Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

HELP me choose a city where I can find work

Wikiposts

HELP me choose a city where I can find work

Old Apr 25th 2013, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

louisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nicelouisemc is just really nice
Default Help!! I need your advice

I hate my job in Switzerland (abusive boss and bad atmosphere) and Swiss culture is so boring. My apartment is super expensive (property prices in Switzerland are outrageous) and I have a 100 year mortgage on a small two bedroom flat and spend half of my income on just paying the interest on the mortgage.

As there is a crisis in Europe and it is not easy to find jobs. I have a PR visa for Canada. I have a degree in business studies and French and I also speak some German. I have a postgraduate certificate in management. If I sell my apartment in Switzerland I would have 450,000 Canadian dollars to come to Canada. I have already put it up on the market

Do you think I should go to Canada? Where would be a good city for me to live in Canada where I would find it easy to find work and have a good social life?

Also, I am willing to work in a simple job to start with such as a receptionist or a bank teller. Are these type of jobs easy to come by?

I am 39 years old and plan to move in January 2014. I would like to go to either Halifax, Victoria, Nanaimo or Moncton.

Which city has a low cost of living and where I would find work? Which would have good nightlife?

Thanks!

Last edited by louisemc; Apr 25th 2013 at 9:45 pm.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 9:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP me choose a city where I can find work

Hi, and welcome to BE.

As it seems all of your threads are on the same subject, I've merged them in to one - please don't start duplicate threads, thx.

It might be helpful if you could give a bit more info so that people can help you narrow down your choices - what do you do, what sort of budget will you have for housing, do you have a family etc?

Not sure that any of the cities you've mentioned would be known for 'good nightlife', but it depends on what you mean by that I guess.

Good luck deciding.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 12:23 am
Forum Regular

TS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to all
Default Re: Help!! I need your advice

Originally Posted by louisemc
I am 39 years old and plan to move in January 2014. I would like to go to either Halifax, Victoria, Nanaimo or Moncton.

Which city has a low cost of living and where I would find work? Which would have good nightlife?
I have been to all four cities you listed, and currently live in Moncton.

Cost of living order (highest first):
Victoria
Nanaimo
Halifax
Moncton

(house prices in Moncton are ridiculously low)

Night life (best first):
Victoria
Halifax
Nanaimo
Moncton

(there's really nothing to do in Moncton after dark)

I think you need some more criteria before you can decide. What else is important to you?

Last edited by TS00; Apr 26th 2013 at 12:33 am.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 12:34 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Moncton is way lower compared to the others for cost of housing - 450k will buy you a mansion here

However there are reasons for that - as already said nightlife is limited.....Very limited.....

Culture??? Moncton Thats what Europeans have....

Have you considered Montreal?? Affordable compared to the west, lots of culture nightlife etc and you have experience in French
Old Apr 26th 2013, 2:37 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alex2201
Moncton is way lower compared to the others for cost of housing - 450k will buy you a mansion here
Or buy three really nice places and rent out two and retire.

However there are reasons for that - as already said nightlife is limited.....Very limited.....
Trying to think what I was doing at 39 in Bristol. Mainly pubbing and bands. Much the same here.

Culture??? Moncton Thats what Europeans have....
What about Highland Games weekend?

Have you considered Montreal?? Affordable compared to the west, lots of culture nightlife etc and you have experience in French
Definitely affordable. Even a few places in Westmount for under $300k.

Spent time in Montreal myself. Lovely city.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 2:45 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louisemc
I hate my job in Switzerland (abusive boss and bad atmosphere) and Swiss culture is so boring. My apartment is super expensive (property prices in Switzerland are outrageous) and I have a 100 year mortgage on a small two bedroom flat and spend half of my income on just paying the interest on the mortgage.

As there is a crisis in Europe and it is not easy to find jobs. I have a PR visa for Canada. I have a degree in business studies and French and I also speak some German. I have a postgraduate certificate in management. If I sell my apartment in Switzerland I would have 450,000 Canadian dollars to come to Canada. I have already put it up on the market

Do you think I should go to Canada? Where would be a good city for me to live in Canada where I would find it easy to find work and have a good social life?

Also, I am willing to work in a simple job to start with such as a receptionist or a bank teller. Are these type of jobs easy to come by?

Thanks!
Could you not find somewhere in Europe that might be a little more exciting?
Old Apr 26th 2013, 6:09 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Originally Posted by BristolUK

Trying to think what I was doing at 39 in Bristol. Mainly pubbing and bands. Much the same here.
True but the problem is that its the same few bands playing in the same few pubs week in week out....Does not stop me going though
Old Apr 26th 2013, 6:11 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Oink
Could you not find somewhere in Europe that might be a little more exciting?
I would have put a wedge on you picking up and commenting on that Oink
Old Apr 26th 2013, 6:11 am
Forum Regular

TS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to allTS00 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Alex2201
True but the problem is that its the same few bands playing in the same few pubs week in week out....Does not stop me going though
So, just how many of us are in Moncton right now?
Old Apr 26th 2013, 6:13 am
Account Closed

Im not most of the time.....
Old Apr 26th 2013, 1:13 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TS00
So, just how many of us are in Moncton right now?
3 or 4 I think, with 1 or 2 in Riverview.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BristolUK
3 or 4 I think, with 1 or 2 in Riverview.
How about that. Must arrange a meet sometime.
Old Apr 27th 2013, 12:23 am
Account Closed

Smoke me a kipper....I'll be back for Breakfast!!!