British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Have you found H&R Block to be up to the job? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/have-you-found-h-r-block-up-job-522051/)

lee58uk Mar 17th 2008 4:26 am

Re: Have you found H&R Block to be up to the job?

I went to H&R block, for my first years tax return, and was told it will take 4 - 6 months to get a cheque, as it is the first tax return. has anyone else been told this???

sans Mar 17th 2008 4:29 am

Originally Posted by lee58uk (Post 6072467)
I went to H&R block, for my first years tax return, and was told it will take 4 - 6 months to get a cheque, as it is the first tax return. has anyone else been told this???

We was told afew wks?? And so far its been 4 wks and waiting.

Sockdogg Mar 17th 2008 12:19 pm

It's our first year here and I was hoping to do an electronic tax return with QuickTax but if its your first year dont you have to file a paper return?

JonboyE Mar 17th 2008 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by zmartin (Post 6072445)
I only worked last year from 10th December and my husband worked for even less time than that. Will we still need to do a tax return for this year?

Yes. You are likely due a refund and you won't get it if you don't file a tax return.

Also I've got investments in the UK that I don't get any income from, does it all need to be declared as this point?

Zoe M. x
If they are worth more than $100,000 then yes, you do have to declare them.

JonboyE Mar 17th 2008 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by lee58uk (Post 6072467)

That is rubbish. It does take longer the first time you file but 1-2 months is normal.

JonboyE Mar 17th 2008 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by Sockdogg (Post 6073719)
It's our first year here and I was hoping to do an electronic tax return with QuickTax but if its your first year dont you have to file a paper return?

Yes, your first return must be on paper unless you use a tax preparer, such as an accountant, who has access to the E-file system.

sans Mar 17th 2008 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by Sockdogg (Post 6073719)

It was our first yr and Liberty Tax had to do it by hand and post it through. Apparently the computer rejected us :lol: