Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Health care in BC

Health care in BC

Old Aug 31st 2008, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

pip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nice
Default Health care in BC

Could anyone shed any light on to healthcare in bc, how it works, how much it costs, how soon can i register after landing? There seems to be alot of infor about alberta on the wiki but nothing specific to bc. Only thing i did discover is that i cant donate blood, bit of a cheek to incinuate all brits have BSE.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 7:45 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Health care in BC

Originally Posted by pip_is_fab
Could anyone shed any light on to healthcare in bc, how it works, how much it costs, how soon can i register after landing? There seems to be alot of infor about alberta on the wiki but nothing specific to bc. Only thing i did discover is that i cant donate blood, bit of a cheek to incinuate all brits have BSE.
http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/insurance/about_hi.html

As for the blood donations issue we've already had a major tainted blood scandal in Canada no offence but we don't want to take the chance on another no matter how remote the chances.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 7:50 pm
Banned

pamplemousse is just really nicepamplemousse is just really nicepamplemousse is just really nicepamplemousse is just really nicepamplemousse is just really nicepamplemousse is just really nicepamplemousse is just really nicepamplemousse is just really nice

bit of a cheek to incinuate all brits have BSE.

It's not anti-British. Canadians, Americans, Indians, etc... anyone who has spent a certain period of time (the actual time is something I can't remember at the moment) in Britain, can not donate blood in Canada either.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

pip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nice

i understand safety and all that, it's just i loved the fact i could donate blood in england, i couldnt wait to be old enough!! My mum had alway been when i was younger so it just feels such a shame to be not able to help, when i am so used to being able to donate in england. Oh well i suppose i can always do the honours every time i holiday back here.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 8:16 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Since the tainted blood scandal, things tightened up. Guess covering their backs.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew..._name=&no_ads=
Old Aug 31st 2008, 8:27 pm
Banned

pamplemousse is just really nicepamplemousse is just really nicepamplemousse is just really nicepamplemousse is just really nicepamplemousse is just really nicepamplemousse is just really nicepamplemousse is just really nicepamplemousse is just really nice

i understand safety and all that, it's just i loved the fact i could donate blood in england, i couldnt wait to be old enough!! My mum had alway been when i was younger so it just feels such a shame to be not able to help, when i am so used to being able to donate in england. Oh well i suppose i can always do the honours every time i holiday back here.
You could always donate time or money if you're feeling charitable. A private bloodletting ritual could give you that lighted-headed, nauseous feeling (or is that just me? ).

Personally, I'm glad to be absolved of the guilt for not rolling up my sleeve!
Old Sep 1st 2008, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

babycart has a spectacular aura aboutbabycart has a spectacular aura aboutbabycart has a spectacular aura about

When you first arrive as a PR you have to wait approx 3 months before you can use healthcare services - Medical Services Plan (MSP). Most people advise you take insurance to cover you for the iterum period.

Once on MSP you get GP & Hospital care like the UK- Prescriptions you pay actual price of medication rather than discount rate in the NHS.

Ambulance is approx $500 per journey.

Healthcare varies across BC, but by all accounts healthcare is better than UK when you get it.
Old Sep 1st 2008, 12:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute

Oh well i suppose i can always do the honours every time i holiday back here.
Yeah, I do that if I can. It's such a shame to hear on the radio adverts imploring people of my blood type to donate and not being able to
Old Sep 1st 2008, 12:47 am
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by babycart
When you first arrive as a PR you have to wait approx 3 months before you can use healthcare services - Medical Services Plan (MSP). Most people advise you take insurance to cover you for the iterum period.
Balance of the month you arrive and the two following months. Arrive last day of the month and you only wait just over 2.

Once on MSP you get GP & Hospital care like the UK- Prescriptions you pay actual price of medication rather than discount rate in the NHS.
Depends on your income level. Fair Pharmacare sets a family deductible and limit, thereafter the government picks up the tab. As a for GP, depends on whether you can find one taking new patients. There are also walk in clinics.

Ambulance is approx $500 per journey.
Nearer $50 and also depends on your circumstances. If you are on premium assistance you don't pay.
Old Sep 1st 2008, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

babycart has a spectacular aura aboutbabycart has a spectacular aura aboutbabycart has a spectacular aura about

I wish members on BE didn't feel the need their information should be right and constantly go out their way to contradict other members who also want to contribute.

Approx 3 months- versus 2 months and expiry of 1st month- come on get a life whats the difference.

Wife is a GP in BC so $500 for an ambulance is right unless you qualify for assistance. Most expats will be working therefore you will end up paying. I have also spoken to the the advisor for MSP who confirmed this.

Prescription cost is a significant cost so be prepared.

Last edited by babycart; Sep 1st 2008 at 5:13 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Sep 1st 2008, 5:22 pm
Banned

Approx 3 months- versus 2 months and expiry of 1st month- come on get a life whats the difference.
Up to 30 days, which I would say is quite significant if you happen to not have any other coverage and are taken ill. Timing your arrival can save a wait of several weeks for MSP coverage.

Wife is a GP in BC so $500 for an ambulance is right unless you qualify for assistance. Most expats will be working therefore you will end up paying. I have also spoken to the the advisor for MSP who confirmed this.
We got a bill for $54 when my daughter had a bike accident and was carted off in an ambulance. It is now around $80 http://www.canada.com/theprovince/ne...9-b6d32c83b0a2 This is for all residents covered under MSP, those on premium assistance pay nothing.

Prescription cost is a significant cost so be prepared.
Depending on your income it can be high or low. So to say significant is a bit broad. Low income, pay nothing if drug is covered by Fair Pharmacare, high income pay more. If one is earning $40,000 a year the family maximum is around $1600, after which MSP pick up the tab for drugs covered under the scheme. Any medicinal drugs not covered are at full price to the patient. Some drugs that are approved and not generally covered the patient can ask their doctor to apply for a special authority for them to be covered.

If you are not covered under MSP then rates are considerably more. Up to several thousand for air ambulance!

Suggest confirming your facts before posting and scaring the bejeebers out of new immigrants. It is not a case of being more right than another poster, rather for accuracy.

Last edited by Surrey Expat; Sep 1st 2008 at 5:30 pm.
Old Sep 1st 2008, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

I wish members on BE didn't feel the need their information should be right and constantly go out their way to contradict other members who also want to contribute.

A month's private insurance is quite a lot of money - I suppose if money is no problem to you then it is irrelevant It's these kind of useful tips that help newcomers. By flying on the last day of the month instead of the following day can save a family money

Surrey Expat didn't "contradict" you - he corrected you! He has been offering advice for a long time.

It is very annoying when newcomers post as though they know everything about everything
Old Sep 1st 2008, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

2nd Post from Surrey Expat a lot more informative & helpful- $500 still the price for an ambulance if you have no MSP- Yes Income is the factor- I make no excuses for having a higher family income- we end up paying more for our healthcare.

The costs that a new comer will have to deal with is a lot higher than most anticipate- and it is not about scaring new comers.

Fuschiagirl just an example of irrelevant post that fills up these threads- I am sure Surrey Expat can defend his own statements.

BE is for new and "established" member- its not a private forum for a select few members & it is an opportunity for all to learn- just expressing my view or do BE senior members have a right to dictate who can post.
Old Sep 1st 2008, 9:18 pm
Banned

2nd Post from Surrey Expat a lot more informative & helpful- $500 still the price for an ambulance if you have no MSP- Yes Income is the factor- I make no excuses for having a higher family income- we end up paying more for our healthcare.

The costs that a new comer will have to deal with is a lot higher than most anticipate- and it is not about scaring new comers.

Fuschiagirl just an example of irrelevant post that fills up these threads- I am sure Surrey Expat can defend his own statements.

BE is for new and "established" member- its not a private forum for a select few members & it is an opportunity for all to learn- just expressing my view or do BE senior members have a right to dictate who can post.
Don't be so childish.
Old Sep 1st 2008, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Surrey Expat
Don't be so childish.
?????? another example of an irrelevant post.

My advise to any newcomer- go to your GP & stock up as much as you can get, particularly if you have a chronic condition. Certain medicines that you can buy over the counter in the UK will be prescription only here. Even over the counter medicines I have found is more expensive than the UK-

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.