Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

a hayfever question....

Wikiposts

a hayfever question....

Old Jun 23rd 2009, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Strawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to behold
Default a hayfever question....

My OH and 8 yr old daughter suffer from hayfever over here, now when we go to drier climates in Europe ie spain, france etc, their hayfever improves. I was wondering what about Vancouver etc. We are coming in July to Vancouver and ending up in Calgary, Now I know you might say errr yes we do get hayfever here!!!!! but I thought Id check if anyone suffered say more or less or just the same and stop asking daft questions Mel.....

Apologies in advance...

Mel
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 10:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paul5455 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: a hayfever question....

my partner gets hayfever quite badly, but when we were in Calgary ( June/July 08), she didnt seem to suffer at all!

mind you, we were concentrating on not being eaten alive by bugs at the time!
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: a hayfever question....

Hayfever, as you are no doubt aware, is caused by tree and grass pollen and can therefore vary in its effect just as the pollen species varies.

irrespective of where you are or the severity of the symptoms, i have heard and personally experienced the beneficial effects of eating honey that is produced locally (ie is made of the same allergy causing pollen!)

mixed in red bush (rooibos) tea, it works wonders, especially if you have a sore throat from all that damn sneezing!
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 10:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Strawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to behold

cheers all
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

jamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nice

We moved to calgary last summer and my OH hayfever cleared up ,he didnt have any at all,but he has it really bad in the uk this year.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 1:40 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

I can't answer for Vancouver or Calgary, but I found both the severity and duration of hayfever reduced hugely when we moved here to southern Ontario. There's still the odd day when my eyes & nose leak a bit, but I'm not on a daily ration of loratidine tablets here, just taking one now and then as necessary.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 1:48 am
Forum Regular

Tracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud of

I used to suffer quite badly with Hayfever in the UK, but luckily since arriving here I haven't even had so much as a watery eye or sniffle
Old Jun 24th 2009, 1:52 am
BE Enthusiast

lucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud of

My hayfever has been variable out here...I say hayfever but I don't know what it is as there were some weeks during the winter I was chowing down the antihistamine tablets.

This week it went nuts, I've just about gotten it under control with tablets and a nasal spray twice a day and I'm still sneezing a bit. That is Toronto mind you so it may be different on the west coast. It will also depend on what pollen/mould she's actually allergic to.

Edit: Forgot to say it hasn't been worse than the UK pretty much the same just affecting me at different times
Old Jun 24th 2009, 3:48 am
BE Enthusiast

danfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud of

I too suffered from bad hayfever in England, but haven't even needed to take any hayfever tablets since coming to Calgary last summer. The worst pollen for my hayfever was always lilac, which is absolutely everywhere here, but the worst I've felt has been a slight itch in my nose.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 4:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I suffered really badly with hayfever in England. So much so that I attended a "Beachams" lab to enable them to concoct a specific injection for me that I took for years in the UK, it never really helped.

Having said that, I understand that hayfever affects people less and less as they age.

I am now close to 40 and I noticed that it affected me less as I aged. Since arriving in Calgary 2 1/2 years ago I have not been affected at all. Whether that is Calgary's climate or age, who knows. I have been "affected" in a similar fashion throughout N. America
Old Jun 24th 2009, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

MrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud of

In Calgary my hayfever dissapeared, but was replaced with tiny nosebleeds and lizard hands etc due to dryness.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 10:05 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

No hayfever in the UK. Here, I do get some sort of sniffly bunged up thing that's better with anti histamines.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 2:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

minimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud of

It depends which pollens etc trigger your hayfever!

I've had hayfever since I was about 10 years old, but have noticed that it has got better in the last few years since leaving Yorkshire. No symptoms whatsoever since moving to Canada. It's usally the blue flowery stuff (flax, I think) that kills me but haven't seen any of that here.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 12:26 am
BE Enthusiast

We have jasmine all over our back garden and I am sure this is really bad for both of them...