Help - IT companies or contacts in Calgary

Wikiposts

Help - IT companies or contacts in Calgary

Old Sep 24th 2012, 4:01 pm
Just Joined

kiwiparks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help - IT companies or contacts in Calgary

Hello,

Just a quick post to ask if anyone knows of good companies or names of people to contact with regard to IT positions in Calgary. Luckily I have already got a job but my husband is looking for work in this area and being from out of town it`s hard to know who the `right` people are to speak to.

Any help would be really appreciated,
Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help - IT companies or contacts in Calgary

Originally Posted by kiwiparks
Hello,

Just a quick post to ask if anyone knows of good companies or names of people to contact with regard to IT positions in Calgary. Luckily I have already got a job but my husband is looking for work in this area and being from out of town it`s hard to know who the `right` people are to speak to.

Any help would be really appreciated,
Thanks in advance.
Hi

Can you be a bit more specific? IT is a huge field
Old Sep 25th 2012, 2:59 am
Just Joined

Hmmm, I understand what you mean, my hubby's got lots of quals and experience in training and development, management, using and developing IT systems, and he worked as an IT project manager in the UK, however he doesn't have quals in IT which I think may be a bit limiting to him wrt targetting a particular job over here, don't know what you think? After speaking to a local the other day they recommended he go for an 'intermediate' position, maybe with an IT consulting firm so that he can build up his Canadian experience. Any suggestions of companies/contacts or approaches to take in finding a job would be greatly appreciated!
Old Sep 25th 2012, 5:50 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Qualifications are important, Canada is all about stupid professional associations creating a closed shop so that immigrants have a hard time getting a job imo.

Employers are short of employees, people want immigrants, the govt is okay with immigration - the sticking point are the professional associations complaining about inferior foreign standards, which frankly are superior to Canadian standards in many fields and they know this but they're scared of the competition.

So with IT the association is CIPS. However IT being a more dynamic field than say, being a GP, employers/clients are more likely to be okay with say, your being a CCNE.

Without having any formal qualifications and all his experience being foreign, that's going to be tricky unless his experience is with someone they've heard of.

I agree getting a position with a consultancy is probably a good place to start, but I'd also recommend getting qualified.

Calgary is a bit rubbish for making IT contacts. For some reason everything seems to have gravitated to Edmonton, I think because of all the govt. contracts up there. Although there are consultancies here.

But anyway to answer your question you can try: http://www.calgaryitpro.org - I used to be a member but their meetings seemed to dry up awhile ago, not sure why.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 6:04 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
So with IT the association is CIPS.
Make of this what you will, but this is the first time I've heard of CIPS. I've been active in the computer business in various roles for quite a long time.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 6:07 am
Forum Regular

jaminsk1 will become famous soon enough

I'd suggest getting on LinkedIn and doing a few searches on there - was surprised how much it is used in IT recruitment in Toronto.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

My husband researched companies that did a similar thing to what he did in the UK in Calgary.

He then sent them his resume and followed with a phone call. It went from there.

If he wants a consulting role then look for IT consultancy firms in Calgary and find the HR person and take it from there. Phone call follow ups are vital tho.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 7:38 am
Just Joined

Thank you for all the help and suggestions, my husband has just left the British army, so I'm sure employers will have heard of it, but it isn't necessarily renowned for it's IT department! Also we've been advised that this isn't necessarily a good thing to advertise because of the stereotypical view of what an army officer would be like, what do you think?
Old Sep 25th 2012, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

mudcat is a jewel in the roughmudcat is a jewel in the roughmudcat is a jewel in the roughmudcat is a jewel in the rough

Hi there,

Is he interested in contracting? And is he interested in the oil industry (Military experience often a plus here)

I'm an IT PM and came over to Toronto from the UK - almost every recruiter here recommended I go to Calgary as I have oil and gas experience.

He should make contact with:

SI Systems - http://www.sisystems.com/index.cfm?mg=cp.hp
www.procom.ca
http://www.eagleonline.com/
www.tes.net

He should submit his resume to them then call to discuss and try to get in for a meeting.

I still get lots of alerts for roles in Calgary - you can PM me his email address and I can send them on with some additional advice if he needs it
Old Sep 25th 2012, 11:10 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mudcat
This is the only listed company I deal with. Be aware that they're a low margin, low rate, bodyshop. A low rate is, of course, better than no rate at all.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 12:29 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Make of this what you will, but this is the first time I've heard of CIPS. I've been active in the computer business in various roles for quite a long time.
Like I said, I think IT is one of the few professional occupations in Canada where people aren't as bothered about whether you are approved or a member of or have a qualification from so and so. Stuff like the Cisco and MS qualifications are widely recognized but I'm not so sure a degree from abroad would cut as much ice without some Canadian context to it.

I have seen CIPS mentioned though on some govt. related stuff. I just mentioned it because it is a pet peeve of mine really. Get tired of getting into taxis being driven by people with doctorates, I wish the govt. would crack down on it, in fact they've tried to but they still get resistance.

Also one thing about IT in Calgary - make sure the job actually is in Calgary. You can easily end up with a job that requires "limited travel" meaning you're sat in Fort Mac for weeks or whatever. Or another trick is requiring remote work, which makes it sound like you provide remote assistance until you find out it is a drilling site with some fantastically crap internet connection, e.g. a shaky satellite connection.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 1:17 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Steve_
Get tired of getting into taxis being driven by people with doctorates, I wish the govt. would crack down on it, in fact they've tried to but they still get resistance.
Oh, it gets right on my tits. So, you're a doctor of divinity or a professor of cubist constructs, it don't mean you can drive. Taxi drivers should be people who can steer, who know the major streets of the town where they operate and who can communicate in the languages popular amongst passengers. Letting someone operate a taxi just because they can deconstruct Shakespeare makes no sense at all.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 2:31 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I was in the office today and I asked about this. The computer programmers hadn't heard of it either, but the IT guy had. Nobody was a member or whatever it is you do with it.