Reload this Page >

health jobs in Alberta with British credentials

health jobs in Alberta with British credentials

Old Aug 9th 2013, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

loccitane is an unknown quantity at this point
Default health jobs in Alberta with British credentials

Hello expats,

How easy or difficult is it getting health jobs in Alberta with British degrees?

I'm struggling a bit with trying to explain to employers about my degree. Did any of you have the same problem?
Did any of you pay to get your credentials officially recognised and if so did that help in any way?
Old Aug 9th 2013, 5:41 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: health jobs in Alberta with British credentials

Originally Posted by loccitane
Hello expats,

How easy or difficult is it getting health jobs in Alberta with British degrees?

I'm struggling a bit with trying to explain to employers about my degree. Did any of you have the same problem?
Did any of you pay to get your credentials officially recognised and if so did that help in any way?
You would need to have your qualifications from the UK assessed and you would need to be registered and/or licenced before you would be able to work in Health Care in Alberta.

You can read more here: http://www.albertahealthservices.ca/careers/page23.asp

There are quite a few threads on this subject if you do a search

Welcome to BE by the way!

Old Aug 9th 2013, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you Siouxie.

This is where it is complicated. My profession doesn't fall into their categories lol. I'm a substance misuse counsellor which employers here tend to want you to have a social work degree or a psychiatric nursing degree and that is probably where a lot of confusion happens because they are not used to a drug and alcohol counselling degree.

I will do a search to see other threads. Thank you for the help!

Last edited by loccitane; Aug 9th 2013 at 5:53 pm. Reason: explained some more
Old Aug 9th 2013, 6:11 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loccitane
Thank you Siouxie.

This is where it is complicated. My profession doesn't fall into their categories lol. I'm a substance misuse counsellor which employers here tend to want you to have a social work degree or a psychiatric nursing degree and that is probably where a lot of confusion happens because they are not used to a drug and alcohol counselling degree.

I will do a search to see other threads. Thank you for the help!
You are welcome.

In Canada, that is called an "Addictions Counsellor"

This might be useful: http://www.caccf.ca/a_certification.html - specifically: http://www.caccf.ca/a_certification_icadc.html

http://www.workingincanada.gc.ca/rep...abs_container2

It appears not to be a regulated occupation but you will probably need certification from CACCF

Old Aug 9th 2013, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks again Siouxie,

I've been on the caccf website before but I don't have enough hours clocked to get certified by them as I'm a recent graduate and only have my 2 placements here in MB to count (330 hours of working).

After looking at some of these credential websites - I'm baffled! the IQAS which is recognised in Alberta by many employers isn't recognised by Alberta Health Services.
I've applied to Alberta Health for several positions and also to other provinces but I thought it would help more if I got this credential recogition paper.

I'll do a search or post to see about recommendations for credential companies.
Old Aug 9th 2013, 10:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute

depends on what you mean by 'health jobs'

If it is related to nursing you need to contact the provincial college of Nursing for assessment of your qualifications etc.

CARNA (College Association of Registered Nurses of Alberta)

http://www.nurses.ab.ca
Old Aug 9th 2013, 10:38 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Mad Jockette
depends on what you mean by 'health jobs'

If it is related to nursing you need to contact the provincial college of Nursing for assessment of your qualifications etc.

CARNA (College Association of Registered Nurses of Alberta)

http://www.nurses.ab.ca
She is a Substance Misuse Counsellor, which is here is called an "Addiction Counsellor" - nothing to do with nursing.

Old Aug 9th 2013, 10:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
She is a Substance Misuse Counsellor, which is here is called an "Addiction Counsellor" - nothing to do with nursing.

okay, I misread the post