Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Have you ever been asked to repay your EI?

Have you ever been asked to repay your EI?

Old Jan 27th 2016, 6:46 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have you ever been asked to repay your EI?

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Only since I left.

Social Assistance seems a tough nut to crack initially. Rules have historically been very tight. The whole thing seems to be far more demeaning than even National Assistance ever was in the UK.

There's some variation province to province but I believe claiming while living in your own property over a certain value isn't allowed.

Others in the household are involved in the means assessment. This isn't the only province that identifies an incredibly tight 'needs' level for the whole household, has regard to the income and bank accounts of others and then pays whatever might be due (if anything) to the person claiming.

No rent allowance as such, just a contribution if it's a disproportionate amount of the welfare level.

For those that think I've had a low income, take a look at Social Assistance levels.

Case in the paper only last week. Divorced woman in her 50s lives in her own mobile home in a shocking repair state, no electric or water, using an old wreck of a wood stove that's obviously a fire hazzard and sleeps in about three layers of clothes.

She's on the maximum $532 a month. That's what she'd get in a bedsit or in a rooming house.

Imagine a sibling falls into difficulty. You're willing to help out by putting them up but for them to have their own income - as low as it would be - you have to divulge all your financial details, sign stuff to agree they can check your details and after all that, if you're on an ordinary sort of wage, they won't be due anything.

So now you're providing everything for them or not.

For some, the debt might be easier.
Exactly.

After my EI ran out I had zero income for months. Because I had equity in my house (owned) - despite the fact that I couldn't release it as I had only bought the damn thing 4 months earlier - and because my son worked (even though he wasn't earning a lot at the time) I couldn't claim a penny. If it hadn't been for a friendly bank associate who gave me a line of credit, despite not having a job, I would have ended up on the street.

I ended up doing the 'self employment scheme' retraining program just to have some income coming in as despite applying for everything and anything I could possibly do, I couldn't get hired anywhere.

It was a dark and gloomy period, I have to say.
Old Jan 27th 2016, 6:54 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
Oink you sound kinda agitated today buddy. Don't know if have worked full time in Canada as an employee but like neill said workers here are made to pay in to Employment Insurance. So its really not that strange that people want the payback when they need it.
Its insurance not a naffing savings account.
Old Jan 27th 2016, 7:36 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

This is the way forward:

Dutch city plans to pay citizens a ‘basic income’, and Greens say it could work in the UK | World news | The Guardian
Old Jan 27th 2016, 9:19 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Because healthy people, especially younger people with no dependents, shouldn't be claiming welfare but I see it all the time in Canada, its disgraceful. There are plenty of jobs in Canada and yes, it might mean you have to leave the sanctuary of that five mile radius of where you were born.
I had two months of summer before last.

Used my EI to get pissed everyday and watch the World Cup.
Old Jan 27th 2016, 9:22 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
This is the way forward....pay citizens a ‘basic income’...
Always liked that idea.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 1:52 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Are there no prisons?
What about the workhouses, are they still in operation?
The treadmill, the poorhouses, still in full vigour?
Old Jan 28th 2016, 4:16 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
Are there no prisons?
What about the workhouses, are they still in operation?
The treadmill, the poorhouses, still in full vigour?
Making a comeback in the UK by all accounts, just known by different names.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 4:49 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Always liked that idea.
It will have to be introduced in decades to come as AI automation is going to displace many many workers.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 5:02 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
It will have to be introduced in decades to come as AI automation is going to displace many many workers.
They've been saying that since the invention of the flying shuttle shuttle and the Teasmade. But people still make other things and mums and nans aren't obsolete.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 5:55 pm
Yo

They've been saying that since the invention of the flying shuttle shuttle and the Teasmade. But people still make other things and mums and nans aren't obsolete.
They have been saying that for a long time, tis true. They used to say one day you'll be able to hang your TV on the wall like a picture, and until recently, people used to retort, they've been saying that since it was invented.
Old Jan 29th 2016, 8:43 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Its insurance not a naffing savings account.
Then go get a pen and a paper and write to the Canadian Government and tell them they do not how to use the correct terminologies.
Old Jan 29th 2016, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by Edo
Then go get a pen and a paper and write to the Canadian Government and tell them they do not how to use the correct terminologies.
It clearly states that its insurance against being unemployed not something that you should use just because you want a bit of a holiday. These people are scum and any society condones this type of behaviour is also scummy.
Old Jan 30th 2016, 3:50 am
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

It clearly states that its insurance against being unemployed not something that you should use just because you want a bit of a holiday. These people are scum and any society condones this type of behaviour is also scummy.
Maybe you should write in to tell them to follow their own rules?

Employment Insurance Regular Benefits - Service Canada

You may not be entitled to receive EI regular benefits if you:

voluntarily left your employment without just cause;
were dismissed for misconduct; or
are unemployed because you are directly participating in a labour dispute (strike, lockout, or other type of dispute).