Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Have You Moved Province?

Have You Moved Province?

Old Dec 5th 2011, 8:11 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Have You Moved Province?

Following a thread comparing the Eastern provinces, Bristol UK, suggested it might be a good idea to find out how many of you might have 'arrived' at 'A' and then moved to 'B'.

So here's the question - did you arrive in one province and then move somewhere else? If so Why? Do you regret it? Would you like, or do you plan, to move province in the future? Again, the Why?

Many thanks
Old Dec 5th 2011, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

edmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Have You Moved Province?

In my opinion you should plan your move to Canada with the intention of settling in just one place once and for all. Everything else could be hugely expensive incl. returning back to the UK, but of course evrything depends on your personal circumstances.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 11:27 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
Following a thread comparing the Eastern provinces, Bristol UK, suggested it might be a good idea to find out how many of you might have 'arrived' at 'A' and then moved to 'B'.

So here's the question - did you arrive in one province and then move somewhere else? If so Why? Do you regret it? Would you like, or do you plan, to move province in the future? Again, the Why?

Many thanks
Arrived in Ontario in 2000 and moved to Quebec in 2004. I don't really see us moving again. Somewhere else in QC is maybe possible, as is Ottawa.

If we came into lots of money, we'd probably emigrate to somewhere warm with architecture and good food.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

My wife and I arrived in Toronto in 89 and moved to Vancover in 91. Didn't really work out in Vancouver for a few reasons (long story). So we moved back to Toronto after about a month in Vancouver. Don't regret making the move as we took 2 months off in beween Toronto and Vancouver. We travelled around the US and even took a short cruise to the Bahamas. At that time we were still young, childless and on the standard 2 weeks of vacation timein Canada. So being able to travel around for 2 months was brilliant.

Have moved around since then. Toronto to the UK. UK to Maryland. We've always had itchy feet and always feel the urge to move but sometimes circumstances can put the brakes on for a while e.g. having 4 kids. We'll certainly move again in the future but we'll wait until all the kids have been through high school.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

J-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond repute

Arrived in Winnipeg MB Dec 2007 moved to Kingston ON May 2009 while we still had funds.... It is expensive to move house here and I dont see myself moving again for sometime.

Regret it? Yes - I regret the whole Canada thing but it is what it is and now it has to be gotten on with!
Old Dec 5th 2011, 2:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Take an inventory of all your possessions and then sit down and ponder do we really need this or that. Getting rid of some of the items will help reduce the weight of the shipment if choosing to move by that method.
What you save on weight could buy items that you need at the other end.
If you have ever travelled the Trans Canada highway have you ever noticed how many U Haul or Ryder trucks are on it pulling vehicles.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

Deva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of light

Many thanks
We arrived in Wolfviile, Nova Scotia in 2005. We struggled to adjust to small town life so moved to Ottawa in 2007 to try Canadian city living. Halifax didn't really appeal to us.

In 2010 we moved back to Wolfville after realising that it actually is a pretty great place to live and much of what disappointed us when we first arrived is common across Canada.

I regret the cost and stress involved with the moves but it has made us better understand what we really need from a place. Would we move again? Yes. If our job situation changed we would probably have no choice.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 3:17 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

I arrived in Ontario with every intention of staying there...within 6 weeks i had moved to Edmonton Alberta..i was offered a position i could not refuse.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 3:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
I arrived in Ontario with every intention of staying there...within 6 weeks i had moved to Edmonton Alberta..i was offered a position i could not refuse.
Better than moving because of being made to move by an offer that you could not refuse
Old Dec 5th 2011, 3:47 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
Did it involve a horse's head in your bed?
Old Dec 5th 2011, 4:22 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Moved to BC, stayed for 6 months and then headed for NS. A move to another Province is deffo something we would be up for at some point in the future.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 11:34 pm
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute

Moved to A (Montreal, QC, Oct 2001) then B (Georgetown, ON, Aug 2007) then on to C (Saskatoon, SK, Sep 2009)
Old Dec 7th 2011, 2:35 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much for these replies - we have always been a bit of an itchy footed couple, but have stayed put here for Primary School. I am really looking forward to NB for Senior School, and we will enjoy living in Fredericton (whether we like it or not!). It's a long way geographically, and my husband really wants to live back in Canada, but we both feel that the great thing is that once we have arrived back there we could always shuffle off elsewhere, after high school, if we want. I wish news articles would shut up about all these bods who travel permanently in Camper vans, my OH would do it in a heartbeat! Not with me though!
Old Dec 10th 2011, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

scuudz has a brilliant futurescuudz has a brilliant futurescuudz has a brilliant futurescuudz has a brilliant futurescuudz has a brilliant futurescuudz has a brilliant futurescuudz has a brilliant future

Arrived in Fredericton, NB in 2005. Loved the place, then had to move to Regina, SK (moved to a different office within the company) in 2009. Took a couple of months to get used to it. Then I loved it. Have a great job, great life and great friends here. Do not plan to move any time soon.
Old Dec 10th 2011, 9:13 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

We live in Alberta and are contemplating moving Province - possibly Ontario, that potential move has been pushed back somewhat as we have found a new home that will hopefully make our lifestyle easier, whatever happens we are planning to have enough money in retirement to be able to become snowbirds for as many years as we possibly can!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.