Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Hello all ! im new to all this!

Hello all ! im new to all this!

Old Aug 14th 2002, 6:26 am
Andrew Miller

Default Re: Hello all ! im new to all this!

http://www.thewe-
athernetwork.com/cities/can/vancouver_BC.htm

"Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Andrew, of course I have never lived in Vancouver and my only touch with the west
    > coast was a 3-day trip, by car, from LA to Tijuana, Mexico, stoppings in Long Beach
    > and San Diego. That was last Christmas. But I do not have to live in Vancouver, or
    > Victoria, in order to understand your weather conditions. I trust very much our
    > national weather network and also I am able to watch CBC Vancouver (I have
    > satellite at home). Gloria Makarenko and a pretty blonde girl were doing today the
    > Canada Now news at 6:00PM PT. So, from what these two TV stations are telling us
    > every day, Vancouver/Victoria area is the raining capital of Canada. Obviously is
    > not raining every day,
    > 365/365, but it's raining a lot, and you cannot deny it! Why? Pacific Ocean is the
    > main reason. For instance, the forecast for Vancouver for the next 3 days is
    > 24-24-20, and some rain. Well, down here in Toronto we have an excess of
    > temperatures over 32C, but with the humidex it feels like 40-42C!!! Anyhow
    > Andrew, rainy or sunny, hot or cool, Vancouver and Toronto, along with the rest
    > of Canadian cities, are both/all beautiful. But hey, as in sports, you are with
    > the Canucks, I am with the Leafs and the Raptors, everybody wants to make its
    > own city the best one in the world! We are just human... And by the way,
    > Victoria is not only BC's capital, it's also the garden capital of Canada. Take
    > care, Chris
    > "Andrew Miller" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:Hu%[email protected]
    > lanet.net
    > > Chris, no offence but you obviously haven't lived in Vancouver or anywhere
    > on
    > > the West Coast as your description of it is based on some false
    > perception.
    > >
    > > "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > Winters in Toronto are similar with the ones in Western/Central Europe
    > (45
    > > > parallel). The worst you can get is about -10C, of course the wind-chill makes
    > > > the difference. But if you have a car, maybe parked underground
    > (my
    > > > case) you don't even care about any winter in your life. Comparing with
    > the
    > > > rest of Canada, Toronto has very hot and very humid summers (like most
    > of
    > > > the north-east) and fairly warm winters. Obviously West coast has the warmest
    > > > winters, but overthere there is no summer (like in Scandinavia
    > and
    > > > UK), rain, rain and again rain. Not good for your poor bones... Chicago
    > (the
    > > > 2nd largest US city) is much more colder in the winter than Toronto. I have
    > > > been in Toronto for 10 years and, as an European, weather, and
    > kind
    > > > of life you can find down here, it suits me 'a la carte'. Best of luck in your
    > > > endeavor. Chris
    > > >
    > > > "Bushbaby" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > >
    > > > > Originally posted by stuart1997:
    > > > > > Like many others on this forum i would like to leave the uk and
    > start
    > > > > > a new life in Canada. Exactly where i dont know its such a vast country,but
    > > > > > after a bit of reading BC sounds nice. Im in the process of applying for a
    > > > > > job as my uk firm has offices in Canada ,dissapointingly it seems i have to
    > > > > > approach the Canadian offices myself as my Hr dept dosnt deal with
    > > > > > employees wanting to emigrate From what ive read about the points system
    > > > > > it seems that to be accepted you must have employment lined up for you in
    > > > > > Canada? so its job fist and embassy next. Good luck everyone.
    > > > >
    > > > > Hi there,
    > > > >
    > > > > I just had to post a reply to you as I think that you are being
    > somewhat
    > > > > misled by some of the responses you have received to date.
    > > > >
    > > > > Toronto may well be very hot in Summer but to say that it is warm in
    > > > > Winter...!!! Whilst Toronto may be warmer than say Calgary in Winter, Toronto
    > > > > is absolutely freezing. I'm sure that very few people could argue with that.
    > > > >
    > > > > On the other hand, Vancouver, BC has a wonderful temperate climate
    > with
    > > > > lovely Summers which can get very warm, although not humid like
    > Toronto
    > > > > and the Winters hardly ever get below freezing and there is also very little
    > > > > snow, particularly when compared to Toronto.
    > > > >
    > > > > Vancouver, BC is also one of the most beautiful places on earth and to
    > > > > compare it to the concrete jungle of Toronto is absolute sacrilege!
    > > > >
    > > > > Sorry, but in my opinion, there is just no comparison to be made!
    > > > >
    > > > > Regards
    > > > >
    > > > > PS Toronto is a fast paced Metropolis whereas life in Vancouver is
    > much
    > > > > more laid back West cost living. I was going to make the comparison and
    > > > > say that Toronto is to London as Vancouver is to... but there
    > is
    > > > > nowhere that is anywhere as good as Vancouver in the UK or could possibly
    > > > > be compared to it! :PARTY:
    > > > >
    > > > > --
    > > > > Posted via http://britishexpats.com
    > > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > >
    > >

Old Aug 14th 2002, 11:03 am
Bodza Bodza

"Chris" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Sorry my friend, but what calendar are you following? Seven months of winter in
    > Toronto?

Sure. It snows round about mid october and it doesn't start getting above 10C till
may. That's seven months my friend.

>Are you ok? Are you on drugs? Winter starts in December and ends up in March, end
    >of March.

As I said before "If you come from SIBERIA".

>November we have maybe 10C to 15C. Yes, it's cold in the winter, we are in the
    >Northern Hemisphere, aren't we?

Your understanding of meteorology is breathtakingly simplistic if you think every
country in the Northern Hemisphere has the same climate.

>December to March, that's 4 months

Yes it is. Winter doesn't start in December and end in March though. Winter starts
mid october and the last week of April there is "spring" where SUDDENLY it goes from
5C to 15C in one week.

>we have temp. between -10, maybe -15C, up to 5C.

And what countries in Western Europe, APART from Scandinavia have these COLD
temperatures all Winter? Check your facts my friend, but I will do you the favour of
telling you: NONE.

>Of course when it's windy it feels like -30C, but that's anywhere in
the
    > Northern Hemisphere around 45 parallel.

Erm, No. It's not. Western Europe has a *milder* winter than Toronto. This is exactly
my point. Scandinavia has about the same type of winter as Toronto, so does ex-soviet
Eastern Europe.

>But even if it was -30C, or -50C, this is the outside temperature, we all have 25C
    >in our apartments, and most of the Canadians have cars.

Erm, but not ALL. And if you're a new immigrant, can you afford to just burn up a
substantial chunk of your savings on a car. I'd say no.

[yadda yadda]

Anyways, this is turning into a flame. Carry on if you like. I'll respond at
my leisure.

Have a good day.

Old Aug 14th 2002, 1:05 pm
Helper

Hello there

First of all I am a Canadian born Canadian, lived here all of my life, not in Toronto
but near to Toronto, and I can say in all of my 49 years of living I have yet to ever
have seven months of winter. No wonder when people from other countries see a
Canadian they ask them if they ski in July, where do such stupid ideas about weather
up here get started? First of all, Toronto seldom gets much snow at all before
Christmas, and for the past few years winters have been nothing like they had been in
previous decades. It is not at all unusual to see spring flowers coming to life in
March. Global warming has made for some very mild winters up here. If you come to
Canada don't expect the tropics, but if you dress accordingly, Toronto is a great
place to be, and I personally love the winter.

Old Aug 14th 2002, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

sclewlow is an unknown quantity at this point

Well......You can certainly tell the is the "British" expats site - only the good old English could spend so much damn time arguing about the weather!

My original point (that most people seem to have missed or forgotten) is that I fail to the reasoning about emigrating to a country you have never even seen. Perceptions and hear-say can be very wrong. I think this point is very well illustrated by all the arguments flying back and forth about various degrees (no pun intended) of the weather.

Really the only people who can comment on local weather are, well, the locals. I was in Toronto at Christmas a couple of years ago and it was pretty mild (but I admit I was only there for a couple of weeks). Oh and to the person who said that they get snow in October - your kidding right!?!?! Where do you live? The Yukon?

Lets face it, you have to live in a place for at least a couple of years before you can really get to know it - weather and all.
Old Aug 14th 2002, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

PatC is an unknown quantity at this point

^5 Simon

Cheers,
PatC
Old Aug 15th 2002, 1:13 am
Chris

Sorry my friend, but I gotta be straight with you. You are still insisting that
winter in Toronto has SEVEN months for two reasons:
1) you do not want new immigrants to come to Toronto anymore. To scare them off.
Personally, I would like to see more immigrants trying also other Canadian cities,
Toronto cannot take almost all of them every year. But I will NEVER lie to them in
order to make them avoid this city. I always enjoy telling the naked truth, no
matter how hard is some time to swallow it.
2) you might have a medical problem, something that you don't even know about. My
mother, her whole life, has been allergic to cold weather, everything bellow +15C
for her is Siberia, to use your own words. And she is perfectly healthy, but
something in her brain is not working properly. It's possible for you to have the
same kind of disorder (sorry, I do not know the ideal word), and in this case only
a doctor can address the situation. But I strongly recommend you to try some
multivitamins, Centrum, Spectrum or Rexhall, you can find them easily at any
Shoppers Drug Murt or Pharma Plus stores, and I think even Wal-Mart and some No
Frills stores carry them. I have been in Toronto for 10 years, but you are the
first one I have come across that is telling me that winter down here starts in
October and ends-up in April!!! So, in you view, Eastern Europe is cold because it
was under Soviet occupation? Man, when I read that I just couldn't stop laughing.
That is one of the greatest jokes I have ever heard lately!!! So in your view, the
cold war (which was about Eastern Europe) was cold because of the weather? Oh
mamma! My friend, Sofia, which is Bulgaria's capital, is much warmer in the winter
than Vienna, Munich, Berlin. Take a map, and figure all out for yourself.
Bucharest, Budapest, Prague, Belgrade, they all have a similar climate, and almost
identical with most of the interior Western Europe, except those countries near
the Mediterranean and Adriatic Sea. And for Northern Germany, and Holland, they
are near the Baltic Sea which brings a milder air during the winters. Car is a
must in a large N. American city. And you do not have to go from the beginning to
a brand-new vehicle. Every immigrant starts with a used one, and you can buy one
for under $2,000. Obviously, the older it is, the cheaper you can get, but also
mechanical problems will follow you all the time. I bought my first car, a Pontiac
Firefly, after 4 1/2 months in Canada. That was my only time when I had to use the
TTC, and at that time a MetroPass was only $45/month. Now I think it's closed to
$100. It was enough for me to understand that you are a typical negativist. You
see everything in black, and you really enjoy making people believe you. I wish
you best in life, but to be honest with you, with your kind of attitude it will be
hard to overcome many of the downs this life has to offer. Those with a positive
attitude are always the winners. Chris

"Bodza Bodza" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected] o-
m
    > "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > Sorry my friend, but what calendar are you following? Seven months of
winter
    > > in Toronto?
    > Sure. It snows round about mid october and it doesn't start getting above 10C till
    > may. That's seven months my friend.
    > >Are you ok? Are you on drugs? Winter starts in December and ends up in March, end
    > >of March.
    > As I said before "If you come from SIBERIA".
    > >November we have maybe 10C to 15C. Yes, it's cold in the winter, we are in the
    > >Northern Hemisphere, aren't we?
    > Your understanding of meteorology is breathtakingly simplistic if you think every
    > country in the Northern Hemisphere has the same climate.
    > >December to March, that's 4 months
    > Yes it is. Winter doesn't start in December and end in March though. Winter starts
    > mid october and the last week of April there is "spring" where SUDDENLY it goes
    > from 5C to 15C in one week.
    > >we have temp. between -10, maybe -15C, up to 5C.
    > And what countries in Western Europe, APART from Scandinavia have these COLD
    > temperatures all Winter? Check your facts my friend, but I will do you the favour
    > of telling you: NONE.
    > >Of course when it's windy it feels like -30C, but that's anywhere in
    > the
    > > Northern Hemisphere around 45 parallel.
    > Erm, No. It's not. Western Europe has a *milder* winter than Toronto. This is
    > exactly my point. Scandinavia has about the same type of winter as Toronto, so does
    > ex-soviet Eastern Europe.
    > >But even if it was -30C, or -50C, this is the outside temperature, we all have 25C
    > >in our apartments, and
most
    > > of the Canadians have cars.
    > Erm, but not ALL. And if you're a new immigrant, can you afford to just burn up a
    > substantial chunk of your savings on a car. I'd say no.
    > [yadda yadda]
    > Anyways, this is turning into a flame. Carry on if you like. I'll respond at my
    > leisure.
    > Have a good day.

Old Aug 15th 2002, 7:59 am
Bodza Bodza

> Sorry my friend, but I gotta be straight with you. You are still insisting that
    > winter in Toronto has SEVEN months for two reasons:
    > 1) you do not want new immigrants to come to Toronto anymore. To scare them off.

First: I am going to flame you heavily here so get ready.

WTF?? So now you claim to be able to read my mind as to what my intentions are? Not
only are you wildly wrong but you are an ARROGANT sob too. But I knew this was
getting into a flame war.

>Personally, I would like to see more immigrants trying also other Canadian cities,
    > Toronto cannot take almost all of them every year.

I think that it is nuts to send more immigrants into a saturated area where the
economy is bad until at the very least the economy gets better. It is GOOD for CANADA
that the immigrants come because they bring MONEY but it is BAD for the immigrants
because they get ripped off and don't get a decent job. Toronto cannot take all of
them NOW which is my point, NOT that I don't want them to come. On the contrary. I
feel bad that they get here and get the short end of the stick. I am agreeing with
those who say negative things about the economy because it is for that very reason
that I LEFT. Get it now? Didn't think so.

>But I will NEVER lie to them in order to make them avoid this city.

Neither will I.

>I always enjoy telling the naked truth, no matter how hard is some time to
    >swallow it.

And what is the truth when we are talking about something subjective like one's taste
for the weather. From a western European perspective (mine) there IS seven months of
winter. Perhaps from an Eastern European or Scandinavian perspective there is only
four months of winter. From an Indian or South American perspective I bet they think
there is TEN months of winter. You seem to be incapable of understanding that point.

> 2) you might have a medical problem, something that you don't even know about. My
    > mother, her whole life, has been allergic to cold weather, everything bellow
    > +15C for her is Siberia, to use your own words. And she is perfectly healthy,
    > but something in her brain is not
working >properly.

So everybody who comes from a warmer climate has something wrong with their brain?
Now you are just showing yourself to be a *****ing idiot.

> I have been in Toronto for 10 years, but you are the first one I have come across
    > that is telling me that winter down here starts in October and ends-up in April!!!

Do you only work with Siberians then?

> So, in you view, Eastern Europe is cold because it was under Soviet occupation?

Is that what you think I said? Christ, you can't even understand English either. Let
me spell it out for you:

To paraphrase what I said "many ex-soviet states are freezing". Where is the logical
link that says "Eastern European countries that are ex-soviet freezing because they
were ex-soviet". Are you a retard also? Perhaps it is you who have something wrong
with their brain.

>Man, when I read that I just couldn't stop laughing.

Schizophrenia?

>That is one of the greatest jokes I have ever heard lately!!!

Yeah, but the joke is on you foole.

> Car is a must in a large N. American city. And you do not have to go from the
    > beginning to a brand-new vehicle. Every immigrant starts with

Now you are an authority on "every immigrant" i.e. they are all the same? I would not
presume to be so arrogant. You on the other hand do not understand the concept.
Perhaps supercilious is a better word.

> I bought my first car, a Pontiac Firefly, after 4 1/2 months in Canada. That was my
    > only time when I had to use the TTC, and at that time a MetroPass was only
    > $45/month. Now I think it's closed to $100.

I thought you said a car was a must.

> It was enough for me to understand that you are a typical negativist. You see
    > everything in black, and you really enjoy making people believe you.

No I don't. I am a REALIST. Only a ****ing idiot like yourself would try to say there
is NO ECONOMIC RECESSION in Canada right now. Only a ****ing idiot would say that
everything in Canada is ROSY. It's not in the USA nor is it in the UK nor France, nor
Italy, nor Germany etc etc etc. How come everything suddenly becomes PERFECT in
Canada and there will be no problems.

>I wish you best in life, but to be honest with you, with your kind of
attitude
    > it will be hard to overcome many of the downs this life has to offer.

Sure it will. That's why I recognized the impending situation, packed my bags, moved
somewhere else, got a WELL PAYING new job in LESS THAN A MONTH and am now patiently
waiting it out (and saving money) so that I can go back.

>Those with a positive attitude are always the winners.

Sure they are. Positive attitude pays the bills. Idiot.

Old Aug 15th 2002, 11:48 pm
Medusa

Hello Chris,

By the way, there are a lot of French immigrants (born in France) in Quebec. They are
one of the major source of immigrants (may be not a Canada has a hole but definately
province for Quebec for sure).

As far as this country, I love it. I have been to Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal,
Quebec City and Winnipeg. It is all just great....damn best country. I have also
travelled to UK and other countries in the orient.

Le Canada est un très bonne pays. J'aime ici. Je suis à Montréal depuis deux ans.
Le Canada est pays qui a deux langues official...Français et l'Anglais. Allor, Vivre
le Canada!

Arevoir, AD

"Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Sorry my friend, but what calendar are you following? Seven months of
winter
    > in Toronto? Are you ok? Are you on drugs? Winter starts in December and
ends
    > up in March, end of March. November we have maybe 10C to 15C. Yes, it's
cold
    > in the winter, we are in the Northern Hemisphere, aren't we? December to March,
    > that's 4 months, we have temp. between -10, maybe -15C, up to 5C.
Of
    > course when it's windy it feels like -30C, but that's anywhere in the Northern
    > Hemisphere around 45 parallel. But even if it was -30C, or -50C, this is the
    > outside temperature, we all have 25C in our apartments, and
most
    > of the Canadians have cars. So, when do you have time to feel the cold? Personally,
    > I do not have ONE winter coat in my closet, I usually don't
buy
    > what I don't intend to use. My car is parked underground, the elevator
takes
    > me straight there, I never worry about shoveling. And I repeat, to buy a
car
    > in Canada, and drive it every day, is not a big deal. In 10 years I've had 6, the
    > last two brand-new. Canada is not a third world country, it's a
rich
    > country, and if you have a job and a driving license there is no reason
you
    > should wait for the bus or street car. You are saying that in Toronto is very cold,
    > and long winters. What about Chicago (the Windy City), or Minneapolis/St.Paul? Just
    > tell Jesse Ventura that in Toronto is very cold and I do not want to think about
    > his 'reactions'. Some good friends of mine, French nationals, born in France (so no
    > immigrants) were in Toronto for a year, 1999-2000. They are from a small village
    > near Limoges. They told me that the Toronto winter is warmer than
in
    > their place. And you know what they did, in order to feel the 'real'
Canada?
    > They took a trip to Winnipeg, and from Winnipeg to Churchill. This is in Northern
    > Manitoba. That was in March 2000. And they lived there for a full week. You know
    > what temperature was at that time? -50C. And they were not just two adults, they
    > had their 12 yo kid with them. And they did not complain at all about the weather.
    > Why? Because they are STRONG! Me?, no, I am not from Siberia, but what I can tell
    > you is that I do NOT care about weather, hot or cool, sunny or rainy. Because I can
    > adapt to
any
    > kind of climate. I did not come to this country to keep complaining and complaining
    > and complaining. And as far as I know, this country was built
by
    > strong and tough people, mostly immigrants, they did not care if they went to
    > Alberta, Manitoba or Saskatchewan, they were just happy to get an opportunity for
    > a new life in the New World. People work in Fort McMurry, Alberta, and they bring
    > us the energy we need to have a warm life. Take a look were Fort McMurry is, and
    > they do not complain about the weather. I have read all the weird things in this
    > NG, people complaining about the weather, about the job market, most of you are
    > interesting in how to get here and then going back to US or other Oriental
    > destinations, others are surprised because they are asked to provide their
    > passport in order to get the visa sticker, for others Canada must accommodate them
    > in order for
them
    > to love Canada. People, nobody forces you to immigrate to Canada. This is just your
    > own decision. But as long as you have taken it, as long as you have landed, start
    > your new life and STOP complaining. Are these the
today's
    > immigrants? Are these the people Canada counts on? Complaining all the
time
    > is not going to make your life easier. And it's true, it might be easy to get here,
    > but it's a lot harder to make yourself happy. Complaining is not the smart
    > solution. Chris, a non-complainer.
    > "Bodza Bodza" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected] o-
    > m
    > > "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > > Winters in Toronto are similar with the ones in Western/Central Europe
    > (45
    > > > parallel).
    > >
    > > My ass. Western Europe doesn't have winters anything like those of Toronto unless
    > > you're talking about Helsinki! You mean Eastern Europe. Winters in the UK,
    > > Ireland, Germany, Holland, France, Spain, Portugal, Italy etc are NOTHING LIKE
    > > the winter in Toronto, not in temperature, not in duration. The winters in
    > > Western Europe last only three months, unlike the seven month stint you pay every
    > > year in Toronto.
    > >
    > > The only favourable comparison you can make is that the summer in Toronto is
    > > *excellent* compared to that in the rainier countries of *Western* Europe e.g.
    > > Ireland, UK and lasts for 5 months.
    > >
    > > I've lived in WESTERN Europe AND Toronto so I KNOW what I'm talking about. I
    > > prefer the climate of Toronto to that of e.g. Glasgow or Manchester but I prefer
    > > the climate of e.g. Amsterdam, Paris, London, Frankfurt, Madrid, Barcelona,
    > > Lisbon, Rome, Milan a thousand times better than that of Toronto because you
    > > don't have to suffer through the LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG winter.
    > >
    > > If you come from Siberia it's probably OK.

Old Aug 16th 2002, 2:40 am
Forum Regular

Bushbaby is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear All,

I'm afraid to say that I think with people like Chris, you are wasting your breath - however, congratulations to all of those who decided to berate him for his bigoted, contradictory, racist, uniformed diatribe.

Whilst many of us that take part in this forum live in democracies, if there is a moderator of this forum - then YES, please BAN CHRIS! He is truly objectionable and is of no contributory benefit to this forum, save in that we have to wade through his constant ramblings in so many threads!

Mr. Miller, a man of your professional integrity would do better to spend your time answering genuine queries rather than tangling with this 'person' - I know people really appreciate your contributions.

Regards,
:lecture:
Old Aug 16th 2002, 4:05 am
Chris

Buddy, I just got you! I am the best in making people tell their real story. And in
your case, you just told everybody that you are a big ****ing LOOSER!!! You were not
able to adapt here, and you just ran away. I am so glad that we got your money, who
the hell cares that you were unable to make a living in this country. Canada is not a
public daycare, it's just enough that allows such a huge number of immigrants to
start a new life here, Canada is not responsible for their lives after they have
landed here. Most of the immigrants, that's my personal opinion, have no problem
making a good living in Canada, but they did not come here asking for an easy start.
It's up to each individual, immigrant or Canadian citizen, to do his/her best and
fulfill their own dreams. But Canada is not for loosers like yourself. Economic
recession in Canada? Yes, for the IT sector (but this is everywhere in the world,
including US) and for the loosers like yourself. You, dickhead, are in recession, big
time. And I bet you don't even know what a real recession is. When I got here 10
years ago unemployment in Canada was 11 or 12%, now is 7.6%. Those were bad times,
that was a real recession, but we just survived, the strong ones always survive. Only
loosers like you abandon the ship when the ship appears to be in trouble. But the
captain and its crew, NEVER. For people like you, to hear that kind of attitude, I
have NO respect at all, and I am so glad that you are not here anymore. Canada does
not need loosers, Canada needs strong people to carry on building up this beautiful
piece of land. In gentle words, you are just an opportunist. But for me, as a
Canadian who loves this country, you are just a BIG ****ING SCUMBAG and nothing more.
Chris, proudly Canadian

m
    > > Sorry my friend, but I gotta be straight with you. You are still
insisting
    > > that winter in Toronto has SEVEN months for two reasons:
    > > 1) you do not want new immigrants to come to Toronto anymore. To scare
them
    > > off.
    > First: I am going to flame you heavily here so get ready.
    > WTF?? So now you claim to be able to read my mind as to what my intentions are? Not
    > only are you wildly wrong but you are an ARROGANT sob too. But I knew this was
    > getting into a flame war.
    > >Personally, I would like to see more immigrants trying also other Canadian cities,
    > > Toronto cannot take almost all of them every year.
    > I think that it is nuts to send more immigrants into a saturated area where the
    > economy is bad until at the very least the economy gets better. It is GOOD for
    > CANADA that the immigrants come because they bring MONEY but it is BAD for the
    > immigrants because they get ripped off and don't get a decent job. Toronto cannot
    > take all of them NOW which is my point, NOT that I don't want them to come. On the
    > contrary. I feel bad that they get here and get the short end of the stick. I am
    > agreeing with those who say negative things about the economy because it is for
    > that very reason that I LEFT. Get it now? Didn't think so.
    > >But I will NEVER lie to them in order to make them avoid this city.
    > Neither will I.
    > >I always enjoy telling the naked truth, no matter how hard is some time to
    > >swallow it.
    > And what is the truth when we are talking about something subjective like one's
    > taste for the weather. From a western European perspective (mine) there IS seven
    > months of winter. Perhaps from an Eastern European or Scandinavian perspective
    > there is only four months of winter. From an Indian or South American perspective I
    > bet they think there is TEN months of winter. You seem to be incapable of
    > understanding that point.
    > > 2) you might have a medical problem, something that you don't even know about. My
    > > mother, her whole life, has been allergic to cold weather, everything bellow
    > > +15C for her is Siberia, to use your own words. And she is perfectly healthy,
    > > but something in her brain is not
    > working >properly.
    > So everybody who comes from a warmer climate has something wrong with their brain?
    > Now you are just showing yourself to be a *****ing idiot.
    > > I have been in Toronto for 10 years, but you are the first one I have
come
    > > across that is telling me that winter down here starts in October and ends-up in
    > > April!!!
    > Do you only work with Siberians then?
    > > So, in you view, Eastern Europe is cold because it was under Soviet occupation?
    > Is that what you think I said? Christ, you can't even understand English either.
    > Let me spell it out for you:
    > To paraphrase what I said "many ex-soviet states are freezing". Where is the
    > logical link that says "Eastern European countries that are ex-soviet freezing
    > because they were ex-soviet". Are you a retard also? Perhaps it is you who have
    > something wrong with their brain.
    > >Man, when I read that I just couldn't stop laughing.
    > Schizophrenia?
    > >That is one of the greatest jokes I have ever heard lately!!!
    > Yeah, but the joke is on you foole.
    > > Car is a must in a large N. American city. And you do not have to go
from
    > > the beginning to a brand-new vehicle. Every immigrant starts with
    > Now you are an authority on "every immigrant" i.e. they are all the same? I would
    > not presume to be so arrogant. You on the other hand do not understand the concept.
    > Perhaps supercilious is a better word.
    > > I bought my first car, a Pontiac Firefly, after 4 1/2 months in Canada. That was
    > > my only time when I had to use the TTC, and at that
time a
    > > MetroPass was only $45/month. Now I think it's closed to $100.
    > I thought you said a car was a must.
    > > It was enough for me to understand that you are a typical negativist.
You
    > > see everything in black, and you really enjoy making people believe you.
    > No I don't. I am a REALIST. Only a ****ing idiot like yourself would try to say
    > there is NO ECONOMIC RECESSION in Canada right now. Only a ****ing idiot would say
    > that everything in Canada is ROSY. It's not in the USA nor is it in the UK nor
    > France, nor Italy, nor Germany etc etc etc. How come everything suddenly becomes
    > PERFECT in Canada and there will be no problems.
    > >I wish you best in life, but to be honest with you, with your kind of
    > attitude
    > > it will be hard to overcome many of the downs this life has to offer.
    > Sure it will. That's why I recognized the impending situation, packed my bags,
    > moved somewhere else, got a WELL PAYING new job in LESS THAN A MONTH and am now
    > patiently waiting it out (and saving money) so that I can go back.
    > >Those with a positive attitude are always the winners.
    > Sure they are. Positive attitude pays the bills. Idiot.

Old Aug 16th 2002, 7:50 am
Bodza Bodza

[email protected] (Helper) wrote:

> Hello there
    > First of all I am a Canadian born Canadian, lived here all of my life, not in
    > Toronto but near to Toronto, and I can say in all of my 49 years of living I have
    > yet to ever have seven months of winter.

To you the weather you have is normal. To people who come to Canada it is not. If
winter for an immigrant is "anything below 20C" then it is winter almost all year
round. Got it? Didn't think so.

>No wonder when people from other countries see a Canadian they ask them if they ski
    >in July, where do such stupid ideas about weather up here get started?

Another Canadian muth.

> First of all, Toronto seldom gets much snow at all before Christmas,

In the last seven years I lived in Toronto, there was at least one snowfall before
the end of October *every* year that I remember except last year.

> and for the past few years winters have been nothing like they had been in previous
    > decades. It is not at all unusual to see spring flowers coming to life in March.

And in March the temperature would be......

> If you come to Canada don't expect the tropics,

Agreed.

The point I was making is that Toronto has seven months of weather which would be
equal to a Western European winter.

Old Aug 16th 2002, 9:03 pm
Bodza Bodza

> Buddy, I just got you! I am the best in making people tell their real story.

Sure you are. The TRUTH is you are the best at talking out of your arse.

> And in your case, you just told everybody that you are a big ****ing LOOSER!!!

Oh really? You think that I should have stayed with no job and continued to pay my
mortgage and car payments out of savings with the risk that I ran out of savings
before I got a job? Are you a ****ing idiot or what.
    >You were not able to adapt here, and you just ran away.

My ass I just ran away. I abandoned a sinking ship.

>I am so glad that we got your money,

Typical attitude, but WRONG! I own a house in Canada and a Canadian renter is paying
my mortage.

>who the hell cares that you were unable to make a living in this
country.

I still am making a living in Canada. I'm just not paying any expenses. How
about you?

> But Canada is not for loosers like yourself. Economic recession in Canada? Yes, for
    > the IT sector (but this is everywhere in the world, including US)

Erm, no. It's not. There is nowhere near as bad an IT recession here in Europa as in
bust North America.

> You, dickhead, are in recession, big time.

I would have been, had I stayed. But I didn't. I left all the LOSERS like you to sink
whilst I swam to shore. Right now I'm watching you LOSERS flounder in the icy cold.

>And I bet you don't even know what a real recession is. When I got here 10 years
    >ago unemployment in Canada was 11 or 12%,

It was still 11 or 12% when I got there two years after you. I had to work commision
only. But in spite of me being a "loser" I survived there till I decided to go
elsewhere six months ago.

> Only loosers like you abandon the ship when the ship appears to be in trouble. But
    > the captain and its crew, NEVER.

Sure, go down with the ship, like the Titanic. I'll sell you a lifejacket.

> I am so glad that you are not here anymore.

Guess what buddy, so am I.

> Canada needs strong people to carry on building up this beautiful piece of land.

No it doesn't. It needs suckers who bring their hard earned savings to just hand it
over to greedy, heartless bastards like yourself.

> In gentle words, you are just an opportunist.

I can live with that.

>But for me, as a Canadian who loves this country, you are just a BIG
****ING >SCUMBAG and nothing more.

Thank you. Same back. Switch the lights out on the way out will ya?

Old Aug 21st 2002, 4:27 pm
Just Joined

cdnchick is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Chris:
Sorry my friend, but what calendar are you following? Seven months of winter in
Toronto? Are you ok? Are you on drugs? Winter starts in December and ends up in
March, end of March. November we have maybe 10C to 15C. Yes, it's cold in the winter,
we are in the Northern Hemisphere, aren't we? December to March, that's 4 months, we
have temp. between -10, maybe -15C, up to 5C. Of course when it's windy it feels like
-30C, but that's anywhere in the Northern Hemisphere around 45 parallel. But even if
it was -30C, or -50C, this is the outside temperature, we all have 25C in our
apartments, and most of the Canadians have cars. So, when do you have time to feel
the cold? Personally, I do not have ONE winter coat in my closet, I usually don't buy
what I don't intend to use. My car is parked underground, the elevator takes me
straight there, I never worry about shoveling. And I repeat, to buy a car in Canada,
and drive it every day, is not a big deal. In 10 years I've had 6, the last two
brand-new. Canada is not a third world country, it's a rich country, and if you have
a job and a driving license there is no reason you should wait for the bus or street
car. You are saying that in Toronto is very cold, and long winters. What about
Chicago (the Windy City), or Minneapolis/St.Paul? Just tell Jesse Ventura that in
Toronto is very cold and I do not want to think about his 'reactions'. Some good
friends of mine, French nationals, born in France (so no immigrants) were in Toronto
for a year, 1999-2000. They are from a small village near Limoges. They told me that
the Toronto winter is warmer than in their place. And you know what they did, in
order to feel the 'real' Canada? They took a trip to Winnipeg, and from Winnipeg to
Churchill. This is in Northern Manitoba. That was in March 2000. And they lived there
for a full week. You know what temperature was at that time? -50C. And they were not
just two adults, they had their 12 yo kid with them. And they did not complain at all
about the weather. Why? Because they are STRONG! Me?, no, I am not from Siberia, but
what I can tell you is that I do NOT care about weather, hot or cool, sunny or rainy.
Because I can adapt to any kind of climate. I did not come to this country to keep
complaining and complaining and complaining. And as far as I know, this country was
built by strong and tough people, mostly immigrants, they did not care if they went
to Alberta, Manitoba or Saskatchewan, they were just happy to get an opportunity for
a new life in the New World. People work in Fort McMurry, Alberta, and they bring us
the energy we need to have a warm life. Take a look were Fort McMurry is, and they do
not complain about the weather. I have read all the weird things in this NG, people
complaining about the weather, about the job market, most of you are interesting in
how to get here and then going back to US or other Oriental destinations, others are
surprised because they are asked to provide their passport in order to get the visa
sticker, for others Canada must accommodate them in order for them to love Canada.
People, nobody forces you to immigrate to Canada. This is just your own decision. But
as long as you have taken it, as long as you have landed, start your new life and
STOP complaining. Are these the today's immigrants? Are these the people Canada
counts on? Complaining all the time is not going to make your life easier. And it's
true, it might be easy to get here, but it's a lot harder to make yourself happy.
Complaining is not the smart solution. Chris, a non-complainer.

m
    > > Winters in Toronto are similar with the ones in Western/Central Europe
(45
    > > parallel).
    > My ass. Western Europe doesn't have winters anything like those of Toronto unless
    > you're talking about Helsinki! You mean Eastern Europe. Winters in the UK, Ireland,
    > Germany, Holland, France, Spain, Portugal, Italy etc are NOTHING LIKE the winter in
    > Toronto, not in temperature, not in duration. The winters in Western Europe last
    > only three months, unlike the seven month stint you pay every year in Toronto.
    > The only favourable comparison you can make is that the summer in Toronto is
    > *excellent* compared to that in the rainier countries of *Western* Europe e.g.
    > Ireland, UK and lasts for 5 months.
    > I've lived in WESTERN Europe AND Toronto so I KNOW what I'm talking about. I prefer
    > the climate of Toronto to that of e.g. Glasgow or Manchester but I prefer the
    > climate of e.g. Amsterdam, Paris, London, Frankfurt, Madrid, Barcelona, Lisbon,
    > Rome, Milan a thousand times better than that of Toronto because you don't have to
    > suffer through the LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG winter.
    > If you come from Siberia it's probably OK.
GO Victoria
really beautiful place to live........... so is nanaimo you won't regret it ps I would never recommend toronto, I've lived in both:PARTY:
Old Aug 21st 2002, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

stuart1997 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by cdnchick:
GO Victoria
really beautiful place to live........... so is nanaimo you won't regret it ps I would never recommend toronto, I've lived in both:PARTY:
Cheers for the reply cdnchick
from what ive seen on the net of victoria and namaimo they both look nice places.
just waiting on a reply to my resume i sent,then i can get the ball rolling!
Old Aug 22nd 2002, 4:18 am
Just Joined

steveharrisca is an unknown quantity at this point

Your right about Victoria - it's a great city. Been here just over a year.

Good luck.....

Originally posted by stuart1997:

Cheers for the reply cdnchick
from what ive seen on the net of victoria and namaimo they both look nice places.
just waiting on a reply to my resume i sent,then i can get the ball rolling!