Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Have you found H&R Block to be up to the job?

Have you found H&R Block to be up to the job?

Old Mar 16th 2008, 6:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Have you found H&R Block to be up to the job?

Just asking as this is the first year for our Canadian tax returns and we're probably going to get them to help us file.

Have heard mixed reports but at least they're easily accessible and not hugely expensive.

?
Old Mar 16th 2008, 7:19 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have you found H&R Block to be up to the job?

Originally Posted by Iain Mc
Just asking as this is the first year for our Canadian tax returns and we're probably going to get them to help us file.

Have heard mixed reports but at least they're easily accessible and not hugely expensive.

?
Nope....They messed us about, in the end we used Liberty Tax one visit and we was sorted and they only charged us $53
Old Mar 16th 2008, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold

We did it ourselves with Quicktax. It was really easy, even though it was our first time, and we'd spent 9 months of the year in the UK and only 3 employed in Canada. We had a nice big refund (each) last year. We already submitted our return for this year, and OH got another big refund this year (which has already gone into our bank account). We intended to hire someone our first year, but when we started going through Quicktax (for free) we realised how easy it was.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

Colsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Iain Mc

?
I haven't tried them but someone at work told me that they don't do a very good job and charge a lot for the privilege.

We use Quick Tax every year and it is really easy. After the first year it gives you the option to import all your personal information from last year.

You also get a $10 rebate for every tax return you file with them electronically. So for us the software cost $39.98 and we got $20 back for filing electronically.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 4:46 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

We used Liberty Tax the first year. The second year we used H&R Block (I got a discount as I was working at Sears).

This year we went back to Liberty after getting an adjustment from Revenue Canada due to H&R Block getting it wrong (Got a bill and fine for $53). We also found that we should have claimed extra stuff that wasn't on Hubby's T4 but was on his payslip. H&R Block cost us over $2k for not doing a good job!
Old Mar 16th 2008, 5:01 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

If your tax affairs are simple (e.g. you only have employment income) do it yourself with the help of Quicktax of Ufile or whatever, and ask any questions you have on here.

Otherwise, and definitely if you are self-employed, go to a professional accountant (CA or CGA).

IMO tax preparation services are the worst of both worlds - expensive and likely to get anything other than a simple return wrong.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
If your tax affairs are simple (e.g. you only have employment income) do it yourself with the help of Quicktax of Ufile or whatever, and ask any questions you have on here.

Otherwise, and definitely if you are self-employed, go to a professional accountant (CA or CGA).

IMO tax preparation services are the worst of both worlds - expensive and likely to get anything other than a simple return wrong.
Agreed 100%; Couldn't have said it better myself.

Also all here bear in mind that your return is checked by a nameless, faceless, disinterested, unemotional computer which will charge you more if you screw up but also will adjust your numbers to your benefit if you are so entitled.

It is a myth to think the tax man is out to 'get you'. Not so. I myself have had some goofs corrected and some actually were to my benefit.

Last edited by montreal mike; Mar 16th 2008 at 6:09 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 6:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all, we might give Liberty Tax a call! I don't mind paying (a small amount) for some assistance first time around.

Old Mar 16th 2008, 8:17 pm
rolling uphill

edsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud of

Can't speak for their Canadian operation, but my wife used H&R Block in the US for years. When we got married, she found that the fees, once under $40, had jumped to $350 because she had gone and got married. True enough, her tax situation was more complicated, but over $300!?! Worse still, they got our rebate wrong - we worked out we were due over US$1000 back than the figure they said! We ended up doing ourselves. It's tricky, but possible.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 11:37 pm
Forum Regular

Colsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
.This year we went back to Liberty after getting an adjustment from Revenue Canada due to H&R Block getting it wrong (Got a bill and fine for $53). We also found that we should have claimed extra stuff that wasn't on Hubby's T4 but was on his payslip. H&R Block cost us over $2k for not doing a good job!
Did you go back to H&R Block? All their advertising says that if you end up having to pay more to Revenue Canada for something that they screwed up, they will pay the amount you owe and any fine.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 12:08 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Colsgirl
Did you go back to H&R Block? All their advertising says that if you end up having to pay more to Revenue Canada for something that they screwed up, they will pay the amount you owe and any fine.

haven't done no. Maybe i will when I am feeling better. I thought they just paid the fine/interest for you?
Old Mar 17th 2008, 12:15 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by edsask
Can't speak for their Canadian operation, but my wife used H&R Block in the US for years. When we got married, she found that the fees, once under $40, had jumped to $350 because she had gone and got married. True enough, her tax situation was more complicated, but over $300!?! Worse still, they got our rebate wrong - we worked out we were due over US$1000 back than the figure they said! We ended up doing ourselves. It's tricky, but possible.
We used them in the US to file our taxes and apparently they have made the same mistake every year for the last 4 years. The IRS have sent us a love letter tied to a brick had they not they wouldn't have noticed their mistake
Old Mar 17th 2008, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

We used them last year and they were fine-- as far as we know. Will use them again this year.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 1:01 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
We used them in the US to file our taxes and apparently they have made the same mistake every year for the last 4 years. The IRS have sent us a love letter tied to a brick had they not they wouldn't have noticed their mistake
And you kept using them year after year for four years ??
Old Mar 17th 2008, 4:13 am
BE Enthusiast

zmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nice

I only worked last year from 10th December and my husband worked for even less time than that. Will we still need to do a tax return for this year? Also I've got investments in the UK that I don't get any income from, does it all need to be declared as this point?

Zoe M. x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.