Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Hello!! Good morning ! GP moving to BC Canada

Hello!! Good morning ! GP moving to BC Canada

Old Feb 8th 2015, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

skybluepink is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Hello!! Good morning ! GP moving to BC Canada

My husband and I are GP's and are thinking of moving from Wales to Canada next year. This site seems to be ideal for connecting with people who have been in the same situation .
I'd love to speak to anyone who has moved to the Okanagan / Vancouver area and who is practising Family Medicine. I'm very keen to find out if it's anything like working in the UK or if it's tougher!
I'd also love to speak to anyone with experience of how children have coped with the move into the Canadian schooling system.
Looking forward to chatting !!

Last edited by skybluepink; Feb 8th 2015 at 10:14 am. Reason: Added more questions
Old Feb 8th 2015, 10:37 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello!! Good morning ! GP moving to BC Canada

Good evening and welcome to the forum.

I've shifted your post from the Welcome Inn to the Canada section of the forum, as you'll be more likely to get a good response to your questions in here.

All the best with your plans
Old Feb 8th 2015, 10:39 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skybluepink
My husband and I are GP's and are thinking of moving from Wales to Canada next year. This site seems to be ideal for connecting with people who have been in the same situation .
I'd love to speak to anyone who has moved to the Okanagan / Vancouver area and who is practising Family Medicine. I'm very keen to find out if it's anything like working in the UK or if it's tougher!
I'd also love to speak to anyone with experience of how children have coped with the move into the Canadian schooling system.
Looking forward to chatting !!
Can't be much help with BC but we moved from Wales to Ontario with my GP husband and school age kids... Snoopdawg and Stinkypup are practising FP's in the Okanagan though...
Old Feb 8th 2015, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

Hi there thanks for replying ..it would be great to know how it went for you as a family.. Was it a good move for you on the whole & how long have you been there? Thanks
Old Feb 8th 2015, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for moving my post from welcome inn to the Canada site, baked bean!
Old Feb 8th 2015, 2:54 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there thanks for replying ..it would be great to know how it went for you as a family.. Was it a good move for you on the whole & how long have you been there? Thanks
We've been here a year and overall it's been a good experience. I think my husband has a few frustrations with the system but generally enjoys the autonomy and ability to work the hrs he wants to... Having said that the government makes changes just as in the UK and there has been a few changes including a slight paycut. The lifestyle here is good though if you enjoy winter and summer outdoor activities and as two GP's potential for income should be great.
Old Feb 8th 2015, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks tirytory.. How did the kids cope? I have 2 boys who like outdoor activities
Old Feb 8th 2015, 5:57 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Thanks tirytory.. How did the kids cope? I have 2 boys who like outdoor activities
Well my two are skiing right now... They were 8 and 3 when we moved. I must admit that my son has struggled a little to fit in - he had very strong friendships he left behind- but he's getting there and really appreciates the weather and what you can do with it. The little one is great and she starts French immersion in September.
Old Feb 8th 2015, 6:04 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Have you looked into whether you meet the requirements for registration in BC? They differ from province to province and you need to ensure that you have done the necessary elements (paeds/obs) of your UK GP training..
Old Feb 8th 2015, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

Hi, yes I'm in touch with healthmatch BC and it seems I have the necessary requirements . Still a long way to go though! I haven't yet sent my documents to physicians apply..
We are planning a trip in the summer to check out areas/ jobs etc. such a big move, it's daunting !!
Old Feb 8th 2015, 7:27 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Hi, yes I'm in touch with healthmatch BC and it seems I have the necessary requirements . Still a long way to go though! I haven't yet sent my documents to physicians apply..
We are planning a trip in the summer to check out areas/ jobs etc. such a big move, it's daunting !!
It took us a while to get here with the various parts of registration... Two yrs so best to get started.. It is daunting! What's leading the move?
Old Feb 8th 2015, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

I'll 'PM' you !
Old Feb 9th 2015, 2:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Tootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond repute

Can you move to Coquitlam BC? We are in desperate need of Family Doctors!!!!
Old Feb 9th 2015, 5:21 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tootlepootle
Can you move to Coquitlam BC? We are in desperate need of Family Doctors!!!!
Wow, the Okanagan Valley has stretched somewhat !
Old Feb 9th 2015, 5:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Tootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond repute

Can we not be listed as south Okanagan then?!!! We are desperate!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.