Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Help Please health coverage before 3 month wait OHIP?

Help Please health coverage before 3 month wait OHIP?

Old Jul 11th 2010, 3:20 am
I'm a girl, dagnabbit! :)

Wannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud of
Default Re: Help Please health coverage before 3 month wait OHIP?

I went with Blue Cross for coverage before OHIP kicked in (and for a while after, while I had a job with no benefits). They were fine, although I found the premiums increased pretty fast when I started using their dental plan to the max lol.

A fact I stumbled upon by chance (and I'm not sure if it's still a fact...) is that OHIP counts the month you land as a full month, no matter what date you land. For me, who landed on the 23rd of December, that meant that I was eligible for OHIP on March 1st, and not March 23rd, as I originally thought.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 6:53 am
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you everyone for your replies, I will look into all suggestions
Gonna be busy
lol
Stef
Old Jul 13th 2010, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

zoec is an unknown quantity at this point

I went with Manulife, there was no excess and I had heard they are a reputable company, I haven't claimed anything yet though! It was 182 dollars for one person for $25,0000 medical coverage.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

Psyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan
Hi
Hope someone can help. I have had a read of the WIKI pages related to providers, but what I am really interested to hear is from anyone who has bought it for a family of 4 ( 2 Adults and two children), how much it costs and which are the favoured providers used by you. Also, did you need to make a claim, if so, any problems? I know it is a big ask....but I know how helpful you can be.
Thanks
Stef
We are a family of 4 (39, 31, 8, 2) cost was $681.00 from Pacific Blue Cross, Visitors to Canada bit covers Immigrants during waiting period, not the cheapest but then i thought more comprehensive cover. Unfortunately found out yesterday our 8 year old has an abcess and found out today the dental coverage only applies to Accidental Dental Injury, bugger!

Also went for PBC as my employer uses them, so thought must be a good one!
Old Feb 13th 2011, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

florrie2011 is an unknown quantity at this point

ExMetCop - I've noticed a few threads from you and think you are probably in a good position to help with some questions we have about relocating to Burlington area as a Met officer. Any chance you can help??

My husband has 12 years in the Met - rank Sargeant.

I am Canadian born but have lived in UK for years and years - have jst applied for our young daughters to become Canadian citizens and will do the same for my husband (PR I guess) once we are clearer about his possible job move to Canada.

I lived in Burlington from 2000-2004 so know it really well!

Will his years in service be recognised by for example Halton Region? We are sure that Toronto don't.
Would his rank be carried over?
What is work life like in general?

We have a load of questions if you have time to answer them! Maybe you could PM me??

Cheers
Old Feb 13th 2011, 2:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by florrie2011
ExMetCop - I've noticed a few threads from you and think you are probably in a good position to help with some questions we have about relocating to Burlington area as a Met officer. Any chance you can help??

My husband has 12 years in the Met - rank Sargeant.

I am Canadian born but have lived in UK for years and years - have jst applied for our young daughters to become Canadian citizens and will do the same for my husband (PR I guess) once we are clearer about his possible job move to Canada.

I lived in Burlington from 2000-2004 so know it really well!

Will his years in service be recognised by for example Halton Region? We are sure that Toronto don't.
Would his rank be carried over?
What is work life like in general?

We have a load of questions if you have time to answer them! Maybe you could PM me??

Cheers
It would be better to start your own thread with these questions, either in the main Canada forum or in the Police forum - this thread is very old, and ExMetCop hasn't been on the forum since August of last year so is unlikely to see your questions.

Please also have a read of the 'Newcomers to the Forum' sticky at the top of the forum which includes hints and tips on how to use it.

Thanks, and good luck.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 2:33 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.duinsure.com/sites/duinsu...ies_Emigration ex-pat insurance which you can get to cover the interim period.