Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Head Chef positions - eyes and ears needed!

Head Chef positions - eyes and ears needed!

Old Jan 6th 2017, 3:22 am
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 270
Victoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Head Chef positions - eyes and ears needed!

Hi all

I know some have helped others out on here having read many posts, so I'm hoping that I will have the same luck!

Long story short - I got offered a job in BC but in the end turned it down due to the money not being as much as originally told. I have been offered another position but we do need both myself and husband to be working as we are keeping our home in London on for at least a year or until we settle. We don't want to run the risk of heading out there on just one guaranteed salary.

My son who is nearly 19 has just been approved his IEC ( that happened eight weeks earlier than I thought!!!).

We are actively looking for work opportunities for my husband but although have been told his profession as a Head Chef is in demand many times, we are aware that he does need to actually fly out there to start talking to potential employers which he is intending to do by March.

If anyone knows or hears of any possible opportunities, could you let me know! He has had 30 years experience as a Head Chef and is extremely talented . He's worked in many high end restaurants as well as Corporate and Banqueting catering and before you ask, no he doesn't cook at home unless we are entertaining!!

We are wanting to be in BC but not overly concerned where at the beginning as we will be renting and my job allows me to work from home. We have been looking at Kelowna but it seems the work is very seasonal out there. The work location will dictate the area we move too.

I'm hoping the move goes according to plan. Im still terrified that we won't get PR after TWP because our points are quite low even with Canadian work experience but hopefully he will get PNP!

Also panicking that they won't up the dependant child age to 22 this year so we can put the eldest on our PR application but I guess everyone panics about everything !
Thanks all. Appreciate the help.
Victoria34 is offline  
Old Jan 6th 2017, 5:57 am
  #2  
Banned
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 19,879
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Head Chef positions - eyes and ears needed!

Originally Posted by Victoria34
Hi all

I know some have helped others out on here having read many posts, so I'm hoping that I will have the same luck!

Long story short - I got offered a job in BC but in the end turned it down due to the money not being as much as originally told. I have been offered another position but we do need both myself and husband to be working as we are keeping our home in London on for at least a year or until we settle. We don't want to run the risk of heading out there on just one guaranteed salary.

My son who is nearly 19 has just been approved his IEC ( that happened eight weeks earlier than I thought!!!).

We are actively looking for work opportunities for my husband but although have been told his profession as a Head Chef is in demand many times, we are aware that he does need to actually fly out there to start talking to potential employers which he is intending to do by March.

If anyone knows or hears of any possible opportunities, could you let me know! He has had 30 years experience as a Head Chef and is extremely talented . He's worked in many high end restaurants as well as Corporate and Banqueting catering and before you ask, no he doesn't cook at home unless we are entertaining!!

We are wanting to be in BC but not overly concerned where at the beginning as we will be renting and my job allows me to work from home. We have been looking at Kelowna but it seems the work is very seasonal out there. The work location will dictate the area we move too.

I'm hoping the move goes according to plan. Im still terrified that we won't get PR after TWP because our points are quite low even with Canadian work experience but hopefully he will get PNP!

Also panicking that they won't up the dependant child age to 22 this year so we can put the eldest on our PR application but I guess everyone panics about everything !
Thanks all. Appreciate the help.
You could try contacting this agency" - my cousin is one of the consultants. They've been in business many years. There's also a whole load of other agencies on this page. and here.

Best of luck with the search!

Siouxie is offline  
Old Jan 6th 2017, 6:00 am
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 270
Victoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Head Chef positions - eyes and ears needed!

Originally Posted by Siouxie
You could try contacting this agency" - my cousin is one of the consultants. They've been in business many years. There's also a whole load of other agencies on this page. and here.

Best of luck with the search!

Siouxie - THANK YOU !! My husband is quite negative that he will get offered a job whilst still in the UK but I keep telling him that he have to keep trying and it DOES happen ! But, we need to make contacts and then get him out there to follow up !!
Victoria34 is offline  
Old Jan 6th 2017, 6:02 am
  #4  
Banned
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 19,879
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Head Chef positions - eyes and ears needed!

Originally Posted by Victoria34
Siouxie - THANK YOU !! My husband is quite negative that he will get offered a job whilst still in the UK but I keep telling him that he have to keep trying and it DOES happen ! But, we need to make contacts and then get him out there to follow up !!
If he contacts a couple of the agencies that concentrate on hospitality and explains that he will have an open work permit etc., with x years experience and looking to move over in xyz, they may well initially interview him via Skype (I know the company my cousin works for does this).

Worth a try anyway!

Siouxie is offline  
Old Jan 6th 2017, 6:15 am
  #5  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 270
Victoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Head Chef positions - eyes and ears needed!

Originally Posted by Siouxie
If he contacts a couple of the agencies that concentrate on hospitality and explains that he will have an open work permit etc., with x years experience and looking to move over in xyz, they may well initially interview him via Skype (I know the company my cousin works for does this).

Worth a try anyway!

Fantastic ! Thanks again ! I forgot to mention in my original post that hubby will have to get the visa. Although I have been offered a job, in my industry, it's commission only so I have taken another job on with much better clients. So, unfortunately, I can't get a visa because there is no base wage which is extremely annoying because the commission is worth much much more than any base wage for my industry !

My husband is a bit negative that someone will employ him and have to wait three months for a visa to come through, let alone all the hassle that goes with it, but I have told him, we just have to keep trying. He is so talented and knowing that there is a demand for good Chefs out there, it's worth the constant emails !!

At least these can be followed up with meetings when we fly out for a visit in the next several weeks
Victoria34 is offline  
Old Jan 6th 2017, 8:50 am
  #6  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 270
Victoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Head Chef positions - eyes and ears needed!

Scrap the above! Just been offered a job with salary which I have accepted so I can get the visa ! Nice to be recommended by a colleague!
Victoria34 is offline  
Old Jan 6th 2017, 9:20 am
  #7  
Banned
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 19,879
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Head Chef positions - eyes and ears needed!

Originally Posted by Victoria34
Scrap the above! Just been offered a job with salary which I have accepted so I can get the visa ! Nice to be recommended by a colleague!
That's brilliant news!! Congratulations!!!

Siouxie is offline  
Old Jan 6th 2017, 9:35 am
  #8  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 270
Victoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Head Chef positions - eyes and ears needed!

Originally Posted by Siouxie
That's brilliant news!! Congratulations!!!

Thank you ! We are now fully back on track!

Siouxie. Off the original post title, do you think that they will up the age of the dependant child to 22 this year ? I'm assuming my sons IEC visa is for two years although it didn't state on the approval letter, it just stated the expiration date in which he has to arrive in Canada which is obviously this time next year.

So if they do, technically that should give us enough time to get him on our visa which would be great because when he wants to study out there, I understand that unless we are PR, the costs are eye watering !!!

Sorry, totally off subject !!! I'm back in panic mode again !Thank you !
Victoria34 is offline  
Old Jan 6th 2017, 10:56 am
  #9  
Banned
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 19,879
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Head Chef positions - eyes and ears needed!

Originally Posted by Victoria34
Thank you ! We are now fully back on track!

Siouxie. Off the original post title, do you think that they will up the age of the dependant child to 22 this year ? I'm assuming my sons IEC visa is for two years although it didn't state on the approval letter, it just stated the expiration date in which he has to arrive in Canada which is obviously this time next year.

So if they do, technically that should give us enough time to get him on our visa which would be great because when he wants to study out there, I understand that unless we are PR, the costs are eye watering !!!

Sorry, totally off subject !!! I'm back in panic mode again !Thank you !
I do think they will up the age of dependants, I think there was so much backlash when they reduced it that they had to have a rethink.

Notice – Proposed Regulatory Changes: Maximum Age of Dependants and http://www.gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p1/20...l/reg2-eng.php

Once your son activates his IEC (and receives his work permit) at the airport, it will be valid for 2 years. What some do is to enter as a visitor and then activate it once they have found a job (provided it isn't about to expire!).

Yes, international students pay a lot so if he can wait until you all have PR it will be a lot cheaper!

No need for panicking, you're doing great!

Siouxie is offline  
Old Jan 6th 2017, 11:04 am
  #10  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 270
Victoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Head Chef positions - eyes and ears needed!

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I do think they will up the age of dependants, I think there was so much backlash when they reduced it that they had to have a rethink.

Notice – Proposed Regulatory Changes: Maximum Age of Dependants and Canada Gazette – Regulations Amending the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (Age of Dependent Children)

Once your son activates his IEC (and receives his work permit) at the airport, it will be valid for 2 years. What some do is to enter as a visitor and then activate it once they have found a job (provided it isn't about to expire!).

Yes, international students pay a lot so if he can wait until you all have PR it will be a lot cheaper!

No need for panicking, you're doing great!

Thank you,thank you again. I honestly don't know what I would have done without you all!!

I didn't realise my son could enter as a visitor. I actually said to him about an hour ago that he wouldn't be able to come out with us to have a look at suitable areas to live prior to the move because his visa would activate!!! So that's great news !

He's ready to go now but seems to forget who needs to pay for his flight and put the money in his bank!!!

Now to find a new area to live as I need to be closer to Vancouver! But I will start that in a new post once the paperwork starts going through !

I really can't express my gratitude enough. Xx
Victoria34 is offline  
Old Jan 6th 2017, 11:33 am
  #11  
Banned
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 19,879
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Head Chef positions - eyes and ears needed!

Originally Posted by Victoria34
Thank you,thank you again. I honestly don't know what I would have done without you all!!

I didn't realise my son could enter as a visitor. I actually said to him about an hour ago that he wouldn't be able to come out with us to have a look at suitable areas to live prior to the move because his visa would activate!!! So that's great news !

He's ready to go now but seems to forget who needs to pay for his flight and put the money in his bank!!!

Now to find a new area to live as I need to be closer to Vancouver! But I will start that in a new post once the paperwork starts going through !

I really can't express my gratitude enough. Xx
You are most welcome!!

If he comes over for a visit with you prior to the move, he should tell CBSA that he has an LOI (letter of introduction) but is not activating it at this time as he is just doing a 'recce' with his family. He can show his return flight details to prove this. When you all move over - and if he wishes to enter as a visitor then - he can again tell them that he has an LOI but is deferring activating it until he has helped the family settle and found a job.

One thing though - he WILL need to show proof of funds / proof of insurance when he does activate it, so he may find he has no choice at the time you all move over 'permanently' as he may find it difficult to find an insurer that will extend past the 2 year time period. I believe there's a couple of insurers mentioned in the 2016/2017 IEC threads.

Best of luck and I'm sure that as a family you will make this work!

Siouxie is offline  
Old Jan 6th 2017, 10:36 pm
  #12  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 270
Victoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Head Chef positions - eyes and ears needed!

Originally Posted by Siouxie
You are most welcome!!

If he comes over for a visit with you prior to the move, he should tell CBSA that he has an LOI (letter of introduction) but is not activating it at this time as he is just doing a 'recce' with his family. He can show his return flight details to prove this. When you all move over - and if he wishes to enter as a visitor then - he can again tell them that he has an LOI but is deferring activating it until he has helped the family settle and found a job.

One thing though - he WILL need to show proof of funds / proof of insurance when he does activate it, so he may find he has no choice at the time you all move over 'permanently' as he may find it difficult to find an insurer that will extend past the 2 year time period. I believe there's a couple of insurers mentioned in the 2016/2017 IEC threads.

Best of luck and I'm sure that as a family you will make this work!

Ok, got it. I think with time lines we will probably keep him here until we go permanently. We need to be over by August at the very latest so the younger kids can start the new school year so for the sake of four months and the possibility of hassle with the insurance companies, this may be the best route.

I will start to look at insurance etc .

Phew , what a whirlwind!! 😅
Victoria34 is offline  
Old Jan 7th 2017, 2:45 am
  #13  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Qc, Canada
Posts: 3,787
Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Head Chef positions - eyes and ears needed!

Is the job offer you have received dependent on the employer getting an LMIA?
Shirtback is offline  
Old Jan 7th 2017, 2:49 am
  #14  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 270
Victoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Head Chef positions - eyes and ears needed!

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Is the job offer you have received dependent on the employer getting an LMIA?
Hi, yes it is
Victoria34 is offline  
Old Jan 7th 2017, 3:30 am
  #15  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Qc, Canada
Posts: 3,787
Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Head Chef positions - eyes and ears needed!

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Is the job offer you have received dependent on the employer getting an LMIA?
Originally Posted by Victoria34
Hi, yes it is
Then no need to panic (yet!), it's not going to happen overnight .

Your son has up to a year from the date of issue to activate his LOI (as per all the great info Siouxsie has already given you).

Might I suggest taking a deep breath & calming down?

Once you have LMIA & your TWP, I'm going to go out on a limb & suggest that your husband won't have too much difficulty finding a job with a SOWP.
Shirtback is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.