British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Help! canadian pension= cheque for lump sum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/help-canadian-pension%3D-cheque-lump-sum-912211/)

madina Apr 27th 2018 3:47 pm

Help! canadian pension= cheque for lump sum

please help! i terminated my BC pension and received a lump sum cheque. my bank in UK ( HSBC) if refusing to cash it. I am under 55yrs and non-resident of Canada.
I need the money and dont know what to do! do not have a bank account in canada or returning to canada soon!

Aviator Apr 27th 2018 8:33 pm

Re: Help! canadian pension= cheque for lump sum

Originally Posted by madina (Post 12490387)
please help! i terminated my BC pension and received a lump sum cheque. my bank in UK ( HSBC) if refusing to cash it. I am under 55yrs and non-resident of Canada.
I need the money and dont know what to do! do not have a bank account in canada or returning to canada soon!

Contact the issuer and ask them to wire transfer.

madina Apr 28th 2018 6:35 am

they can only wire transfer within canada

Siouxie Apr 28th 2018 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by madina (Post 12490713)

That seems strange. Wire transfers are international . Are they confusing 'wire transfer' with 'interac online', by chance?

Aviator Apr 28th 2018 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by madina (Post 12490387)

How about Tim cards then?

Rete Apr 28th 2018 4:40 pm

How about opening an account in a different bank?

Novocastrian Apr 28th 2018 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by madina (Post 12490713)

Not true. Anyway, why are HSBC saying they can't cash it?

scilly Apr 28th 2018 11:19 pm

Most banks won't "cash" a large cheque, if you mean give you the money immediately.

But they mostly will accept the deposit of the cheque and allow you to access the money after a waiting period that can be as long as 10 days ............ thta allows them to actually get the money in their little hands!

Davita Apr 29th 2018 12:24 am

Originally Posted by scilly (Post 12491094)
Most banks won't "cash" a large cheque, if you mean give you the money immediately.

But they mostly will accept the deposit of the cheque and allow you to access the money after a waiting period that can be as long as 10 days ............ thta allows them to actually get the money in their little hands!

I was confused by the OP saying that HSBC wouldn't cash the cheque as I often get cheques from Financial Companies which I deposit with HSBC in UK.

Scilly has highlighted that 'cashing' into immediate cash is maybe what the OP meant so I now understand why they wouldn't do that.

All cheques go thru' some sort of clearing system...here is what UK does....https://www.bis.org/cpmi/publ/d105_uk.pdf

scrubbedexpat134 Apr 29th 2018 1:13 am

I think the OP wants to access the cash right away rather than deposit it and wait for the cheque to clear. I get a pension cheque quarterly in pounds sterling which i pay into my RBC acount there is a 25 day with holding period before i can access the cash, i would presume its the same in the uk for cheques drawn on a Canadian account in $CAN. Express presentation (quick clearance) may be an option but not many banks do that these days and there is usually quite a hefty fee.

scilly Apr 29th 2018 3:05 am

We've hit that waiting period before cash is available when paying in or sending cheques to banks in the UK, Australia and Canada ...... which is what made me re-read the OP and wonder if "cash" meant take out the money immediately!

Fortunately, it's never been a very large amount, and we've never been so desperate that we couldn't wait the 10 days or whatever the waiting period was.

You can understand the bank's attitude ............ what a wonderful way to get money that you don't have!! Pay in a cheque, take the money immediately, and then the cheque bounces ..... and you are thousands of miles away!!!

Tangram Apr 30th 2018 5:36 pm

It's many years since I worked on the foreign desk at a retail bank but we regularly 'negotiated' foreign cheques. You wouldn't be able, as people have stated, to cash the cheque like a UK cheque, it would be sent through for negotiation to the foreign holding bank and would take a couple of weeks to go through the system. HTH.

Bad Leg May 12th 2018 8:13 am

Good luck with this. My wife and I waited two years for our 2016 tax refunds but because the the cheques were in Canadian dollars my bank here in Spain wouldn't accept them. So as advised by the CRA I returned the cheques and asked them to resubmit in euros or pay directly into our accounts. That was three months ago. This week I telephoned and was told that there was no record of them being issued or received back. Nighmare.

Siouxie May 12th 2018 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by Bad Leg (Post 12498023)
Good luck with this. My wife and I waited two years for our 2016 tax refunds but because the the cheques were in Canadian dollars my bank here in Spain wouldn't accept them. So as advised by the CRA I returned the cheques and asked them to resubmit in euros or pay directly into our accounts. That was three months ago. This week I telephoned and was told that there was no record of them being issued or received back. Nighmare.

CRA can cancel the cheques, there is/was no necessity for you to return them. Best of luck, hope you get your money in the end :)

Aviator May 12th 2018 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Bad Leg (Post 12498023)

CRA get a taxpayer to sign a form confirming the loss and will re issue the cheques. As far as I know CRA do not make payments in a foreign currency. There is a form for direct deposit, but it is for Canadian banks. There will likely be wire fees if you can get them to send to a foreign bank account.