Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Hello all! UK to Canada (hopefully!)

Wikiposts

Hello all! UK to Canada (hopefully!)

Old Jan 21st 2011, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

Dante_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hello all! UK to Canada (hopefully!)

Hi to all,

My name's Dante, I'm a 24yo working as a support worker for drug & alcohol rehabilitation and homeless projects and I'm also a university student studying Photography.

I'm looking to find information from anybody and everybody about possible avenues that I could look at to get as long term a stay in Canada as possible, but ideally I would like to relocate there permanently.

I have been to Ottawa before and also plan to go back out there in February for a fortnight to visit my partner who is actually from Ontario.

I've not had very much luck finding routes to take, so far;

Study visa is almost a no-no as I plan to suspend my degree studies until I can work enough to save for my final year.

Work visa is a grey area as I have been working in my current job through experience and have no formal education in the matter which is something employers often focus more on. Also I'm very unsure of what the Canadian equivelant to my job is, as my search for 'support work' has not turned many results unfortunately.

I'm also attempting to find work elsewhere as well as the main areas, but it's the sort of work that doesn't fall into the 20-something categories that are accepted by the Visa board, such as barista work at coffee houses etc.

I won't waffle on any longer as I'm sure I've already written way more than I should for an intro, but please let me know if you have any advice etc and I'll also have a good look around the whole forum and see if I can dig up some good information.

Thanks all!
Old Jan 26th 2011, 7:18 am
Just Joined

skyelodestone is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hello all! UK to Canada (hopefully!)

Originally Posted by Dante_P
Hi to all,

My name's Dante, I'm a 24yo working as a support worker for drug & alcohol rehabilitation and homeless projects and I'm also a university student studying Photography.

I'm looking to find information from anybody and everybody about possible avenues that I could look at to get as long term a stay in Canada as possible, but ideally I would like to relocate there permanently.

I have been to Ottawa before and also plan to go back out there in February for a fortnight to visit my partner who is actually from Ontario.

I've not had very much luck finding routes to take, so far;

Study visa is almost a no-no as I plan to suspend my degree studies until I can work enough to save for my final year.

Work visa is a grey area as I have been working in my current job through experience and have no formal education in the matter which is something employers often focus more on. Also I'm very unsure of what the Canadian equivelant to my job is, as my search for 'support work' has not turned many results unfortunately.

I'm also attempting to find work elsewhere as well as the main areas, but it's the sort of work that doesn't fall into the 20-something categories that are accepted by the Visa board, such as barista work at coffee houses etc.

I won't waffle on any longer as I'm sure I've already written way more than I should for an intro, but please let me know if you have any advice etc and I'll also have a good look around the whole forum and see if I can dig up some good information.

Thanks all!
Hi there!

I'm not too sure what visa you should go for - I'm going to Canada on a student visa tomorrow - but I have a friend who is going on a workers visa and to qualify I think she had to have held the same job for 2 years.

On the job front though I've been looking through http://www.charityvillage.com/cv/main.asp and I think it might be useful for you. They have jobs like social workers and support workers; it has charity volunteer opportunities aswell as paid jobs.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

Lynsi has a spectacular aura aboutLynsi has a spectacular aura aboutLynsi has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Hello all! UK to Canada (hopefully!)

Have you looked at Bunac?