Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Help finding work in Canada

Wikiposts

Help finding work in Canada

Old Apr 15th 2013, 4:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute
Default Help finding work in Canada

I read on here that it is illegal for companies to charge to help people find work in Canada. How is this enforced? Is it illegal in Canada? I would have thought it would be impossible to enforce in UK. How can the Canadian authorities legislate for what may happen in another country, albeit, India, uk, USA and so on.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 4:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help finding work in Canada

Simple answer is if they are not a registered ICCRC then DONT touch them.
Even ICCRC members cant guarantee you a job but they help in filling out the forms, gathering documents and filing the application.
A work permit costs $150 any other costs are subject to their rules.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 4:48 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkiechef
How can the Canadian authorities legislate for what may happen in another country, albeit, India, uk, USA and so on.
They can't, it's only under provincial laws that it's illegal. So if somebody is operating in a country where that kind of service isn't illegal, then the Canadian authorities have no say in it. Quite why anybody would be daft enough to pay for it though is a whole other matter!

You can read up on the provincial rules here - http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Employment_Agencies'_Fees-Canada

HTH.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 4:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Simple answer is if they are not a registered ICCRC then DONT touch them.
Even ICCRC members cant guarantee you a job but they help in filling out the forms, gathering documents and filing the application.
A work permit costs $150 any other costs are subject to their rules.
FL this is not about getting a visa, though you obviously need one. I have PR.

This is about agencies helping people get a job in Canada, which might involve lmo and twp. Is that illegal and is enforceable in uk by the Canadian authorities? Perhaps I am over thinking this.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 4:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

FL this is not about getting a visa, though you obviously need one. I have PR.

This is about agencies helping people get a job in Canada, which might involve lmo and twp. Is that illegal and is enforceable in uk by the Canadian authorities? Perhaps I am over thinking this.
As a PR of Canada you don't need an LMO or TWP you just apply for any job.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 4:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
They can't, it's only under provincial laws that it's illegal. So if somebody is operating in a country where that kind of service isn't illegal, then the Canadian authorities have no say in it. Quite why anybody would be daft enough to pay for it though is a whole other matter!

You can read up on the provincial rules here - http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Employment_Agencies'_Fees-Canada

HTH.
Because it is a service, people are prepared to pay for services, help me find a job and I will pay you. Not unreasonable me thinks
Old Apr 15th 2013, 4:57 am
BE Enthusiast

As a PR of Canada you don't need an LMO or TWP you just apply for any job.
I know that. Is there some company that can help find me a job in Canada? Whether they are based in uk or Canada is of no consequence to me, unless it is illegal!
Old Apr 15th 2013, 5:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I know that. Is there some company that can help find me a job in Canada? Whether they are based in uk or Canada is of no consequence to me, unless it is illegal!
Well I guess it depends on what services they are offering. If their fees include LMOs and TWPs then chances are they will be operating illegally as employers apply for an LMO FREE of charge to HRSDC.
Perhaps you should be looking at recruitment firms or headhunters as you are already legally entitled to work in Canada.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 5:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Well I guess it depends on what services they are offering. If their fees include LMOs and TWPs then chances are they will be operating illegally as employers apply for an LMO FREE of charge to HRSDC.
Perhaps you should be looking at recruitment firms or headhunters as you are already legally entitled to work in Canada.
Perfect. So there are recruitment firms in Canada. Do they charge a fee to anyone other than the company that finally employs? Is it free to the potential employee?

These are reasonable questions aren't they? Or, am I being a dimwit.

Please don't answer the last bit.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 5:08 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Because it is a service, people are prepared to pay for services, help me find a job and I will pay you. Not unreasonable me thinks
So you'd pay a recruitment agency in the UK?
Old Apr 15th 2013, 5:08 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Perfect. So there are recruitment firms in Canada. Do they charge a fee to anyone other than the company that finally employs? Is it free to the potential employee?
Yes, it's free to the employee. The link I gave you says 'In Canada it's the norm for employment agencies to earn their fees from employers.'.

A recruitment agency in Canada is really no different to one in the UK - you register with them, they send you for interviews etc, and then they collect a fee from the employer.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 5:09 am
BE Enthusiast

HTH.
This answers my question thanks.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 5:11 am
BE Enthusiast

So you'd pay a recruitment agency in the UK?
I would not normally. But, as a prospective immigrant looking for more security- I might.

Last edited by Yorkiechef; Apr 15th 2013 at 5:20 am. Reason: ? Changed it.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 5:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I would not. But as a prospective immigrant looking for more security- I might.
You say you are a PR of Canada. Will you be able to meet the 730 day residency obligation? In other words when did you become a PR and how long have you been outside Canada unless working for a Canadian company or accompanying a Canadian citizen outside of canada.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 5:22 am
SUPER MODERATOR

You say you are a PR of Canada. Will you be able to meet the 730 day residency obligation? In other words when did you become a PR and how long have you been outside Canada unless working for a Canadian company or accompanying a Canadian citizen outside of canada.
Ahem, see his signature FL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.