Reload this Page >

Help with my Final Tax Return

Help with my Final Tax Return

Old Apr 7th 2020, 1:10 pm
Just Joined

oxygen28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help with my Final Tax Return

Hi everyone.

I need your help. I'm currently doing my final income tax return (2019) in Canada through uFile system. I did it the same as previous tax years. However, this time, I put non-resident (as I permanently live in the UK as of Aug2019) as of December 31, 2019. I have informed CRA and change my address from BC to UK home address. And I was advised to just file 2019 Tax return once its filing season. Having said, after finishing the interview part on uFile, I can't send it due to error. My question is:

1.) If I cannot use NETFILE (online filing) because I am non-resident, is there any online system I can use to file my Income Tax Return online? If YES, what is it?
2.) If On Paper;
a) Can I just print the uFile generate computation and the post it to CRA? or
b) If I use the package at CRA website (paper based filing) 2019 Non-Residents and Deemed Residents of Canada Income Tax and Benefit Package, do I need to file-up and print everything although some doesn't apply to my case.
b.1) Can you please suggest which forms I should only use. I didn't work in 2019 (CA & UK) & I do not own any property.

Thank you so much and hoping for your replies and recommendations.
Old Apr 7th 2020, 2:45 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with my Final Tax Return

This is where we miss jonboy's expertise.

Before netfiling came in, we used to do 'the interview' save and print and then mail to CRA using the envelopes that came with the forms available from the PO.

The only thing that changed on netfiling was saving and then netfile it. Didn't have to think about anything else.

The year my wife died I couldn't netfile hers. Not sure why that wasn't possible. I had a bit of pro-rata stuff to do on the income splitting because it was only part of a tax year but other than that, there wasn't much hugely different. I saved and printed just as I had done before netfiling came in.

I don't think any alternative will allow you to netfile. I think it's either you can or you can't (because of circumstances) and not dependent upon which service used.
Old Apr 7th 2020, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
This is where we miss jonboy's expertise.

Before netfiling came in, we used to do 'the interview' save and print and then mail to CRA using the envelopes that came with the forms available from the PO.

The only thing that changed on netfiling was saving and then netfile it. Didn't have to think about anything else.

The year my wife died I couldn't netfile hers. Not sure why that wasn't possible. I had a bit of pro-rata stuff to do on the income splitting because it was only part of a tax year but other than that, there wasn't much hugely different. I saved and printed just as I had done before netfiling came in.

I don't think any alternative will allow you to netfile. I think it's either you can or you can't (because of circumstances) and not dependent upon which service used.
Thanks for your reply BristolUK. I guess I need to do it on paper then. Only need to know if I can just use the one that can be generated on uFile and then print it or should use the one from CRA tax return package for nan-immigrants.

Thanks again.
Old Apr 7th 2020, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cheltonian has a reputation beyond reputeCheltonian has a reputation beyond reputeCheltonian has a reputation beyond reputeCheltonian has a reputation beyond reputeCheltonian has a reputation beyond reputeCheltonian has a reputation beyond reputeCheltonian has a reputation beyond reputeCheltonian has a reputation beyond reputeCheltonian has a reputation beyond reputeCheltonian has a reputation beyond reputeCheltonian has a reputation beyond repute

I used the online forms that come in "fillable" PDF format. fill em out on yer computer, print em off, save a copy on yer hard drive, send em in job done. And if they aint to CRA's liking they will be sure to let you know.
Old Apr 10th 2020, 5:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

We have mailed in a printed UFile version before and it was accepted/acceptable. I’d mail the one you have already prepared.
Old Apr 12th 2020, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Cheltonian View Post
I used the online forms that come in "fillable" PDF format. fill em out on yer computer, print em off, save a copy on yer hard drive, send em in job done. And if they aint to CRA's liking they will be sure to let you know.
Thanks fr your reply.
And yeah, I've just downloaded all the forms included in the package thru CRA website.

Regards and Happy Easter
Old Apr 12th 2020, 1:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ann m View Post
We have mailed in a printed UFile version before and it was accepted/acceptable. I’d mail the one you have already prepared.
Oh great! I supposed it works fine and no further issues? And this is also your final tax when you emigrated from Canada right? When was it?
I'm sorry, I was just thinking because if the one's in uFile is okay, it saves me a lot of reading and filing up forms.. and of course lesser error.

thanks a lot and Happy Easter