Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Help needed by those who have done it... :)

Help needed by those who have done it... :)

Old Oct 8th 2004, 8:44 pm
  #1  
Ay-Im from Blackburn me
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 128
royyboy will become famous soon enough
Default Help needed by those who have done it... :)

Hi Guys.
Wonder if anyone can help me out here.
Guessing this really is aimed at those who have done it-im calling on your experience here
I fly off to start "the new life" on monday morning. We have all our belongings packed, anything not going is sold. now,:-
My goods accompanying is complete (i think) one is form b4 which has space for 7 items, then bits for cars etc. b4a has listing room for many more. I have filled in first 7 on b4, and added rest to b4a. is this correct, or does it ALL go on b4a then number pages accordingly.
How descript does this list need to be, if its a non generic item, it is listed as what it is with serial number and value, where appropriate. Im guessing things like clothes/toiletries etc can be labelled as Misc items-value $xx? is this all correct?

I plan to take my pc in bits-everything except the case basically...(Anyone know a good place to buy cases in Ottawa?) I have added these to my list, with serials and value. I plan to have the main pc components in my main luggage, and hard drives in my hand luggage, as scanners can wipe them. Is this ok, and are hard disks checked? Nothing to hide, just wondered if and how.
Got tickets, got landing visa, got copr, luggage is good to go. Moneys changed..can anyone think of anything important i may have missed?
Get yer thinking caps on peepz
Thanx all of you for the help youve shown us already. If yer ever in ottawa, look me up, i'll take ya fer a molsen at kelseys
royyboy is offline  
Old Oct 8th 2004, 9:25 pm
  #2  
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 3,010
DIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help needed by those who have done it... :)

Cant help you ther mate as we have not got to that stage yet...but there are plenty on here who have so you will get lots of good advise
Just wanted to wish you a happy and healthy life in Canada. Have a good trip and keep us posted when you you get there.
DIMO8 is offline  
Old Oct 8th 2004, 9:25 pm
  #3  
Glaswegian
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Help needed by those who have done it... :)

Originally Posted by royyboy
Hi Guys.
..can anyone think of anything important i may have missed?
Get yer thinking caps on peepz
Have you:

Told the electricity/gas/phone people you are leaving the country rather than just moving across town. You need your accounts cleared to nil rather than a balance moved to your new address.

Told the council tax office - again you need your account standing at nil. If you have prepaid you would be due a refund.

Told the TV licence people - you can get a refund of unused licence fees (at least you could a few years ago)

Have you arranged for your bank to take instructions by fax - a special form needs to be filled out at the bank. Even if you dont think you need this service its a good idea to have it as a back-up plan.

Have you arranged somewhere to redirected your mail while you are 'homeless'? Parent, friend etc until you can arrange international redirection.

Have you left the appropriate Christmas presents with someone - airmail is pricy and you will be busy enough.

Have you got travel insurance that is appropriate for immigrants - and have you followed up on any notifications you need to provide just before travelling (ie medication, histories etc)

Have you got any prescription medicines you need (still in the original package) and enough to last for at least 2 to 3 months?

Kids? - teddy goes in the hand luggage. Nappies etc more than you would think you need. Spare clothes - vomit is not easily contained on a plane(talking from experience here ) Have you got the official transcript of the vaccine record? Have you got school report cards?

Have you got somewhere to sleep for at least the first night when you land.

Have you got your proof of funds

That should get you started if you missed anything.

Mrs G
 
Old Oct 8th 2004, 10:02 pm
  #4  
Ay-Im from Blackburn me
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 128
royyboy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Help needed by those who have done it... :)

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
Have you:

Told the electricity/gas/phone people you are leaving the country rather than just moving across town. You need your accounts cleared to nil rather than a balance moved to your new address.

Told the council tax office - again you need your account standing at nil. If you have prepaid you would be due a refund.

Told the TV licence people - you can get a refund of unused licence fees (at least you could a few years ago)

Have you arranged for your bank to take instructions by fax - a special form needs to be filled out at the bank. Even if you dont think you need this service its a good idea to have it as a back-up plan.

Have you arranged somewhere to redirected your mail while you are 'homeless'? Parent, friend etc until you can arrange international redirection.

Have you left the appropriate Christmas presents with someone - airmail is pricy and you will be busy enough.

Have you got travel insurance that is appropriate for immigrants - and have you followed up on any notifications you need to provide just before travelling (ie medication, histories etc)

Have you got any prescription medicines you need (still in the original package) and enough to last for at least 2 to 3 months?

Kids? - teddy goes in the hand luggage. Nappies etc more than you would think you need. Spare clothes - vomit is not easily contained on a plane(talking from experience here ) Have you got the official transcript of the vaccine record? Have you got school report cards?

Have you got somewhere to sleep for at least the first night when you land.

Have you got your proof of funds

That should get you started if you missed anything.

Mrs G
Blimey, nearly made me miss a beat then
Told the electricity/gas/phone people you are leaving the country - YEP
Told the council tax office - YEP refund papers are in, they know my addy in Canada
Told the TV licence people - N/A House came with all bils in
Have you arranged for your bank to take instructions by fax - Accounts closed bar one which we can access by net
Have you arranged somewhere to redirected your mail - YEP
Have you got travel insurance that is appropriate for immigrants - YEP
Have you got any prescription medicines you need - N/A
Kids? - None yet
Have you got somewhere to sleep for at least the first night when you land. - YEP, staying with wifes folks for a while till we get sorted
Have you got your proof of funds - YEP

Really useful, glad i got them nudges, now i know i have done those things, thank you

Aint moving a bit taxing on the brain
royyboy is offline  
Old Oct 8th 2004, 10:09 pm
  #5  
Glaswegian
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Help needed by those who have done it... :)

Originally Posted by royyboy

Aint moving a bit taxing on the brain
Do you have to give the Revenue more ideas?


Glad to hear to seem to have it all under control. I'm sure others might think of some other things you could consider.

Mrs G
 
Old Oct 9th 2004, 12:08 pm
  #6  
Once bemused
 
Rhodes's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Ontario
Posts: 2,010
Rhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really nice
Default Re: Help needed by those who have done it... :)

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
Do you have to give the Revenue more ideas?


I was thinkingI must draw up a list soon, so I'll use Mrs G's as a basis.

The best of British to you, royyboy, and I hope that MissingCanada finds that the country is as she had expected it.

So envious, but we shouldn't be too far behind. Don't forget us when you get there, assuming you can find a case for your computer bits.
Rhodes is offline  
Old Oct 9th 2004, 12:50 pm
  #7  
Ay-Im from Blackburn me
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 128
royyboy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Help needed by those who have done it... :)

ehehehe, no fear of that matey, im buying a case tuesday, rogers should be live by then, got her mum working on that one...3mb line thank youuuu very much rogers

Will keep ya'll updated how its going when we get there etc.
Soon be there rhodes, soon be there....
royyboy is offline  
Old Oct 9th 2004, 2:34 pm
  #8  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 88
Virgosah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help needed by those who have done it... :)

Stupid questions, I know... but what is form B4 and where do we get it? Also - I thought if you were entering Canada as a PR in family class (spouse) you didn't need proof of funds...

And info would be much appreciated...


Originally Posted by royyboy
ehehehe, no fear of that matey, im buying a case tuesday, rogers should be live by then, got her mum working on that one...3mb line thank youuuu very much rogers

Will keep ya'll updated how its going when we get there etc.
Soon be there rhodes, soon be there....
Virgosah is offline  
Old Oct 9th 2004, 7:25 pm
  #9  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 846
wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of
Default Re: Help needed by those who have done it... :)

I wouldn't nother with form B4. If you don't fill it in then the customs guy will fill one in ayway when you go through customs after landing and declare your goods. I just made a goods with / goods to follow list that listed all the boxes and individual items of value etc. with approx Canadian Dollar resale value and serials for electronics, as you would put on form B4 and gave that to cusoms and they just read it over and then fill in the main details on B4 and then staple it all together. That way it avoids you filling in the wrong bit of the form etc and having them re-do it anyway.

I did exactly what you did and left the heavy PC case in the UK and just took the components. I took the P/S simply because there was room in the suitcase and they cost like $50 for a decent one so why not bring a perfectly good one for free. I just said "various computer components" on my list of what was with me. One handy thing I found was that, at least with KLM, they let you purchase an extra piece of luggage or more I guess, I just got one. So I payed them 70 pounds and they let me take another suitase which was the same as the others as far as weight and size goes. So I got to bring with me an extra say 36kg for 70 and have it there with me at the aiport where as someone like Fedex charges 90 for a crappy cardboard 25kg box that would probably arrive smashed up in pieces.

Drew
wizzard is offline  
Old Oct 9th 2004, 7:31 pm
  #10  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 238
Brodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really nice
Default Re: Help needed by those who have done it... :)

I havent read the complete post, but this will probably be usefull either way.
A list of many Canadian online computer stores that you can order from. It is from a computer site I post on so I havent checked every single link, but the ones I have are very usefull.


http://www.a-power.com
http://www.anitec.ca
http://www.bigfootcomputers.com/
http://www.canadacomputers.com
http://www.cendirect.com
http://www.computers-canada.com
http://www.crawfordmicrosystems.com/
http://www.frontierpc.com/
http://www.greytech.com
http://www.inmax.ca: www.inmax.ca
http://www.microbytes.com
http://www.ncix.com
http://www.pccanada.com
http://www.pccanada.com/competition.asp competitors in and around Toronto
http://www.pricenetwork.ca/
http://www.sonaggi.com/
http://www.shoprbc.com
http://www.techparadise.com
http://www.TigerDirect.ca
http://www.vibecomputers.com
Brodel is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.