Reload this Page >

Help! Moving to Canada whilst working part-time for UK company

Help! Moving to Canada whilst working part-time for UK company

Old Mar 13th 2023, 4:43 pm
Just Joined

TJCasey99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Help! Moving to Canada whilst working part-time for UK company

Hi all,

I would like to apologise in advance if this has already been answered. From my research I haven't seen a similar situation to mine.

I am moving from UK/Ireland in July to Vancouver with my girlfriend. We have both been approved for a Working Holiday Visa.
I currently work full-time for a UK company and pay the standard tax rates etc. My company has offered me part-time work for the first while (thinking 3-6 months) with about 15-20 hours a week.
This is a short term thing just to ensure I have some income coming in while enjoying my first few months living abroad.

As this will only be temporary, and for the remaining time I will probably sought after Canadian employment, my question is: are there any sort of implications to this, such as tax etc...

From what I have read I was going to continue being paid GBP to my UK account and pay tax on whatever income I am receiving but would I have to declare this to the Canadian government.

Sorry if I have not got enough info, any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I have just realised that I will not be meeting the minimum threshold for either Canada nor the UK to pay tax, will this be the case and I can stop worrying about it lol.

Thanks very much,
TJ

Last edited by TJCasey99; Mar 13th 2023 at 4:59 pm.
Old Mar 14th 2023, 6:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help! Moving to Canada whilst working part-time for UK company

Hi, welcome to BE.

You will be tax resident in Canada, so that’s where you’ll need to pay any income tax that is due. If you search the forum you’ll find tons of threads with info on setting up as self employed so you can work remotely there.

HTH, good luck.