to. I have been living in Saskatchewan for too many years now, and there is no real 4 seasons here..

Search Results: From June 1 , 2007 to August 24 , 2010 - Saskatoon Airport
This is not including the humidex
Max Temp: 36.8 °C
Max Temp.Date: Aug.19 2008
This is without the windchill, my fingernails froze off
Min temp: -41.1 °C
Min Temp. Date: Jan.4 2009
Precip Accumulation: 1035.2 mm 3.39632546 feet
Mist, fog and winter storms and the ocean near me, I will be in heaven, a bit of rain is not going to bother me - unless.. since living here I lost my duck and fish dna

But seriously, I am from Vancouver Island in BC. Most places I lived there averaged about 4 feet of rain a year - lived in Tofino for almost 2 years, but that did get a bit much.. it averages about 10 feet of rain each year. Your always wet and cold - chilled to the bones.

Canada weather link

Weather and Climate in Wales UK
weather link
Wales shares with Manchester, England, a reputation for being wet. In Manchester's case the reputation is largely unjustified, but most of Wales gets an awful lot of rain.

Of the four constituent countries of the Wales, Wales has the highest average rainfall. It boasts the wettest inhabited place in the UK, eight of the wettest towns, and the wettest city. The average yearly rainfall in the City of Swansea ranges from 43 inches at The Mumbles, and 48 inches in the city centre, to 56 inches in its northernmost suburbs such as Ynysforgan. The City of Cardiff is roughly 15 percent drier. In north Wales, Blaenau Ffestiniog, famous for its slate quarries and slate-grey skies, is second only to Fort William (Scotland) for rain amongst Britain's towns, with an annual average of 79 inches - more than twice what Manchester gets. The eastern flank of Snowdon is amongst the wettest places in the country, with a yearly average of at least 180 inches.
- lol.. I have had my raincoat since I left Vancouver Island
Old Aug 27th 2010, 3:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Alberta_Rose
I shouldn't worry about not being accepted. When I was there (30 years ago!) There was some angst in the Welsh Language Society regarding the English, and burning of English owned cottages etc!
But anyway you are not English - that's what I meant!
Oh wow..30 years ago is not that long ago.

lol.. the English thing.. it keeps confusing me a bit.. my 'live birth registry' says birth mothers race -English

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Mostly around Liberty Stadium I believe.
Old Aug 28th 2010, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

pontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Help/suggestions needed for student on way to Wales

As a Vancouver Islander, I wish you well in your Swansea adventure. In 92/93, I did a job swap with a woman from Cardiff and really enjoyed myself. I was a probation officer, so I got to see some of the less well off estates (Ely, for example) but even there I found the folk welcoming and humourous. I got to Swansea a couple of times during my stay, didn't spend enough time there to get to know it. Do try out the Cardiff nightlife if you get the chance and maybe cheer on the Cardiff Devils (ice) hockey team if you want to feel a bit Canadian. As for Welsh, I think I heard it spoken once during my entire year there. But (especially among the young) it has grown by leaps and bounds since.

As for fares, I just checked Railtrack and found London Paddington to Swansea fares from UKP12.50 to UKP16.00 quite easily:

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/en/s/farefinder/results#A

Enjoy yourself and check in to let us know how you're getting on
Old Aug 29th 2010, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

vaughant is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi eve,well done on your placement in Swansea metropolitain university!!

Right,I've lived here since 1979 so let me enlighten you.first of all,it dosent rain all the time,it's something English people always come up with,like we all sing in choirs and a lesiure centre is a sheep tied to a lampost!!

I am lucky as I live in a place called pennard,a five minute walk from 3 cliffs bay,one of the most beautiful places in Britain as it's right on the gower penninsular.mumbles is a beautiful bay with loads of lovely places to eat and visit,it's only about a half hour walk from the main uni but smp is actually in the centre of town,by the magistrates court and central police station,a pretty rough part of town in all honesty,so be careful.

People in Swansea are really good natured but there are a lot of idiots as well so be aware of walking about at night ,if you own or plan on owning a car make sure you keep your valuables out of site when you park it up as car crime is prevailent here,it's got much better over the years,but students can get targeted as a lot(yourself included) generally come from countries where crime is low.

Right,that's the bad bit out of the way,but just for you to know.nice areas for students to live are mumbles,west cross,sketty,parts of brynmill,but avoid townhill and east/north/central Swansea,can be a bit rough in some parts.obviously gower is great,but it's a bit far out to enjoy uni life that well and of course rentals are a lot more.

There's loads of great resturants,bars,coffee shops etc for your free time,loads of places to go and see ,bands playing in pubs,shops etc etc.there's a recently refurbed lesiure centre(not a new sheep) which has just about everything sportswise you could dream of.there's also an olymipic size swimming pool over by the hospital.you can get a passport to lesiure if your that way inclined which gives you big discounts everywhere.the marina area has again had millions spent on it and is now looking fab,you may get reasonably priced accomodation down there as a lot of people bought in the property boom and failed to rent them easily hence there's plenty to choose from.

The traffic on the mumbles road can be horriffic at peak times,huge tailbacks.the controversial bendy bus serves the student population well,so public transport is much better than before.

Wind streets good for boozy nights out,but a lot of students tend to go to the uplands tavern,watch a band and go to student night on the kingsway.

Bad timing I know but my next door neighbour has just left his job as student liason officer in Swansea uni to work in Exeter uni otherwise I'd get his email for you to chat further.

Well done for avoiding Lampeter,there's nothing there at all,total dump apart from the uni,and whoever said it's 45 mins from Swansea must have been using a jet,it's hour/hour and a half easy.if you want welsh speakers,just go up the valleys,some amazing scenery there.Cardiffs a lively place and a great day out,shops to rival anywhere over the bridge and only about 45 mins on the train......shame their our main football rivals.

As for football(or soccer as you may call it) pop up the liberty anytime you like to see how the game should be played,and don't worry about the animals johnny b talks about,they only come out when we play Cardiff!!!

Speaking of animals,there's a little zoo in the middle of singleton park,but you'll see hundreds of squirrels,hedgehogs,foxes etc in everyday life.

Good luck and pm me for any info you like,thanks,Vaughan.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 9:00 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I would rather a bit then none at all. I figure if I can speak it as much as possible I will pick it up easier.

Any suggestions as to shipping stuff over?
And watch the Young Ones if you want to understand British university culture. Apart from the characters, the plots and the bands the programme is still very relevant.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

vaughant is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Oink
And watch the Young Ones if you want to understand British university culture. Apart from the characters, the plots and the bands the programme is still very relevant.
hee hee,very true that!!!You could probably get motorhead to play in your front room now as well as their getting on a bit!!!