Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

HELP!!! : British Mums with Kids where do you shop?

HELP!!! : British Mums with Kids where do you shop?

Old Jun 16th 2018, 12:16 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP!!! : British Mums with Kids where do you shop?

I like GT but wouldn't compare it to Primark as the clothes aren't especially fashionable and these days aren't so cheap. I usually shop in Penningtons, a Fat Lady shop, and with their sales and deals stuff is often cheaper or similar to GT but better quality.

be careful with stuff from Dollarstores especially food and stuff used for food as it may not be good enough quality.

I sympathies with the OP as shopping here does take some getting used to. I miss John Lewis especially and when I'm back there I make a pilgrimage.
Old Jun 16th 2018, 7:27 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
I like GT but wouldn't compare it to Primark
I don't know what Primark is like these days. My comparison was a then current GT with Bristol's Primark of at least 10 years earlier. Quite a small shop.

the clothes aren't especially fashionable
But this is Canada
Old Jun 16th 2018, 10:07 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
My comparison was a then current GT with Bristol's Primark of at least 10 years earlier. Quite a small shop.
Bristol now has the 2nd largest Primark in the UK.
Old Jun 16th 2018, 10:51 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Bristol now has the 2nd largest Primark in the UK.
The old John Lewis building I believe. Don't tell Bats
Old Jun 16th 2018, 2:00 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

I may start a petition to bring Primark to the west coast of Canada.

Primark offer a diverse range of products, including newborn and children's clothing, women's wear, men's wear, home ware, accessories, footwear, beauty products and confectionery.

Starting in 2014, Primark welcomed Sephora products which are being sold starting at £1.Primark starting selling vegan snacks as of January 2018.

The company sells clothes at the low cost end of the market below average prices. Along with retailers such as Zara and H&M, Primark contributes to the contemporary fast fashion trend. According to an article about Primark in The Economist, "For many shoppers, Primark has an irresistible offer: amazing trendy clothes at amazingly low prices.

The result is a new and even faster kind of fast fashion, which forces consumers to buy heaps of items sometimes even the same ones to use when the first ones worn out, discard them after a few wears and then come back for another batch of new outfits."
Old Jun 16th 2018, 2:37 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't now Army & Navy Stores were in Canada.. I worked at an A&N one Christmas when I was 16, lol.

https://www.armyandnavy.ca/
Old Jun 16th 2018, 7:56 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I didn't now Army & Navy Stores were in Canada.. I worked at an A&N one Christmas when I was 16, lol.

The Canuck version of A&N is nothing to do with the House of Fraser A&N in the UK.
I worked at A&N in Camberley, Surrey selling carpets in the early 90's.
Old Jun 16th 2018, 8:20 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134

I remember Millets as being very reasonable for casual, work and outdoor clothes.
Old Jun 16th 2018, 10:00 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie

In 1972 I worked in the one in the background here for a couple of months before going up north with Hudson's Bay Northern Stores. I sold jeans, work pants, and overalls. In the 1930's A&N was known as The People's Store; (We Undersell Everybody was just the byline), and they advertised in the communist newsletters. I found some that had been hidden under a verandah for decades, containing notices of rallies in Market Square 2 years before the Regina Riot happened there. When the riot happened in 1935 most of the shops along 11th Avenue had their windows broken, but the Army and Navy, instead of boarding up their windows, placed barrels of water with dippers hanging on the rim all around the store so the strikers could drink, and they suffered no damage.
My department was right behind the ground floor windows in the picture.

Last edited by caretaker; Jun 16th 2018 at 10:06 pm. Reason: correction, if you must know
Old Jun 16th 2018, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

NYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Save on Foods do home delivery - I'm in Red Deer, if they do it in Red Deer they will do it in Edmonton I am sure, Sobeys might. All of them now I think do online and pick up in store.

Marks and Spencer deliver to Canada

Being flippant - thousands of people have babies every year here, they manage to clothe them without too much issue. There is H&M, Old Navy, Gap, Osh Kosh, Babies R Us, The Bay, Superstore, Walmart and my baby is 23 now, so never needed those shops when we moved here, just what I have noticed. As for nappies (diapers) I should imagine Walmart, Costco and Superstore are going to be your best choices.

Sounds to me as though you are missing the familiarity of what you knew, take a deep breath and wander around a mall.
Phew! From most of the posts here, I thought Canada hadn't changed much since the days of the Chaplin movie The Gold Rush!
Old Jun 17th 2018, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a lot of things at the Army & Navy on West Hastings in Vancouver back in the day ............. clothes, household items, camping equipment. At one time, they were the best place in Vancouver to get wet weather and safety gear .......... along with the 3Vets.

A&N in BC and Alberta is still owned by the same family that started, the granddaughter and gt granddaughter of the original Cohen.

Their annual shoe sale was a thing to behold!! It still attracts hundreds of shoppers, who line up to be first in the door, and get the best deal.
Old Jun 17th 2018, 4:21 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134

Back in the early 90's in Vancouver i remember buying casual clothes from a store that was right down town, Gastown I think. The clothes were excellent quality and dirt cheap, the brand name was Pelican Cove, don't know the name of the store maybe it was Pelican Cove also, anybody remember it
Old Jun 17th 2018, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

I remember seeing clothes labelled Pelican Cove, bit not where they were bought
Old Jun 17th 2018, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pelican Cove clothing apparently was made by a Louisiana company, and still is ..... I googled it
Old Jun 18th 2018, 12:11 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
The old John Lewis building I believe. Don't tell Bats
that's ok there's a replacement. We will know it's the endow days when The Partnership starts closing stores.

Originally Posted by Danny B
I may start a petition to bring Primark to the west coast of Canada.

Primark offer a diverse range of products, including newborn and children's clothing, women's wear, men's wear, home ware, accessories, footwear, beauty products and confectionery.

Starting in 2014, Primark welcomed Sephora products which are being sold starting at £1.Primark starting selling vegan snacks as of January 2018.

The company sells clothes at the low cost end of the market below average prices. Along with retailers such as Zara and H&M, Primark contributes to the contemporary fast fashion trend. According to an article about Primark in The Economist, "For many shoppers, Primark has an irresistible offer: amazing trendy clothes at amazingly low prices.

The result is a new and even faster kind of fast fashion, which forces consumers to buy heaps of items sometimes even the same ones to use when the first ones worn out, discard them after a few wears and then come back for another batch of new outfits."
Theres one in Boston so maybe they could be persuaded to move into the Canaduan market.