Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Help PLease! 2 BR RENTAL COMMERCIAL DRIVE, VAN URGENT!!

Wikiposts

Help PLease! 2 BR RENTAL COMMERCIAL DRIVE, VAN URGENT!!

Old May 12th 2011, 4:21 am
Forum Regular

oceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really nice
Default Help PLease! 2 BR RENTAL COMMERCIAL DRIVE, VAN URGENT!!

Dear All,
I'm starting to panic!
We (2 adults & 2 three yr olds) fly to Vancouver on Sat 11th June & would like to rent for about 3 - 6 months a 2 bedroom place (preferably unfurnished) in the Commercial Drive area... We hope to buy around the area...

I'm getting no luck on Craigslist - people want to meet up person & we're still here in the UK!! We have a lovely B&B booked for the 1st two nights in the Trout Lake area but I'm getting very nervous that we have nothing lined up yet.

Does anyone have anything or any ideas please??

HUGE THANKS!!!!
Old May 12th 2011, 4:36 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help PLease! 2 BR RENTAL COMMERCIAL DRIVE, VAN URGENT!!

Originally Posted by oceaneoneill
Dear All,
I'm starting to panic!
We (2 adults & 2 three yr olds) fly to Vancouver on Sat 11th June & would like to rent for about 3 - 6 months a 2 bedroom place (preferably unfurnished) in the Commercial Drive area... We hope to buy around the area...

I'm getting no luck on Craigslist - people want to meet up person & we're still here in the UK!! We have a lovely B&B booked for the 1st two nights in the Trout Lake area but I'm getting very nervous that we have nothing lined up yet.

HUGE THANKS!!!!
Sorry can't help you - apart from to say - don't rent anything on Craigslist if they don't want to meet you first - there are a ton of scams on there and they operate them by asking the renter to send the deposit (two months rent) and then they will send you the key. Obviously - once you have sent the money you are never going to see the key.
Old May 12th 2011, 4:37 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Not immediately helpful ones. A lot of business is done face to face here. I would want to meet prospective tenants before renting a place to them. Otherwise I would want to charge a lot more for the extra risk of renting to a weirdo or someone setting up a meth lab.

Move in dates are often the first of the month so be prepared to find alternative accommodation for the rest of June. A cheapish motel with rooms with a kitchenette is one option.

When you get here spend the first day opening a bank account and getting your SINs. Then make finding a place your top priority. Use craig's list for sure but also walk the streets looking for To Let signs in windows.

It sounds a pain but console yourselves with the through that places that rent sight unseen are generally overpriced and rarely live up to the photos.
Old May 12th 2011, 4:37 am
Forum Regular

Location: Dewsbury, West Yorkshire but aiming for distant shores....
Reaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to behold

Not sure if its what you are looking for but try this link....

Vancouver Short Stay

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Reaver; May 12th 2011 at 5:05 am.
Old May 12th 2011, 4:51 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oceaneoneill
Dear All,
I'm starting to panic!

HUGE THANKS!!!!
Have a word with Hellcat on here, she may be able to offer a room for a short while, although it sounds like it's not Commercial Drive.
Old May 12th 2011, 5:24 am
Forum Regular

jameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to all

Try Kijiji

Stupid name, great site.
Old May 12th 2011, 6:04 am
Forum Regular

oceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really niceoceaneoneill is just really nice

Hmmmm yes I thought of that..!

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
Sorry can't help you - apart from to say - don't rent anything on Craigslist if they don't want to meet you first - there are a ton of scams on there and they operate them by asking the renter to send the deposit (two months rent) and then they will send you the key. Obviously - once you have sent the money you are never going to see the key.
Old May 12th 2011, 6:05 am
Forum Regular

Thanks!! Will check it out right now!

Originally Posted by Reaver
Not sure if its what you are looking for but try this link....

Vancouver Short Stay

Hope that helps.

Old May 12th 2011, 6:12 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Check out:

http://www.facultyassoc.ubc.ca/housing.php

As its UBC Faculty its a step above Craigslist. It would be a good time to year to find something as academics will pretty much have gone to Europe for the summer by now. I suspect most places might be furnished though.
Old May 12th 2011, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for that great advice. It's kind of what I thought!
Looks like I need to find something temporary to find our temporary accommodation... June could be an expensive month!

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Not immediately helpful ones. A lot of business is done face to face here. I would want to meet prospective tenants before renting a place to them. Otherwise I would want to charge a lot more for the extra risk of renting to a weirdo or someone setting up a meth lab.

Move in dates are often the first of the month so be prepared to find alternative accommodation for the rest of June. A cheapish motel with rooms with a kitchenette is one option.

When you get here spend the first day opening a bank account and getting your SINs. Then make finding a place your top priority. Use craig's list for sure but also walk the streets looking for To Let signs in windows.

It sounds a pain but console yourselves with the through that places that rent sight unseen are generally overpriced and rarely live up to the photos.
Old May 12th 2011, 6:16 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jameswales
Try Kijiji

Stupid name, great site.
It is worth a look, but in Vancouver Craig's List is much more popular.
Old May 12th 2011, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

Very helpful site - thanks! I'm not wedded to unfurnished as I guess we could store our belongings...

Originally Posted by lmartin999
Check out:

http://www.facultyassoc.ubc.ca/housing.php

As its UBC Faculty its a step above Craigslist. It would be a good time to year to find something as academics will pretty much have gone to Europe for the summer by now. I suspect most places might be furnished though.