Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

HEADACHES - CALGARY

HEADACHES - CALGARY

Old Mar 30th 2011, 3:23 am
BE Enthusiast

AllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of light
Default HEADACHES - CALGARY

This is a banal topic, so my apologies in advance!

Just wondered if anyone else suffered from headaches since living in Calgary.

Other Calgarians complain about them due to the altitiude/pressure changes and I guess dryness of the atmosphere.

I don't normally suffer from them either.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 4:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Sam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud of
Default Re: HEADACHES - CALGARY

My OH gets headaches when we have a rapid change in the weather but they don't seem to last to long.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 4:14 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Some say they get headaches prior to the onset of and during a chinook. Shouldn't have been a problem this winter, we've hardly had any.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 4:16 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

My husband has far more headaches here than he did in the UK, they are most severe when we get the little bit of a chinook (we just get the edge of them up here).
Old Mar 30th 2011, 4:19 am
BE Enthusiast

AllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of light

This is what I keep hearing - The infamous 'Chinook Headache'.

So it really is true ......
Old Mar 30th 2011, 4:21 am
BE Enthusiast

LucyLovelock is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah yes,
Chinooky head! I dont get them as much as I used to.
Still would rather have them over the constant rain of England any day though!
And the lovely warmer weather they bring...when we get them!LOL
Old Mar 30th 2011, 4:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Like today - didn't have to wear hat or gloves!! It was tropical.... 8 degrees above 0 .... woo! hoo!
Old Mar 30th 2011, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

HSJones is an unknown quantity at this point

You learn something new everyday! I always thought a Chinook was a helicopter!
Old Mar 30th 2011, 3:48 pm
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

We only been here 3 months but myself and teenage daughter have had way more headaches than in the UK.

However could be due to increased coffee consumption for me and in her case spending too much time on FB into the wee small hours, coupled with an overload of Justin Bieber.

Not really found good headache remedy yet, regular acetaminophen (paracetamol) only 325mg not very effective with recommended dose. Just got some Ultra Headache Relief with caffeine to try next time.......
Old Mar 30th 2011, 4:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to all

Very interesting thread!!

I'm very worried about my OH as he tends to suffer from them here as it is, so sort of dreading what he'll be like in Calgary.

Still, hopefully the sunny skies will make up for them. Apparently Calgary is the sunniest city in Canada!
Old Mar 30th 2011, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

firefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nice

Originally Posted by Cowgirl

I'm very worried about my OH as he tends to suffer from them here as it is, so sort of dreading what he'll be like in Calgary.

Still, hopefully the sunny skies will make up for them. Apparently Calgary is the sunniest city in Canada!
I have them tooften heree in Calgary never had headaches in the uK but they can last upto a week here and some times longer
Old Mar 30th 2011, 6:38 pm
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Cowgirl

Just make sure you have a decent pair of shades for driving the moment you step off the plane! That goes for the depths of winter too, there is a lot of potential headache inducing glare off the snow even when the sun's not out, which is rare.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 1:43 am
Just Joined

britcanuck6 is an unknown quantity at this point

livin in calgary definitely means headaches n sleepless nights - somebody recently suggested tylenol sinus to help relieve this and to fall asleep at night......
Old Mar 31st 2011, 2:46 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

It's not a myth, unfortunately! Apart from the glare from the sun, as well as the Chinooks, it is very easy to get dehydrated here .... and of course coffee consumption makes that worse too!

So drink plenty, wear your shades as suggested .... and I am currently finding Advil gels or Motrin (plus go sleep if possible for an hour) works as well as anything.

oh though .... wasn't it great to have the sun and warm weather today? Coming home it was 12 degrees ... I left my fleece at work so drove home in my T-shirt with bare arms and had my car window open as well!

My son was wearing his shorts when I got home.
Old Apr 1st 2011, 7:27 pm
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

I suffered migraines as a child and teenager, but they mostly stopped in my 20s. When I moved to Calgary, they came back. 3 years later, and they have mostly gone again.

Some things to remember:

* Calgary is 1.1km/3800ft above sea level - that's actually quite a way, and your body will take time to adjust

* Wild changes in barometric pressure are medically and scientifically proven to cause migraine sufferers to have more attacks. The UofC is doing some great research in that field

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.