Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Help me pick a car please.....

Help me pick a car please.....

Old Jun 4th 2013, 4:24 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help me pick a car please.....

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
What is the point of a "high performance vehicle" in North America, with low speeds limits and straight roads?
BC has plenty of twisty roads to enjoy a performance bike or car on.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 4:26 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

That is one big truck. We struggle to transport 30 square bales in a two horse trailer, one whose internal dividing wall can be attached against the side of the trailer.
I got 25 in/on an F250 (only for a mile on the road though) so that's 4, realistically 5, trips. The LC would hold 12 + 4 on the roof. The PBC holds 5. The problem with the latter two being that you have to live with grass in the interior for the rest of the life of the vehicle.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

delsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud of

What is the point of a "high performance vehicle" in North America, with low speeds limits and straight roads?
Even if you are only allowed to go 100km some people like getting to 100 faster lol. I do agree that having more power is more fun on the bendy country roads rather than just straight line driving.

..and believe it or nor some of these people with high performance vehicles speed!
Old Jun 4th 2013, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

delsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dbd33
Well, I ran a 1987 LC with a manual transmission for years, though rarely on the road. I believe the Four Runner to be the urbanist imitation of that vehicle so I think I know whereof I speak.
OK and respect for the 87 LC - you are qualified Yes the 4Runner has been smoothed out and refined over the years but a very different vehicle to a Dodge Caravan. I chose 4Runner on purpose - I would feel your points would have worked better if I had said Dodge Journey or the like.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 4:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by delsol79
Even if you are only allowed to go 100km some people like getting to 100 faster lol. I do agree that having more power is more fun on the bendy country roads rather than just straight line driving.

..and believe it or nor some of these people with high performance vehicles speed!
I accept the speeding issue but, on a straight road, is there much difference driving a performance vehicle at speed when compared to a regular one?
Old Jun 4th 2013, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
I cannot reconcile the idea of "aesthetically pleasing" and "high performance" with the concept of an SUV. Once you need more room than that provided by a sports car, you've already abandoned the quest for performance and aesthetics. Car lovers don't buy SUVs.
They do when they need a larger family vehicle than a car and of course they are going to apply the same principles of what they like as much as possible. Most people do not have A6 Avant money and it wouldn't work as a family car. I previously had an A5 when only one kid and no dog and whilst I loved the car it was a nightmare as a family car.

Saying that I fully get you - I was resistant to the SUV myself lol. My first requirement was that we still had to have a car as well
Old Jun 4th 2013, 4:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I got 25 in/on an F250 (only for a mile on the road though) so that's 4, realistically 5, trips. The LC would hold 12 + 4 on the roof. The PBC holds 5. The problem with the latter two being that you have to live with grass in the interior for the rest of the life of the vehicle.
Bloody hell, kudos to you

I am still picking out bits of vegetation from a fleece I wore when unloading 30 squares once. I can see why rural folk all wear the same outer garments
Old Jun 4th 2013, 4:43 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by delsol79
OK and respect for the 87 LC - you are qualified Yes the 4Runner has been smoothed out and refined over the years but a very different vehicle to a Dodge Caravan. I chose 4Runner on purpose - I would feel your points would have worked better if I had said Dodge Journey or the like.
I drove the LC from CO, iirc it was 19 years old at the time. In some ways it was impressive; there was never any issue that it might break down. But, oh dear, it was a loudy and bumpy ride involving stopping at every petrol station along the way. The 4Runner gives something up against it off road but has to be a lot more usable on the road.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 4:44 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

I am still picking out bits of vegetation from a fleece I wore when unloading 30 squares once. I can see why rural folk all wear the same outer garments
25 bales is about right in a truck. Strapped down properly that volume is fine. Add a little 8ft utility trailer behind a truck and 60 bales per trip is achievable.

After owning an equestrian business here and having to unload and stack 400 bales at a time every month, I learned that a long sleeved cotton shirt and leather gloves were essential items.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 4:49 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Bloody hell, kudos to you
The back seat of the PBC tells the whole story. Six years of hay, dustbins, chickens, wet dog and bags of concrete has not done wonders for it.

Still, the car will go across fields...
Attached Thumbnails Help me pick a car please.....-picture-052.jpg  
Old Jun 4th 2013, 5:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by R I C H
25 bales is about right in a truck. Strapped down properly that volume is fine. Add a little 8ft utility trailer behind a truck and 60 bales per trip is achievable.

After owning an equestrian business here and having to unload and stack 400 bales at a time every month, I learned that a long sleeved cotton shirt and leather gloves were essential items.
Kudos to you too

I had no idea how much hard work loading and unloading squares is. One of our neighbours bales his own field (and has offered to do our field this year). I loaded and unloaded 30 bales twice and I was completely and utterly f*&ked at the end of that (no vehicle used to unload them, just throw and carry).

It was hard enough stacking them 5 high in a low floored horse trailer. I cannot imagine how much of a pain it would be to load them into the bed of a truck.

We have a hay loft in our Quonset but I have no idea where to find a bale elevator to get them up there. There is no way I am going to spend a day throwing them 8 feet above the ground. I have looked for bale elevators everywhere (I would be happy to buy a new one), but haven't found one anywhere so far. Any ideas?
Old Jun 4th 2013, 5:19 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
, I learned that a long sleeved cotton shirt and leather gloves were essential items.
Isn't the more essential item "staff to do that for you?"
Old Jun 4th 2013, 5:22 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Kudos to you too

I had no idea how much hard work loading and unloading squares is. One of our neighbours bales his own field (and has offered to do our field this year). I loaded and unloaded 30 bales twice and I was completely and utterly f*&ked at the end of that (no vehicle used to unload them, just throw and carry).

It was hard enough stacking them 5 high in a low floored horse trailer. I cannot imagine how much of a pain it would be to load them into the bed of a truck.

We have a hay loft in our Quonset but I have no idea where to find a bale elevator to get them up there. There is no way I am going to spend a day throwing them 8 feet above the ground. I have looked for bale elevators everywhere (I would be happy to buy a new one), but haven't found one anywhere so far. Any ideas?
I see elevators offered at farm sales but that's not a very efficient way to find a specific item. Lofts are iffy for insurance but I expect you know that.

At the old place we kept hay in an old 53' truck trailer, piled five or so high. Typically they'd be delivered on a hay cart direct from the field, 200 the first day, 100 the next. The bugger of it was that those were invariably the two most humid days of the year and there was always the threat of rain falling and ruining the lot so there was no stopping. One year I stacked on the hay cart behind the baler then stacked into the trailer. I believe roofing is the only job comparably hard to haying. I don't think I've ever been so grateful to anyone as the neighbours there who appeared in big gloves saying they needed a workout.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kudos to all the bale shifters - I grew up on a farm and recall the effort all too well - especially the requirement for the gloves and long sleeves lol
Old Jun 4th 2013, 5:26 pm
Pea Brain

Kudos to you too

http://www.balogauction.com/calendar-farm.php?Id=8

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-s...AdIdZ484592983

More choice if you're willing to ship from Ontario: http://ontario.kijiji.ca/f-hay-eleva...hayQ20elevator

Gravity is your friend when loading or unloading hay.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.