Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Health Insurance Prices (Sorry If This Has Been Mentioned Before)

Health Insurance Prices (Sorry If This Has Been Mentioned Before)

Old Dec 22nd 2009, 4:33 am
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 89
MAC32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Health Insurance Prices (Sorry If This Has Been Mentioned Before)

All

Can I ask of a Guesstimate (Estimate) of how much single guy living in Canada for Health Insurance is Roughly?

I was told anything up from $400

Regards

Mac
MAC32 is offline  
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 5:33 am
  #2  
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 4,483
Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Insurance Prices (Sorry If This Has Been Mentioned Before)

Ib BC it would be about $60 per month.
Jim Humphries is offline  
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 5:39 am
  #3  
Moderαtor Emeritus
 
iaink's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Upstate South Carolina
Posts: 30,768
iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Insurance Prices (Sorry If This Has Been Mentioned Before)

Originally Posted by MAC32
All

Can I ask of a Guesstimate (Estimate) of how much single guy living in Canada for Health Insurance is Roughly?

I was told anything up from $400

Regards

Mac
Not sure I understand the question.

Heath Insurance to cover what exactly?

If you mean the additional costs associated with provincial coverage, then knowing the province would be a help.
iaink is offline  
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 7:19 am
  #4  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 89
MAC32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Health Insurance Prices (Sorry If This Has Been Mentioned Before)

Ok I mean Health Care Private Health Insurance Full cover for a single person..

Apparently it can range up to $400 a month full cover with meds and doctors.

Mac
MAC32 is offline  
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 8:27 am
  #5  
Moderαtor Emeritus
 
iaink's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Upstate South Carolina
Posts: 30,768
iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Insurance Prices (Sorry If This Has Been Mentioned Before)

Originally Posted by MAC32
Ok I mean Health Care Private Health Insurance Full cover for a single person..

Apparently it can range up to $400 a month full cover with meds and doctors.

Mac
Still not getting it... Do you mean like travel insurance, or coverage until the provincial programs kick in?

For residents full "Private" coverage in lue of the provincial coverage is not really an option in Canada.... its not illegal as such, its just not possible for doctors to operate within both the provincial and the privately funded systems, so they go where the majority of the money is (provincial).

There are of course insurance programs to cover what the province doesnt (prescription drugs, dental, paramedical services etc), you can get online quotes depending on the level of coverage you are looking for...

for example
http://www.bluecross.ca/
http://www.greatwestlife.com/001/Hom...ance/index.htm
iaink is offline  
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 8:40 am
  #6  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 89
MAC32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Health Insurance Prices (Sorry If This Has Been Mentioned Before)

Originally Posted by iaink
Still not getting it... Do you mean like travel insurance, or coverage until the provincial programs kick in?

For residents full "Private" coverage in lue of the provincial coverage is not really an option in Canada.... its not illegal as such, its just not possible for doctors to operate within both the provincial and the privately funded systems, so they go where the majority of the money is (provincial).

There are of course insurance programs to cover what the province doesnt (prescription drugs, dental, paramedical services etc), you can get online quotes depending on the level of coverage you are looking for...

for example
http://www.bluecross.ca/
http://www.greatwestlife.com/001/Hom...ance/index.htm
Hi

I am not PR (Yet) I will be on TWP until PR Kicks in...

So I am slightly worried about not having health care. So I read some scary stuff on Private Health Insurance and costs while on TWP.

Mac
MAC32 is offline  
Old Dec 28th 2009, 7:45 am
  #7  
Moderαtor Emeritus
 
iaink's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Upstate South Carolina
Posts: 30,768
iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Insurance Prices (Sorry If This Has Been Mentioned Before)

Originally Posted by MAC32
Hi

I am not PR (Yet) I will be on TWP until PR Kicks in...

So I am slightly worried about not having health care. So I read some scary stuff on Private Health Insurance and costs while on TWP.

Mac
Well, In Ontario the provincial coverage kicks in after 3 months for temp workers (although there are a few hoops to jump through that have been covered here before), and there are a few providers to chose from for the three month gap (see the Wiki section on healthcare for a list)

When I was here on a TWP my employer covered it as part of the recruitment package.
iaink is offline  
Old Dec 28th 2009, 8:05 am
  #8  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 89
MAC32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Health Insurance Prices (Sorry If This Has Been Mentioned Before)

Originally Posted by iaink
Well, In Ontario the provincial coverage kicks in after 3 months for temp workers (although there are a few hoops to jump through that have been covered here before), and there are a few providers to chose from for the three month gap (see the Wiki section on healthcare for a list)

When I was here on a TWP my employer covered it as part of the recruitment package.
Hi Iain

I have to pay cover for the full year as I will not be covered by the provincial coverage while on TWP in Ontario if you are please point me to how! as I have been told that provincial coverage is now for Canadian Citizens or PR Citizens.

Lets see what happens after the new year!

Again thanks
MAC32 is offline  
Old Dec 28th 2009, 8:37 am
  #9  
Born again atheist
 
Novocastrian's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Europe (to be specified).
Posts: 30,259
Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Insurance Prices (Sorry If This Has Been Mentioned Before)

Originally Posted by MAC32
Hi Iain

I have to pay cover for the full year as I will not be covered by the provincial coverage while on TWP in Ontario if you are please point me to how! as I have been told that provincial coverage is now for Canadian Citizens or PR Citizens.

Lets see what happens after the new year!

Again thanks
Iain's right. In Ontario as a TWP you'll be covered by OHIP after 3 months.

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/publi...hipfaq_dt.aspx

Last edited by Novocastrian; Dec 28th 2009 at 8:41 am. Reason: link added
Novocastrian is offline  
Old Dec 28th 2009, 8:51 am
  #10  
G77
BE Forum Addict
 
G77's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Windsor, ON
Posts: 3,374
G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Insurance Prices (Sorry If This Has Been Mentioned Before)

Originally Posted by MAC32
Hi Iain

I have to pay cover for the full year as I will not be covered by the provincial coverage while on TWP in Ontario if you are please point me to how! as I have been told that provincial coverage is now for Canadian Citizens or PR Citizens.

Lets see what happens after the new year!

Again thanks
Nonsense.... As stated above, there's just a waiting period for the first 3 months where you need to get an insurance policy, can't remember the exact cost but £300-400 for our family of 3 springs to mind.

After that you're covered by OHIP till the expiry date of the TWP, which you then must renew by presenting a new TWP or PR (if you have it by then).
G77 is offline  
Old Dec 28th 2009, 8:54 am
  #11  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 89
MAC32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Health Insurance Prices (Sorry If This Has Been Mentioned Before)

Thanks to all...

I called round a few Health insurance companies asking for 2 years Health cover as I was told I would not get State Health Care there....

However Info Provided is great and first thing tomorrow I look this up.

Thanks all

MAC32 is offline  
Old Dec 28th 2009, 8:56 am
  #12  
G77
BE Forum Addict
 
G77's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Windsor, ON
Posts: 3,374
G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Insurance Prices (Sorry If This Has Been Mentioned Before)

Originally Posted by MAC32
Thanks to all...

I called round a few Health insurance companies asking for 2 years Health cover as I was told I would not get State Health Care there....

However Info Provided is great and first thing tomorrow I look this up.

Thanks all

I used these for the 3 month coverage - http://www.canadasure.com/

Can't comment on how good they were as never had to claim fortunately, but the price was competitive.
G77 is offline  
Old Dec 28th 2009, 10:57 am
  #13  
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 12,830
Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Insurance Prices (Sorry If This Has Been Mentioned Before)

I believe Blue Cross do a policy for the interim. There are also some costs that are not covered by provincial plans. You may want to check with the provincial porvider. For these services you can buy extended health care through a company such as Blue Cross or it may be offered by your employer. If you go out of province or out of the country it is a good idea to also make sure you have travel insurance, the provincial plan is very limited in what it provides.
Aviator is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.