Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Help, just booked driving test BC!

Help, just booked driving test BC!

Old Oct 19th 2009, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

Eager2bBC has a brilliant futureEager2bBC has a brilliant futureEager2bBC has a brilliant futureEager2bBC has a brilliant futureEager2bBC has a brilliant futureEager2bBC has a brilliant future
Default Help, just booked driving test BC!

Arrived in BC from UK around 6 weeks ago and got a car about 4 weeks ago. Went in to do my theory test today (passed ok, even with someones screaming child next to me the whole time!) and then booked up first available spot for road test.... which turned out to be in 2 days time !

Now i'm absolutely crapping it! I think i'm a decent driver but after 10 years of pciking up bad habbits in Glasgow and London i'm worried

Haven't had any lessons here but been driving quite a bit, what should i look out for other than

- School zones
- Speed
- Constant mirror and shoulder checking

any advice / experiences welcome.

thanks
Old Oct 20th 2009, 12:48 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help, just booked driving test BC!

Originally Posted by Eager2bBC
Arrived in BC from UK around 6 weeks ago and got a car about 4 weeks ago. Went in to do my theory test today (passed ok, even with someones screaming child next to me the whole time!) and then booked up first available spot for road test.... which turned out to be in 2 days time !

Now i'm absolutely crapping it! I think i'm a decent driver but after 10 years of pciking up bad habbits in Glasgow and London i'm worried

Haven't had any lessons here but been driving quite a bit, what should i look out for other than

- School zones
- Speed
- Constant mirror and shoulder checking

any advice / experiences welcome.

thanks
Pedestrians. Seriously, ring up a driving school and get them to take you around the test area as some of those school zone signs are hidden behind bushes etc. Oh, and don't roll your stops and learn your hand signals for turning.

Last edited by Alan2005; Oct 20th 2009 at 12:52 am.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 1:03 am
Forum Regular

Eager2bBC has a brilliant futureEager2bBC has a brilliant futureEager2bBC has a brilliant futureEager2bBC has a brilliant futureEager2bBC has a brilliant futureEager2bBC has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Pedestrians. Seriously, ring up a driving school and get them to take you around the test area as some of those school zone signs are hidden behind bushes etc. Oh, and don't roll your stops and learn your hand signals for turning.
Ah pedestrians, forgot about those guys! They don't actually make you use hand signals for turning do they? Or do they just test that you know them.

Going to go to the test centre tomorrow and just drive around everywhere and get to know the place. And hopefully find the school zones! That will be a real pain if i get failed for a school zone - the signs should be much bigger.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 1:07 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eager2bBC
Ah pedestrians, forgot about those guys! They don't actually make you use hand signals for turning do they? Or do they just test that you know them.

Going to go to the test centre tomorrow and just drive around everywhere and get to know the place. And hopefully find the school zones! That will be a real pain if i get failed for a school zone - the signs should be much bigger.
I was asked what the hand signals were at the start of the test I took in August. I have no idea what happens if you don't know them.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 2:33 am
Forum Regular

charlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond repute

I passed in BC (Victoria) first time in March this year.
I didn't know the hand signals and she let me off! My husband failed as he went 50 in a school zone!!
Actually the lady that took me spent the whole time asking me about Coronation Street!!! I was trying so hard to do my shoulder checks and school zones I wanted to turn to her and tell her to shut up and stop talking to me!! I didn't , but it was very weird!!!!
Old Oct 20th 2009, 2:47 am

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

I would book in for a lesson just to be on the safe side.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 2:51 am
Just Joined

SugarPlum is an unknown quantity at this point

I felt exactly the same as you when I took my driving test. I live in Maple Ridge and had to take my test in Richmond!!! God I was so nervous! To say the least I had tears before I took my test! I was so paranoid after driving for over 20 years.

Both my husband and myself had a driving lesson a few days before in Surrey which really helped. I also went to the local test center and one of the instructors gave me a few tips.

One being to definitely stop at the stop signs, make the car roll back!!! Also the school signs and making sure I picked up speed if the speed sign changed.

I learnt about school zones on a trip to Calgary before I took my test I got pulled over for doing 48! Good thing the copper was from England, he let me off

Honestly the test isnt as bad as the test you take in the UK. You will be fine.

Good luck
Old Oct 20th 2009, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SugarPlum
One being to definitely stop at the stop signs, make the car roll back!!!
Come to a COMPLETE stop at the STOP sign line (they are usually a few feet back from the actual junction). THEN slowly pull forward until you can clearly see both ways - THEN make your manoeuvre.

Visibility from the actual STOP sign is often poor or non-existent

Last edited by fuschiagirl; Oct 20th 2009 at 3:12 am.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 3:33 am
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of

Look out for school buses too if you are unlucky enough to do your test at that time of day.
I did a quick lesson before my test in Ontario (back before you could just swap licenses) and then I didn't have a car so I used the instructors and so had another half an hour or so practice on the way to the test.
The biggest drama I had was that when the examiner came out to inspect the car before the test she notice that the instructors car had no licence stickers on them so said the car was not road legal and therefore no test. He said he had two instructor cars and put them on the wrong way round and so peeled them off and swapped them but apaprently if you peel them off they don't stick on again to prevent fraud so they had fallen off. We had to drive across town to the municipal offices and buy a new sticker and then get back to the test centre in the 30 minute window she gave us before we had to rebook for another day. We made it back just in time so after that stress the test wasn't so bad. Less than half an hour and nothing complicated. Big contrast to the UK one which was way longer, way more manouvers and technicalities etc.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 3:48 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by wizzard
Look out for school buses too if you are unlucky enough to do your test at that time of day.
I did a quick lesson before my test in Ontario (back before you could just swap licenses) and then I didn't have a car so I used the instructors and so had another half an hour or so practice on the way to the test.
The biggest drama I had was that when the examiner came out to inspect the car before the test she notice that the instructors car had no licence stickers on them so said the car was not road legal and therefore no test. He said he had two instructor cars and put them on the wrong way round and so peeled them off and swapped them but apaprently if you peel them off they don't stick on again to prevent fraud so they had fallen off. We had to drive across town to the municipal offices and buy a new sticker and then get back to the test centre in the 30 minute window she gave us before we had to rebook for another day. We made it back just in time so after that stress the test wasn't so bad. Less than half an hour and nothing complicated. Big contrast to the UK one which was way longer, way more manouvers and technicalities etc.
In BC a quick way to lose points is if you cross the solid bike lane lines to make a right turn. Make sure you are in the dotted bike lane before making the move.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 3:52 am
BE Enthusiast

emmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud of

Definitely shoulder check...keep practising them, 4 way stops, school zones. I failed on school zone, did not see the sign.
Practise recognizing danger zones, ie parked cars, shops, take a ways, drive ways. Have you got the book because its all in there.
I passed the week after so it was not that bad, she just said to me to watch my positioning when turning corners and also when turning on to main roads keep in lane and dont go over the white line if its a continuous one.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 3:53 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for your replies everyone, very useful indeed. I was wondering exactly what the deal was with the stop lines being so far back from the junction at first, so I will make sure i completely stop!

will post and let you know how i get on, really hope i pass !!
Old Oct 20th 2009, 4:08 am
BE Enthusiast

ESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really nice

Do you understand the unprotected left hand turn thing?

i.e. when turning left at lights, if you are the first car in the lane then when the light turns green you pull into the intersection with your wheels still pointing forward and line yourself up so you're ready to turn.

When it's safe to turn then you turn. If the oncoming traffic doesn't give you a chance then when the light turns yellow you make your turn. The crossing traffic has to give way to you.

Those intersections really do my head!
Old Oct 20th 2009, 4:33 am
Forum Regular

the_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud ofthe_connors76 has much to be proud of

Shoulder check, shoulder check, shoulder check!!! I failed the first time cos I didn't do it enough... make sure you check everytime you change lanes, turn, etc...

Good luck!

PS - I passed the 2nd time round!
Old Oct 20th 2009, 4:53 am
Just Joined

SugarPlum is an unknown quantity at this point

Remember too to look for the end of the school zone. They dont put one up facing you! Hope this makes sense.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.