Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Help, just booked driving test BC!

Help, just booked driving test BC!

Old Oct 21st 2009, 5:27 am
Forum Regular

VCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really nice
Default Re: Help, just booked driving test BC!

Originally Posted by Eager2bBC
any advice / experiences welcome.

thanks
Make sure you know how to do 4-way stops - I got taken through that twice on my test, not good at those! If two cars arrive at the stop line at the same time then it's the person on the right that goes first.

I heard of someone failing because they turned right on a red light, but there was a cyclist waiting in the bike lane to go straight on and apparently you're not allowed to cut in front of them even though it was stationary. Might be worth checking that out.

Good luck
Old Oct 21st 2009, 6:16 am
Just Joined

SugarPlum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Selsame
The car had tinted front windows and the sharks who sold us the car neglected to point out that these are illegal in BC.
Good luck
I nearly had the same problem with the front windows tinted, luckily for me the test instructor I spoke to 3 days before my test told me the car was illegal! I took it back to the garage and luckily they took the tint off free of charge.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 6:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, and don't miss completely stopping before the sidewalk before pulling out of the test centre!!!

There are some strange intersections on the test routes so if you'd had more time I'd definitely have said a lesson or two to get familiar with them if nothing else, but as it is just try not to get ridiculously nervous like I did and take deep breaths...I'm sure you'll do fine!

Old Oct 21st 2009, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

Eager2bBC has a brilliant futureEager2bBC has a brilliant futureEager2bBC has a brilliant futureEager2bBC has a brilliant futureEager2bBC has a brilliant futureEager2bBC has a brilliant future

Good news, I passed !!!

Was pretty nervous before hand and then the examiner came to get me - it was Jennifer (she was mentioned in this thread as being a toughy) but I thought 'what the hell, a lesson would cost me the same as the test so might as well get on with it'.

Got in the car and she went round the outside checking all the signals worked etc (this was one of the most nerve racking parts as my car is a bit of a heap - a 98 taurus wagon. Does the job though, and you can fit pretty much anything in the back with the seats down, including 3 seater sofas!).

Anyway, got out on the road and was remembering all the key things - stopped at stop signs, kept wheels straight at intersections turning left, spotted the school zones and shoulder checked like I was about to steal something!

Pretty uneventful, no manoeuvres while out on the roads, went on a couple of 'highways' out at point grey (really just big empty roads that you can go 80km/h on, easiest highway driving you can get), didn't get asked to say hazzards as I drove (which she said she would get me to do at the start). Then as we went back to the test centre a crazy jake (scottish word for bum) was wandering in the middle of a four lane road - i thought, sh*t what am i meant to do here, if I fail i'm going to come back and kick this persons ass! Anyway, decided just to drive past. She noted in her book. I thought, oh b*ll*cks, but put it out of my head.

Went back to test centre and waited until the queue of people doing reverse stall parking was done, then it was my turn and did it no probs (luckily I find reverse stall parking the easiest manoeuvre to do) - and she just said, excellent job you passed! Saweet !

She did comment on the crazy jake and said i should probably have stopped but she said that was her only comment and good driving.

So happy it's done now, it would have been a long walk home and my other half really doesn't like driving much.

All in all, good day so far - i deserve a seat and a relax i think!
Old Oct 21st 2009, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

the_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud of

Congrats - excellent stuff!
Old Oct 21st 2009, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

SugarPlum is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations! Yay for getting it over and done with hey
Old Oct 21st 2009, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
This appears to be a B.C. thing that you have to look for the back of the School Zone sign for opposite direction traffic to know when the School Zone has ended for you.

In Alberta we aren't so bright so they post signs saying End of School Zone.

They still seem to have most of the school zone/end of zone signs obscured by bushes and trees though...

Same with the playground zones.

don't forget, school zones are only in effect on a school day, but playground zones are in effect every day.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 10:53 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eager2bBC
Good news, I passed !!!

All in all, good day so far - i deserve a seat and a relax i think!
Congrats.

I'm taking my Small Vessel Operator Proficiency and Marine Emergency Duties tests this weekend. Hope they don't have any questions about school zones.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 11:04 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Oink
Hope they don't have any questions about school zones.
They're difficult to spot without a fish finder (sonar).
Old Oct 21st 2009, 11:07 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Groan - cue lots of fish puns.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 11:33 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I think it was a plaice school.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 11:43 pm
Forum Regular

Eager2bBC has a brilliant futureEager2bBC has a brilliant futureEager2bBC has a brilliant futureEager2bBC has a brilliant futureEager2bBC has a brilliant futureEager2bBC has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Groan - cue lots of fish puns.
If you fail to spot them you'll get into a shoal load of bother.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 11:46 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

you lot are just be annoying for the halibut.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

I trout anyone can follow this thread anymore...

how many more fish jokes can there be!?
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 12:55 am
BE Enthusiast

emmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud of

If you've fin ished with the fish jokes, just like to offer my congratulations, well done chum.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.