Help for prospective Social Worker

Wikiposts

Help for prospective Social Worker

Old Jun 24th 2014, 8:56 am
Just Joined

Whiskey1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help for prospective Social Worker

Hi guys,

Hopefully someone will be able to help me with this one.

I am about to start a Social Work Masters programme in the UK with the ultimate aim of practicing social work in Canada.

As social work is a registered profession I would be required to register with one of the social work colleges in the respective provinces.

My question is...

If I was to register with the BC College of Social Workers for example, by getting my credentials evaluated for equivalency, would I then be able to apply for positions in the province?

Would employers be able to employ me solely on this basis, or would I need to acquire a working visa beforehand?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Whiskey1; Jun 24th 2014 at 8:57 am. Reason: edit
Old Jun 24th 2014, 4:14 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help for prospective Social Worker

Hi

Originally Posted by Whiskey1
Hi guys,

Hopefully someone will be able to help me with this one.

I am about to start a Social Work Masters programme in the UK with the ultimate aim of practicing social work in Canada.

As social work is a registered profession I would be required to register with one of the social work colleges in the respective provinces.

My question is...

If I was to register with the BC College of Social Workers for example, by getting my credentials evaluated for equivalency, would I then be able to apply for positions in the province?

Would employers be able to employ me solely on this basis, or would I need to acquire a working visa beforehand?

Thanks in advance!

1. The employer would have to obtain a LMIA (No Canadians/PRs available and have to show recruitment efforts/advertising), plus then you would require a work permit.
Old Jun 25th 2014, 3:26 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to do social work in Canada, why don't you just do it here?
Old Jun 28th 2014, 10:56 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
If you want to do social work in Canada, why don't you just do it here?
+1 on that.

In was talking to my SIL yesterday who lives in ON, is Canadian & has both bachelors and Masters degrees in social work. Her opinion was that without a Canadian degree you will find gaining employment as a social worker next to impossible.