Health Cover

Old Apr 29th 2007, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

peterb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Health Cover

I Landed with my family in August 2006, we travelled back and forth to the Uk until we sold our house in the Uk and bought in Canada.

We all got our SIN's last month, and are now in country.

I have yet to register with a doctor, but it is next on my list.

Can anyone tell me how we go about getting the provincial medicare cover? As I recall, we are ineligilbe in BC for our first 3 months of residency. Although we have been PR's for over 18 months now, we have only just moved and I guess have to wait 3 months before getting the provincial cover.

Thanks
Old Apr 29th 2007, 2:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Cover

I've only ever registered in provinces with instant cover for those coming from abroad, but I would say register now and let *them* count out your three months. Better to be in the system and have cover kick in than turn up and have to start the whole process after your 3mths is up.
Old Apr 29th 2007, 6:37 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Cover

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I've only ever registered in provinces with instant cover for those coming from abroad, but I would say register now and let *them* count out your three months. Better to be in the system and have cover kick in than turn up and have to start the whole process after your 3mths is up.
I agree with Biiiiink. From what I have read, it takes a month or so, from the time that you register, for the paperwork to go through. So if you turn up to register only when you're eligible, there will be that added waiting time. On the other hand, if you register before you're eligible, your coverage will kick in as soon as you're eligible.

Practically every facet of life is different in each Canadian province. I followed your signature and found your previous posts in an effort to figure out where you were. I gather you're in Golden, BC. Here is a website about enrolling with BC's Medical Services Plan. Even they say you should register with them ASAP.