Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

help me -escape from the nanny state!

help me -escape from the nanny state!

Old Aug 7th 2008, 11:34 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help me -escape from the nanny state!

Originally Posted by bristol1
would bristol 2nd suffice?? did not mean to jump the q

Actually there's quite a few from Bristol over here.
Old Aug 17th 2008, 5:19 pm
P&W
Pippa

P&W is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello from another bristol couple too- lived there for the majority of our lives !

We left good old bristol in May. Due back for a visit next march.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 5:26 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

If you think the UK is the Nanny State, wait til you get here!

We have cops handing out speeding tickets for cyclists and also fining them for not having bells

There are rules for everything ..... or is that just Calgary?
Old Aug 19th 2008, 5:09 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Aren't there funny laws in lots of places? Licences for cats, even leashes maybe?
Old Aug 24th 2008, 4:11 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Aren't there funny laws in lots of places? Licences for cats, even leashes maybe?
Cats must be licenced and chipped now ... came in enforcable this year. There are also bylaws that say you must not let your cat roam onto a neighbours property. In practice most city cats are house cats. If you let them roam they run the risk of being eaten as well as being run over or poisoned/shot.....
Old Aug 25th 2008, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

tracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bristol1
Hello to you all

I am looking to escape the nanny state that is the Uk-'Freedom' is just a song by 'Wham'.

my partner and I are looking at the option of taking the leap to Nova Scotia for new start. We are going on a reccie visit at the beginning of October for a couple of weeks with an RV. We would welcome BE views from anyone currently living over there, re the positives and negatives.

we look forward to receiving your comments

bristol 1
Hi Bristol1,

Welcome to BE

Just returned from our fact finding trip to NS. Loved Halifax and surrounding areas, Cape Breton was amazing. If you can fit it in you must do the Cabot Trail, fantastic views. People so friendly and helpful. And we didn't see any speed cameras anywhere!

We too are hoping to get there asap. Good luck and I'm sure you will get lots of advice on here. Everyone is very friendly and full of information.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 11:03 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Hello there. Glad that you enjoyed Halifax. Here is a shot of The Citidel from a perspective that you might not have seen before. Best of luck in your journey.
Attached Thumbnails help me -escape from the nanny state!-dscf0042.jpg  
Old Aug 26th 2008, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

tracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
Hello there. Glad that you enjoyed Halifax. Here is a shot of The Citidel from a perspective that you might not have seen before. Best of luck in your journey.
Thanks Simon, much appreciated. Wow, that's a pretty impressive view. We drove around the Citadel on the Harbour Hopper, which was fun, but didn't really give you any idea of the size of the thing. I can see the hotel we stayed in too!
Old Aug 27th 2008, 3:41 am
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tracys
Thanks Simon, much appreciated. Wow, that's a pretty impressive view. We drove around the Citadel on the Harbour Hopper, which was fun, but didn't really give you any idea of the size of the thing. I can see the hotel we stayed in too!
Since you did the Harbour Hopper here's another view for you. Enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails help me -escape from the nanny state!-halifax-harbour.jpg  
Old Aug 27th 2008, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Since you did the Harbour Hopper here's another view for you. Enjoy.
Thanks Simon,

amazing view, were you on a tour when you took this? Didn't see any seaplanes in Halifax. When we were in Victoria VI. last year we saw loads taking off and landing outside our hotel window.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 3:51 pm
Bon Vivant

Originally Posted by tracys
Thanks Simon,

amazing view, were you on a tour when you took this? Didn't see any seaplanes in Halifax. When we were in Victoria VI. last year we saw loads taking off and landing outside our hotel window.
Hello there. No, not a tour. I was the pilot, flying a Cessna 172 out of Debert. There aren't too many float planes around here and no water taxis that I know of. If anyone is interested you can get reasonably priced sightseeing tours through Truro Flying Club. You have to book ahead and it's always weather permitting.
Attached Thumbnails help me -escape from the nanny state!-dscf0040.jpg  
Old Aug 29th 2008, 10:31 pm
don't fail to research

No1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of light

I love the east of Canada but it is very limited in relation jobs and travel. this is not helped with the collapse of Zoom - try researching how family would visit - forget them coming Oct - May as there are no direct flight's from the Uk, even the summer will now be a problem - as far as I know this only leaves Iceland Air - you would have to go via Toronto or similar.

You do not really consider these things when planning your own move.

Nova Scotia has a lot more than New Brunswick where we ended up - big mistake, but we have learnt a very good lesson, do our own research do not rely on the provinces recruiters they exagerate, check the facts and research even more. It has been an expensive mistake and possibly Nova Scotia would have been better - just make sure you look at more than one area.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 2:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Paradisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really nice

Originally Posted by No1_mom
I love the east of Canada but it is very limited in relation jobs and travel. this is not helped with the collapse of Zoom - try researching how family would visit - forget them coming Oct - May as there are no direct flight's from the Uk, even the summer will now be a problem - as far as I know this only leaves Iceland Air - you would have to go via Toronto or similar.

You do not really consider these things when planning your own move.

Nova Scotia has a lot more than New Brunswick where we ended up - big mistake, but we have learnt a very good lesson, do our own research do not rely on the provinces recruiters they exagerate, check the facts and research even more. It has been an expensive mistake and possibly Nova Scotia would have been better - just make sure you look at more than one area.

We came here initially looking to buy a second home and that is what we researched properties and locations and that was it. Having spent our first summer here we fell in love with it and never wanted to leave. We had not come across sites like this or did any research about schools or anything else. Luck would have it great location, fantastic schools, the nicest people around and a great place to bring up kids. Some times you can have too much info and then you can struggle to make a decision rather than just getting on and doing it. Life is too short to hesitate.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 2:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Paradisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really nice

Hello there. No, not a tour. I was the pilot, flying a Cessna 172 out of Debert. There aren't too many float planes around here and no water taxis that I know of. If anyone is interested you can get reasonably priced sightseeing tours through Truro Flying Club. You have to book ahead and it's always weather permitting.
Great photos!
Sounds great to me will take a look at that and spread the word. Debert is just down the road. Thank you!

Last edited by Paradisefound; Aug 30th 2008 at 2:49 am.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 2:51 am
Forum Regular

elaine42 is just really niceelaine42 is just really niceelaine42 is just really niceelaine42 is just really niceelaine42 is just really niceelaine42 is just really niceelaine42 is just really niceelaine42 is just really niceelaine42 is just really niceelaine42 is just really niceelaine42 is just really nice

Hi Bristol1
We're going to be there on a reccie trip at the same time! We get there on Sept.25th and are there till Oct 17th. Hoping to do and see plenty in that time. We're looking particularly at the Annapolis valley or the Colchester areas.
Maybe see you in passing!
Btw - where in Bristol are you from? We used to live in Bedminster and then in Fishponds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.