Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Help and advice needed for UK GP trying to move to BC!

Help and advice needed for UK GP trying to move to BC!

Old May 10th 2015, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

Gowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help and advice needed for UK GP trying to move to BC!

Got my letter too!!!!
CPSBC have been busy
Unfortunately I've not been able to access HMBC site all weekend to look at jobs and generally dream
Apparently one criteria is after landing we have to attend an IMG induction course in Vancouver within 6 months. Might see you there!
Old May 10th 2015, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

skilovernat is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats too! Yeah... what's up with the HMBC site??! Luckily I saved my letter - can you believe how long it was...

So... are you going to fly out to check out jobs? We've decided on the Vancouver outskirts now (Nelson was pretty unrealistic for OH to get a job).
Old May 10th 2015, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

Gowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond reputeGowest has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't save mine 😢

I'm definitely thinking either okanagan or the island. We are visiting both in July. I've had contact with a recruiter from the island who is trying to steer me towards comox. But work for my other half is the concern. Where are you thinking in metro Vancouver? From the ads we now can't see I thought coquitlam or maple ridge would be good but the commute into downtown Vancouver looks awful. Anywhere much nearer except Surrey is out of the questions because we will be provisionals.

Originally Posted by skilovernat
Congrats too! Yeah... what's up with the HMBC site??! Luckily I saved my letter - can you believe how long it was...

So... are you going to fly out to check out jobs? We've decided on the Vancouver outskirts now (Nelson was pretty unrealistic for OH to get a job).
Old May 10th 2015, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

pacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the rough

BC gets all the pollution blowing over from Japan
BC don't pay as good as Alberta nurses or doctors if you want to make a lot of money fast up north is best but fly in and out best two week on two off very good money for doctors few years then early retirement surgeons even more
Nurses can get $190,000 a year plus as much overtime as you want
Old May 10th 2015, 11:05 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pacepeter
BC don't pay as good as Alberta nurses or doctors if you want to make a lot of money fast up north is best but fly in and out best two week on two off very good money for doctors few years then early retirement surgeons even more
What??? On what evidence are you basing your statement? Yep , Alberta is definitely on the way up ...... not! It is abou getting the balance between quality of life and paying the bills. why the hell would Gowest want to work up North- they are a family physician with a young family- they can more or less work whoever they like. No offence Alberta, I love the Rockies, Canmore etc but would rather live in BC and if needs be earn a smidge less. That is why gazillions of Albertans spend their free time here- it is a great place to live.
Old May 11th 2015, 2:26 am
Just Joined

Cedar3 is a jewel in the roughCedar3 is a jewel in the roughCedar3 is a jewel in the roughCedar3 is a jewel in the rough

Provincial Nominee Programme: do you know if this is something that everyone has to do - and is it before applying for any jobs via HealthMatch?[/QUOTE]

I expect you will be encouraged to apply for permanent residence (PR) through the nominee program (so that you can stay) but my understanding is that the Province can't nominate you before you secure a permanent full-time position.

There are other ways to get PR including before you leave the UK and if you achieve one of those then I believe you can be considered alongside Canadians for jobs as opposed to only being able to apply for jobs where recruitment of a Canadian has not been possible.

In my understanding of these things (and I'm not fully versed on Express Entry from my days of trawling the CIC website prior to its introduction) you would want to balance the time it takes to find a position in your desired part of BC that can take an immigrant (HealthmatchBC being the obvious people to be able to hazard a guess at that) versus the time it takes to gain PR through other routes and probably have more job options.
Old May 11th 2015, 2:34 am
Just Joined

Cedar3 is a jewel in the roughCedar3 is a jewel in the roughCedar3 is a jewel in the roughCedar3 is a jewel in the rough

Oh and in answer to your original post
3) if you're eligible and willing to apply on the border (check CIC website) and have no reason to believe you'd be refused then it only takes as long as you take to get your paperwork together and close down your affairs in England. We got TWPs on the border 3 months after accepting a job to come to last summer- at that time there was very little paperwork involved, no application form unlike if we'd sent away for it before leaving - and there's the adrenalin rush of having sold/given away/shipped all we had in England, quit jobs, taken kids out of school etc etc and turning up on the border with our cat trusting that this would be more than a holiday :-)
Old May 11th 2015, 8:42 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Given that the top salary quoted by Job Bank for RN's is $50/hr (you've mentioned in another thread a similar hourly rate), how do you work that out to be $190,000 before overtime?! That would mean them working 80 hours a week.
Old May 18th 2015, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

DrDom is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi skilovernat,

How are you getting on? Have you got any further? We are in Chilliwack, which is 60miles east of Vancouver. It is a valley with mountains all around. It really is very beautiful. Although there isn't too much to do from the front door, within half an hour there are so many places to walk, or run, or indeed kayak. Not that I have tried kayak.

Work is SO much better than in the UK, and it doesn't sound as though things in the UK are going to get any better in the foreseeable future. There is always plenty of admin though - just lots of forms to fill in for everything. I had to go to the IMG meeting in Vancouver, and some of it was ok, but a lot of was pointless. The evenings in Vancouver were great though.

I hope you are getting on well with the paperwork.

Very best,

Dominic
Old May 21st 2015, 8:11 am
Just Joined

If you think the pollution in Vancouver is bad - your lungs would disintergrate in London, England!!!
Old May 21st 2015, 8:16 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Gowest
I didn't save mine 😢

I'm definitely thinking either okanagan or the island. We are visiting both in July. I've had contact with a recruiter from the island who is trying to steer me towards comox. But work for my other half is the concern. Where are you thinking in metro Vancouver? From the ads we now can't see I thought coquitlam or maple ridge would be good but the commute into downtown Vancouver looks awful. Anywhere much nearer except Surrey is out of the questions because we will be provisionals.
So.... I've been looking at coquitlam/pitt meadows/maple ridge at the moment. We'd love to live "in the countryside" (i.e. have space for a garden and dog, and no feel trapped by neighbours) - but OH needs to be commutable to Vancouver.... I hear there is terrible traffic heading into Vancouver though from the east... There is (or will be? I think they're building it still) a train to the city - which would obviously be better than driving...

Agent yesterday told me he'd expect 6 months to allow for the paperwork once I accept a job. Boo!! Planning to fly out end July/Aug to scout the areas/jobs....
Old May 21st 2015, 8:25 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Cedar3
Oh and in answer to your original post
3) if you're eligible and willing to apply on the border (check CIC website) and have no reason to believe you'd be refused then it only takes as long as you take to get your paperwork together and close down your affairs in England. We got TWPs on the border 3 months after accepting a job to come to last summer- at that time there was very little paperwork involved, no application form unlike if we'd sent away for it before leaving - and there's the adrenalin rush of having sold/given away/shipped all we had in England, quit jobs, taken kids out of school etc etc and turning up on the border with our cat trusting that this would be more than a holiday :-)

Loving your adventurous spirit!! Hope the kids like BC (I would!) Are they saying "Aye" yet?