Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Healthcare in Ontario, Info needed

Healthcare in Ontario, Info needed

Old Oct 13th 2008, 9:28 pm
The /wortley`s

The Wortley`s has a brilliant futureThe Wortley`s has a brilliant futureThe Wortley`s has a brilliant futureThe Wortley`s has a brilliant futureThe Wortley`s has a brilliant futureThe Wortley`s has a brilliant futureThe Wortley`s has a brilliant future
Default Healthcare in Ontario, Info needed

Hi, I have looked in the Wiki for this, Iam sure it is there just cant find it.
Can anyone give me information about the healthcare in Ontario once you have landed as a PR. I know for the first 3 months you have to take out healthcare insurance but what happens after that.
Thanks
Old Oct 14th 2008, 12:21 am
Account Closed

hippy chick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Healthcare in Ontario, Info needed

Hi, you can apply for your medical cards as soon as you get there. They will then automatically kick in after 3 months. You dont have to worry about registering for them straight away, we only applied for ours 4 weeks before they kicked in. The 3 months starts the day you land so dont worry about that.
Goodluck
Old Oct 14th 2008, 12:58 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Wortley`s
Can anyone give me information about the healthcare in Ontario once you have landed as a PR. I know for the first 3 months you have to take out healthcare insurance but what happens after that.
Thanks
OHIP - the Ontario Health Insurance Plan - is not dissimilar in principle to the NHS. Primary healthcare, most referred treatment, emergency, etc are all free at the point of delivery - you'll need to present your OHIP card and then off you go. Dental is not generally covered, nor is eyecare, although there are exceptions. Prescription costs are not covered, and can be very expensive if you need costly drugs. Many employers, and some individuals, take out additional insurance coverage to take care of drug charges and dental care.

There's a reasonably good Q&A here: http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/...hipfaq_mn.html
Old Oct 14th 2008, 1:27 am
The /wortley`s

The Wortley`s has a brilliant futureThe Wortley`s has a brilliant futureThe Wortley`s has a brilliant futureThe Wortley`s has a brilliant futureThe Wortley`s has a brilliant futureThe Wortley`s has a brilliant futureThe Wortley`s has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
OHIP - the Ontario Health Insurance Plan - is not dissimilar in principle to the NHS. Primary healthcare, most referred treatment, emergency, etc are all free at the point of delivery - you'll need to present your OHIP card and then off you go. Dental is not generally covered, nor is eyecare, although there are exceptions. Prescription costs are not covered, and can be very expensive if you need costly drugs. Many employers, and some individuals, take out additional insurance coverage to take care of drug charges and dental care.

There's a reasonably good Q&A here: http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/...hipfaq_mn.html
Many thanks to you all who have advised, much appreciated
Old Oct 14th 2008, 7:39 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Wortley`s
There is a Wiki called Medical Insurance-Canada. It listed what provincial health care insurance plans typically did and did not cover and what was recommended during the waiting period before eligibility for provincial health care insurance.

However, it did not tell you how or when to register with your province's health care insurance plan. I have now added a section called Registering for provincial health care insurance.

Your question was helpful, because questions on the forum highlight gaps in the Wiki.
x