Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

hearing aids prices

hearing aids prices

Old Jan 19th 2006, 10:00 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hearing aids prices

I agree with you wholeheartedly, Batty. I often meet up with the looks, like today, when I'm unable to hear. For instance, myself and another legal secretary share a cubby. Inbetween us is the printer. Well two of the attorneys, the techonology head and the other secretary were chatting up a storm and my back was to the phone. I never heard it ring and one of the attys pointed it out to me but by that time it had gone to voicemail. I watched the facial expressions between both attys and the secy.

If only they were to realize that most times I would rather have lost the use of my legs than my hearing. I miss so much in life. The songs of birds, of water in a foundation, a child's little voice, and my classical music. It is so frustrating to be so hard of hearing and no one with normal hearing understands what it is like.

I wish you luck in the job hunt. Perhaps Canada will be easier than it is here in the States. Since I'm only 8 years from retirement, I am trying my damnest not to lose this job unless I'm let go because of the hearing loss and then I will sue. In fact the atty who made the face was the one who wanted to have me fired three years ago. I have the e-mails and rebuttals to him. If only he would, then I would not have to worry about the cost of a hearing aid or holding down a job.

Andy, thank you for contributing to the discussion. It was informative and enlightening. BTW I am looking at Oticon as their reputation is excellent and I am waiting on a small inheritance which should cover the cost retail for me.

Night
Rete

Originally Posted by Andy_Jen
I really am going to go to bed after this

I know what you mean about hearing loss not being really understood... particularly the comparison to vision. The organ of hearing is wonderously complex and the processing required to 'hear' something is awesome (in the UK usage of the word). Once the hair cells are damaged and particularly when your hearing loss becomes severe or profound the quality of the sound you hear can vary incredibly. And no hearing aid, no matter how expensive or techinical can 'fix' it. All hearing aids, from basic to grande, have to work with the hearing system in its damaged state. When people compare hearing to vision it's not a good represntation as you pointed out. Other people can close their eyes and imagine what it would be like not to see.... people cannot alter their sensitivity of hearing at selected pitches and therefore the empathy is harder to generate.

I really wish you the best of luck and let's hope the medical requests / PRs come quickly for all of us

Jen
Old Jan 20th 2006, 3:50 am
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

This is one of those subjects where, for us, Canada has been the right place to move to.

My eldest child, who passed two hearing tests in England BTW, is severely deaf in one ear, but fortunately only mildly deaf in the other.

In England the hearing aids and batteries would be free. Mind you, as his hearing challenges were not picked up in Blightly that is a bit moot.

His one aid here cost $1300. It is by Oticon. With that I have 3 years insurance. It covers full replacement (up to 3 times I believe). However, I have extended medical and they picked up 70% of the cost.

I am thrilled to bits with the hearing clinic in our home city. My child has a speech therapist (who is also a qualified teacher) to to his school once a week. I get regular reports on his progress. The school has bought speakers for his class and a microlink for the gym (for assemblies).

Now, if anyone can pass on any tips to make him turn the darn thing on (he is at the "I don't need it anymore" stage) .

Clare
Old Jan 20th 2006, 7:41 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by batty-x-ray
thanks for the info there HWPs - is that per aid or for both ears??

maybe if you u can get yours reprogrammed they may suit better? its an art form juggling the settings.
For the ones I was shopping for, that was for two.

Yeah... I've had them reprogrammed, adjusted, turned up, etc... I just can't get used to them. I'm thinking of trying a new audiologist (the one you told me about) but I honestly, I think it's just me not fully accepting that I'm hard of hearing.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by Rete
You must remember there is an Ontario in the US as well. It is in California.
And there's a California in Ontario (I think).
Old Jan 20th 2006, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by batty-x-ray
so as for canada its a risk trying to move and get a job when you are partilly deaf- i would find it hard to get one here, but i do find that canadians are more helpful and dont get embarrassed at being asked to repeat themselves, or to rephrase.
... and they're louder and speak slower!

To be honest, my hearing problem is one of the reasons I'm returning to Canada. Though I know I am hard of hearing, it is far less noticable to me (and other people) in Canada than it is here in England. In fact, I didn't even realize the extent of my hearing loss until I moved here. In Canada, my difficulty in hearing things is an irritation, in England it's a problem that affects me.

People generally are softer-spoken here in England than in Canada and it can make it very difficult for me to hear. Plus many people here seem very reluctant to speak a little louder (embarrassment?) so I can hear them which has, for me, meant not getting to know a few people that I would have liked to.

And the speed at which people speak. So much of my time in conversation is spent trying to piece fragments of sentences together in a way that makes sense to the conversation ("do you like my red socks?" I think she said red socks! or did she say red fox? or maybe she said dead fox! thinking ... analyzing... interpreting...effing exhausting!). I'm sure you know what I mean! Generally people in Canada speak slower, which gives me much more time to fill in the blanks.

Plus the accents, I can just hear a North American accent better - it's not so 'clicky' with the confusing consonants (f, s, c, t, etc) - to me anyway. I can't hear the high frequencies very well (well, not really much at all!) but I'm fine with the medium and low stuff. Barry White would have been my ideal partner in conversation.

I hope the slow talkin', loud mouthed locals have a positive affect on your settlement in Ontario!
Old Jan 20th 2006, 8:11 am

people cannot alter their sensitivity of hearing at selected pitches and therefore the empathy is harder to generate.
Very good point!

A few years ago, I once found (and had a link to) a website that had audio files of what various things sound like to people with various types of hearing loss. I had a mishap with my hard drive and lost it but it did help friends of mine who listened to some of the files, get a sense of how I hear and what they could do if they wanted to be heard by me (better). I would love to find that site or similar again, as I found it very useful.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 8:21 am

I agree with you wholeheartedly, Batty. I often meet up with the looks, like today, when I'm unable to hear. For instance, myself and another legal secretary share a cubby. Inbetween us is the printer. Well two of the attorneys, the techonology head and the other secretary were chatting up a storm and my back was to the phone. I never heard it ring and one of the attys pointed it out to me but by that time it had gone to voicemail. I watched the facial expressions between both attys and the secy.
Makes me want to kick them both... very hard!

Isn't that the worst? I often get the vibe that people mistake my 'unusualness' in certain situations as being stupid rather than just having a very different experience of what's going on. It's hard not to start believing in that vibe sometimes - frustrating as hell!
Old Jan 20th 2006, 8:24 am

Just one more post!

There, I've half a dozen posts, one after the other, in the same thread!
Old Jan 20th 2006, 1:38 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
People generally are softer-spoken here in England than in Canada and it can make it very difficult for me to hear. Plus many people here seem very reluctant to speak a little louder (embarrassment?) so I can hear them which has, for me, meant not getting to know a few people that I would have liked to.
We have socialized with a few couples we have met from the US Immigration forum. Some are Canadian and some are from the UK. Don't have a problem hearing the Canadians but damn, I can't hear the Brits. I was constantly asking them to repeat themselves or to speech louder. I explained my hearing problem. But after a few minutes they would revert to the soft spoken speak patterns they normally use. So it would be a matter of either not seeing them any longer or having my husband act as my "hearing ear person" when visiting.

And the speed at which people speak. So much of my time in conversation is spent trying to piece fragments of sentences together in a way that makes sense to the conversation ("do you like my red socks?" I think she said red socks! or did she say red fox? or maybe she said dead fox! thinking ... analyzing... interpreting...effing exhausting!). I'm sure you know what I mean! Generally people in Canada speak slower, which gives me much more time to fill in the blanks.
Yes and I find that most Americans at least on the Eastern Seaboard do as well. But I can so identify with the fill in the missing word concept. I have to go through this with answering phone calls for my attorneys. I like to have a fully up-todate phone book so that if asking them to repeat themselves twice and I still can't get the correct spelling of their names I can through my Sherlock Holmes skills find their names on the listing and the phone number and breathe a sigh of relief that another failure has been reverted.

And you're right being deaf does not mean we are unintelligent. I hold a college degree. I have many talents and a love of history and the arts. I'm not simple minded or slow. I'm just deaf.

Plus the accents, I can just hear a North American accent better - it's not so 'clicky' with the confusing consonants (f, s, c, t, etc) - to me anyway. I can't hear the high frequencies very well (well, not really much at all!) but I'm fine with the medium and low stuff. Barry White would have been my ideal partner in conversation.
Like you I'm better with the deep tones then high pitched frequencies such as a child's or many women's. I lip read fairly well but hate when someone is talking behind your back and you can't see their faces to do this. I haven't been able to talk with my Canadian grandson the last three years simply because his young voice is so shrill and he rattles on so quickly I can't understand much of what he says. Try to make a 4 or 5 year old understand that grandma loves you but can't understand what you are saying on the phone and therefore can't talk with you.

You know just writing about it makes me want to cry. We miss so much. I can't enjoy my classical music or even the oldies but goodies as everything is just bassy. I find myself sometimes wishing I had never remarried 8 years ago and stuck to my reclusive lifestyle. It was so much less frustrating to be alone.

I hope the slow talkin', loud mouthed locals have a positive affect on your settlement in Ontario!
Thanks for letting me vent. I'm hoping as well that your transition is painless and advantageous for you batty.

Last edited by Rete; Jan 20th 2006 at 1:41 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

I really am going to go to bed after this

I understand where you're coming from. And there are a number of people with not brilliant experiences of NHS hearing aids and audiology departments. But there have been a lot of improvements in the past few years. The NHS modernisation programme for hearing aids has been doing great things for what audiology services can provide, however there can still be quite a bit of variation in departments... some have embraced the changes to digital and some have found it more challenging. And some audiologists / departments have more experience fitting the digital aids than others. I work solely in the NHS and I have the same or very similar computer programme that allows me to show the fitting range of all the different hearing aids overlapped with the client's audiogram. The NHS does have the advanage of bulk buying to allow us to reduce the price to the department (therefore the taxpayer) of the individual hearing aids. For instance, I can get a top of the range, high-powered, third-generation digital BTE hearing aid for less than £200. Now, I'll leave you to make your own decisions regarding how much you think the NHS could actually get off the trade price of a hearing aid and compare it to the price you're being quoted. Saying that, I'll quickly note that I don't have the trade price for the Perseo at my fingertips, although I could find out if it would help you.

I know what you mean about hearing loss not being really understood... particularly the comparison to vision. The organ of hearing is wonderously complex and the processing required to 'hear' something is awesome (in the UK usage of the word). Once the hair cells are damaged and particularly when your hearing loss becomes severe or profound the quality of the sound you hear can vary incredibly. And no hearing aid, no matter how expensive or techinical can 'fix' it. All hearing aids, from basic to grande, have to work with the hearing system in its damaged state. When people compare hearing to vision it's not a good represntation as you pointed out. Other people can close their eyes and imagine what it would be like not to see.... people cannot alter their sensitivity of hearing at selected pitches and therefore the empathy is harder to generate.

I really wish you the best of luck and let's hope the medical requests / PRs come quickly for all of us

Jen
you're obviously a caring woman and rightly proud of your profession, thank you for you comments on here, maybe your hospital is one of the ones that have a private dispensing section- if so please pm me!!
Old Jan 20th 2006, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

If only they were to realize that most times I would rather have lost the use of my legs than my hearing. I miss so much in life. The songs of birds, of water in a foundation, a child's little voice, and my classical music. It is so frustrating to be so hard of hearing and no one with normal hearing understands what it is like.

I wish you luck in the job hunt. Perhaps Canada will be easier than it is here in the States. Since I'm only 8 years from retirement, I am trying my damnest not to lose this job unless I'm let go because of the hearing loss and then I will sue. In fact the atty who made the face was the one who wanted to have me fired three years ago. I have the e-mails and rebuttals to him. If only he would, then I would not have to worry about the cost of a hearing aid or holding down a job.

Andy, thank you for contributing to the discussion. It was informative and enlightening. BTW I am looking at Oticon as their reputation is excellent and I am waiting on a small inheritance which should cover the cost retail for me.

Night
Rete
its certainly hard having a hearing loss, mine is hereditary and my mother now can only hear a few very low very loud noises, but she copes brilliantly- too well sometimes, she was upset last week because one of her "friends" took her to one side to tell her she wasnt deaf, the old you can hear when you want too idea, so bloody annoying

i miss birdsong though with my new aids i can hear them again if i am close enough. music i miss, it just sounds too odd with the aids. but i turn it up full blast in the car.

there are some advantages....... you dont have to lie awake listening to mosquitoes buzzing around for one!

if you want to chat more then pm me and we canswop messenger addresses
Old Jan 20th 2006, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

And there's a California in Ontario (I think).
theres a california in aylesbury and one in norfolk too
Old Jan 20th 2006, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ClareBC
This is one of those subjects where, for us, Canada has been the right place to move to.

My eldest child, who passed two hearing tests in England BTW, is severely deaf in one ear, but fortunately only mildly deaf in the other.

In England the hearing aids and batteries would be free. Mind you, as his hearing challenges were not picked up in Blightly that is a bit moot.

His one aid here cost $1300. It is by Oticon. With that I have 3 years insurance. It covers full replacement (up to 3 times I believe). However, I have extended medical and they picked up 70% of the cost.

I am thrilled to bits with the hearing clinic in our home city. My child has a speech therapist (who is also a qualified teacher) to to his school once a week. I get regular reports on his progress. The school has bought speakers for his class and a microlink for the gym (for assemblies).

Now, if anyone can pass on any tips to make him turn the darn thing on (he is at the "I don't need it anymore" stage) .

Clare
thats brilliant, so good to hear he wont be disadvantaged because of his hearing
Old Jan 20th 2006, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

... and they're louder and speak slower!

To be honest, my hearing problem is one of the reasons I'm returning to Canada. Though I know I am hard of hearing, it is far less noticable to me (and other people) in Canada than it is here in England. In fact, I didn't even realize the extent of my hearing loss until I moved here. In Canada, my difficulty in hearing things is an irritation, in England it's a problem that affects me.

i think its embarrasment, plus an element of not understanding, theres unfortunately a do gooder element too, people woudl rather feel good helping the blind person cross the road than speak loudly and have everyone hear what they are saying. you need to cultivate some upper class friends they dont mind at all who hears what they say or how loudly they speak !!!

And the speed at which people speak. So much of my time in conversation is spent trying to piece fragments of sentences together in a way that makes sense to the conversation ("do you like my red socks?" I think she said red socks! or did she say red fox? or maybe she said dead fox! thinking ... analyzing... interpreting...effing exhausting!). I'm sure you know what I mean! Generally people in Canada speak slower, which gives me much more time to fill in the blanks
. yes you have to have yoru wits about you to hear, a whole day at work is very tirign just listening that i often dont feel like socialising. at lunch time i have to have quiet and "me time" to recover so i can cope with the afternoons. -- as my mum says - you hear soem funny things when you are deaf

yes the speech thing is tricky as english falls into the speech banana area

yeah- the dont rush me i'm canadian syndrome!!
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

Andy_Jen has much to be proud ofAndy_Jen has much to be proud ofAndy_Jen has much to be proud ofAndy_Jen has much to be proud ofAndy_Jen has much to be proud ofAndy_Jen has much to be proud ofAndy_Jen has much to be proud ofAndy_Jen has much to be proud ofAndy_Jen has much to be proud ofAndy_Jen has much to be proud ofAndy_Jen has much to be proud of

Very good point!

A few years ago, I once found (and had a link to) a website that had audio files of what various things sound like to people with various types of hearing loss. I had a mishap with my hard drive and lost it but it did help friends of mine who listened to some of the files, get a sense of how I hear and what they could do if they wanted to be heard by me (better). I would love to find that site or similar again, as I found it very useful.
Hi HWP (have I mentioned that I now feel I'm communicating with the famous? I've been reading this group for years ....anyways, back to the point)

There are a lot of programmes and wav files that will let you demonstrate a hearing loss... they're not perfect as no one can represent an individual's difficulties as they're unique, but it can give a very good idea. I found a downloadable programme from University College London (UCL) that I've known others to use. It's at: http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/resource/hearloss/

There are other sites with just wav files:

http://www.hearingcenteronline.com/sound.shtml
http://facstaff.uww.edu/bradleys/radio/library.html
http://www.phonak.com/consumer/heari...nglossdemo.htm
http://facstaff.uww.edu/bradleys/radio/hlsimulation/
http://www.utdallas.edu/~thib/rehabinfo/tohl.htm

There are others, but these are a good place to start...

Hope that helps,
Jen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.