Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Health Insurance in Alberta

Health Insurance in Alberta

Old Jan 3rd 2007, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Health Insurance in Alberta

Hi Guys

Hubby goes to Alberta Feb 4th to start his new job.

I know that Alberta has it's own Healthcare that all residents pay into I think via their payroll - but my question is : Once you are paying these contributions are you instantly covered or will he have to take out say a 3 month policy to cover the first say 3 months?

I know that this has been discussed on other threads but couldnt find one for Alberta.

Thanks

Gaynor
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 10:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Insurance in Alberta

Originally Posted by burton bunch
Hi Guys

Hubby goes to Alberta Feb 4th to start his new job.

I know that Alberta has it's own Healthcare that all residents pay into I think via their payroll - but my question is : Once you are paying these contributions are you instantly covered or will he have to take out say a 3 month policy to cover the first say 3 months?

I know that this has been discussed on other threads but couldnt find one for Alberta.

Thanks

Gaynor
No 3 month wait in Alberta - you are covered from the day you register

This link should assist - http://www.health.gov.ab.ca/

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Jan 3rd 2007 at 10:19 am. Reason: added link
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks DTLE

Was pretty much certain that this was the case - but didnt want Phil to go with no insurance.

Happy New Year

Gaynor
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 2:19 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dying to leave England
No 3 month wait in Alberta - you are covered from the day you register
I too used to think that, DTLE, and that's what I used to tell posters who asked. However, I think it was Piff Poff who corrected me on that point. Her husband arrived in Alberta ahead of Piff Poff and their children, and he was not immediately eligible for provincial health care insurance.

This page of the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan website states:

Arriving in Alberta ahead of your dependants

If your dependants plan to join you in Alberta later, you should maintain coverage for your family and yourself at the location where they still live.

At a minimum I think it warrants further investigation on the part of the Burtons.
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 2:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
I too used to think that, DTLE, and that's what I used to tell posters who asked. However, I think it was Piff Poff who corrected me on that point. Her husband arrived in Alberta ahead of Piff Poff and their children, and he was not immediately eligible for provincial health care insurance.

If your dependants plan to join you in Alberta later, you should maintain coverage for your family and yourself at the location where they still live.

At a minimum I think it warrants further investigation on the part of the Burtons.
I stand corrected

I hadn't even thought of that
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

AnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really nice

Also, I don't believe health insurance is paid via company payroll. My understanding is that you personally are sent a quarterly bill from the Alberta dept of Health, and it is up to you to pay it (we have only just received our AB health cards last month as we were covered by Ontario for the first few months of living here, so I am still a bit fuzzy on details).
Old Jan 3rd 2007, 4:24 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AnyaT
Also, I don't believe health insurance is paid via company payroll. My understanding is that you personally are sent a quarterly bill from the Alberta dept of Health, and it is up to you to pay it (we have only just received our AB health cards last month as we were covered by Ontario for the first few months of living here, so I am still a bit fuzzy on details).
Most employers do deduct AHC at source if they provide benefits. If you are hired as a part time employee or full time without benefits then AHC is usually up to the individual.
Old Jan 4th 2007, 4:33 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary

Yo Judy! yep was me - I seem to remember it was also to do with the fact we were on work permits too - his work benefits started from day one and the doc's said we could claim back thier fees ($30 per visit cash only) once we got AHC through - OH had some probs and emergency surgery before our three months were up and AHC covered the cost of it all otherwise it would have been about $6000 for a one night stay and a 10 minute surgery.:scared: We weren't sensible in getting alternative coverage - didn't even come into the thought radar (Doh!) Oh the things we would have done differently to lessen potential stress problems. AHC is $88 per family think it is just $44 for a singly and if your full time a portion of that is usually paid by your employer and it should come straight out of your pay (thats what happens at hubby's and my work anyhow).
Old Jan 4th 2007, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Piff Poff

So if hubby going over before me and it is a "paid" thing by employer will he be covered immediately he starts work ?

Sorry - thicko day - sniff sniff

BB
Old Jan 4th 2007, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi

Got a reply from Alberta Healthcare regarding my OP as follows :-

a person lawfully entitled to be or to remain in Canada who makes his home and is ordinarily present in Alberta and any other person deemed by the regulations to be a resident but does not include a tourist, transient or visitor to Alberta. As long as you are a resident of Alberta, you must maintain your Alberta Health coverage.

Your husband must be present in Alberta to apply for Alberta Health Insurance Plan coverage.

Persons moving permanently to Alberta from another country must register with Alberta Health within three months of arrival. If all Canada entry documents are in order and the application is received within the required time, coverage is effective the date of arrival. If the application is not received within the required time, the effective date is determined at the time of registration. As your husband is moving to Alberta prior to your move he will have to apply as a single person and we will add you and your children once you have arrived in Alberta.

Thought I would let u know

Gaynor
Old Jan 4th 2007, 11:54 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by burton bunch
Hi Piff Poff

So if hubby going over before me and it is a "paid" thing by employer will he be covered immediately he starts work ?

Sorry - thicko day - sniff sniff

BB

I seem to remember that he had to wait the 3 months before he was actually covered, (we did get the hospital bills and questioned them and then they honored them because he was only 2 weeks under the required timelines) I know as soon as he arrived his work got him filling in loads of forms and he couldn't put me and daughter on them until I had actually arrived. Work took the payments from day one. Due to loads of misinformation when I arrived at a later date I was given a visitors permit for 6 months - My daughter and I were not covered until I got a work permit and then the required 3 months, so daughter and I were without health cover for 9 months (it was longer than that 'cause of yet another bureacratic mis up ).