Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Have you "Done" Nova Scotia?

Wikiposts

Have you "Done" Nova Scotia?

Old Apr 26th 2010, 4:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have you "Done" Nova Scotia?

Originally Posted by chobert
I'd be interested in knowing why ex-pats chose/choose NS over other areas of Canada?
Cheaper property/easier to obtain PR (NS seems happy to take anyone with a pulse), and location by the sea.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 6:28 am
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chobert
Really useful thread as we're planning our reccie for later this year. I'd be interested in knowing why ex-pats chose/choose NS over other areas of Canada?
Because my OH is originally from N.S. We came back at retirement after 30+ years in Ontario.
While the plane ride from Halifax to UK might be a little shorter there is very little choice of carriers. AC (Mapleflot) all year round and Canadian Affair, in the travel season, are about all there is.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 6:38 am
Forum Regular

sarah_matt is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AndrewUK
Hi guys and girls!!

Heading out for our 7 day recce in May and wanted to know whether it was better to stay in Halifax and drive out to the areas we wanted to visit like Bridgewater, Yarmouth, Bear River, Pugwash, Amherst, Truro etc we intend on travelling right round to see some if not all of the major towns and life there. Or is it better to drive and stay in each Town?

Has anyone done either?

Many Thanks

Andrew
Maybe hire an RV, most campsite are open in May. When we arrived in Halifax, we stayed put in Halifax/Dartmouth, and now we wish we had hired/brought an RV and travelled around at our leisure before buying a house. I know its only a fact finding trip, an RV maybe worth a look into...and the roads and car parks are large enough to cater this form of transport, and if money is tight, there are plenty of WAL-MARTS around where you can sleep over night in the carparks. What I'm trying to say is travel around NS with your suitcase with you.

This is only our opinion, only you can make the choice - Good Luck and enjoy NS however you travel around it.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 7:03 am
Modern Day Revolutionary!

AndrewUK will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by sarah_matt
Maybe hire an RV, most campsite are open in May. When we arrived in Halifax, we stayed put in Halifax/Dartmouth, and now we wish we had hired/brought an RV and travelled around at our leisure before buying a house. I know its only a fact finding trip, an RV maybe worth a look into...and the roads and car parks are large enough to cater this form of transport, and if money is tight, there are plenty of WAL-MARTS around where you can sleep over night in the carparks. What I'm trying to say is travel around NS with your suitcase with you.

This is only our opinion, only you can make the choice - Good Luck and enjoy NS however you travel around it.
Thanks Sarah!

I agree - we have decided to travel around and see as much of the major towns as possible!
Old Apr 26th 2010, 7:20 am
BE Enthusiast

dormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by AndrewUK
Hi guys and girls!!

Heading out for our 7 day recce in May and wanted to know whether it was better to stay in Halifax and drive out to the areas we wanted to visit like Bridgewater, Yarmouth, Bear River, Pugwash, Amherst, Truro etc we intend on travelling right round to see some if not all of the major towns and life there. Or is it better to drive and stay in each Town?

Has anyone done either?

Many Thanks

Andrew
When we did our reccies, we planned our route around hotels in the areas we wanted, and it still felt like all we were doing was driving. Very exhausting, and our overwhelming memory of the trips were highways and trees.

The province is small in Canadian terms but big in UK terms, Halifax to Sydney is 5 hours, Hlaifax yarmouth 3 or 4 depending on which route you take. If you stay in one area and drive to others you will not have time to see anything.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 7:43 am
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarah_matt

I think if you check you will find that, thanks to a certain politically well connected campground operator, overnight parking in Wal-Mart parking lots is prohibited now. It's encouraged by Wal_mart almost everywhere in North America except N.S. RV magazine even declared NS "RV unfriendly". I don't think the ban has been lifted so you better check it out if you intend to park up overnight at Wal-Mart.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 3:10 am
Just Joined

NovaBlues is just really niceNovaBlues is just really niceNovaBlues is just really niceNovaBlues is just really niceNovaBlues is just really niceNovaBlues is just really niceNovaBlues is just really niceNovaBlues is just really nice

I totally agree with everyone who said to travel around.

It's impossible to realise just how tiring driving here can be. Some of the roads are soooo long and quiet with thousands of acres of pine trees on either side and it can get very hypnotic and boring! So if you are going the same highway route back each evening, you'll be fed up before you've moved here.

Besides, there are some amazing places to see and some really good accommodation (see www.novascotia.com ), which you will miss if you have to head back to Halifax every evening.

It's good to spend the night around the place you are looking at living, as some places become totally different after sun down. You can get a true picture of what a place is like.

There are always C@P sites (free internet access sites) in most towns so you can look for and book accommodation as you go and remain free as a bird and change your plans and route as you go.

It's unrealistic to think that you can drive around and see everywhere in a short space of time. We tried

Have fun!
Old Apr 28th 2010, 3:33 am
Bon Vivant

Maybe you should decide what exactly the trip is all about. Is it just to take in the Nova Scotia experience or are you wanting to find out where there are jobs, nice neighborhoods or whatever your interests are. The main one for most prospective settlers is the availability of employment. In that case you might want a different schedule from a touristy one. Not a lot of job prospects in Pugwash for instance. Just a suggestion to help you get the most out of your time here.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 5:08 am
Forum Regular

snowdogs is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't comment on NS but when we did our recce earlier this year in AB we originally planned to stay in different towns & cities to explore more. Two adults two kids for 2 weeks in feb meant we had loads of stuff to pack unpack load and unload.
Also alot of the hotels we googled for a family room seem to be 2 double beds,
again not practical for us.We just found it easier to use 2 bases over the 2 weeks and drive there and back, sometimes just drive through. RV seams like a good option, enjoy your trip
Old Apr 28th 2010, 5:20 am
Just Joined

NovaBlues is just really niceNovaBlues is just really niceNovaBlues is just really niceNovaBlues is just really niceNovaBlues is just really niceNovaBlues is just really niceNovaBlues is just really niceNovaBlues is just really nice

Simon's right, employment hubs do dictate geographical areas, which are "livable", particularly in winter. Unless of course you want to go totally off grid, of which I know many people who do.

Towns with better opportunities for employment will vary vastly depending upon what type of employment you are looking for. Employment here is also very seasonal as tourism is one of the biggest employers, so touristy towns like Mahone Bay are fab in summer and look the epitomy of NS life but in winter the employment opps are depleted.

Oh and if you decide on the Fundy shore...I have a beautiful heritage home in a nice wee town that's likely to be coming up for sale!!
Old Apr 28th 2010, 6:46 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

We reccied NS about 4 years ago. Its a very easy place to drive around. Roads are empty and easy to navigate. Shame the weather ruined it for us. Nice people and nice countryside. What made it nicer was the rental fella gave us a free upgrade from a compact to this