Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Have PR But Staying In Scotland

Have PR But Staying In Scotland

Old Feb 2nd 2009, 8:43 am
Banned

blackcomb1 is a jewel in the roughblackcomb1 is a jewel in the roughblackcomb1 is a jewel in the roughblackcomb1 is a jewel in the roughblackcomb1 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Have PR But Staying In Scotland

Originally Posted by mclauchlan35
I think your post is hypocritical you have also "generalized with a bad attitude".
Oh well, doesn't bother me so much what you think. We are all entitled to our own opinions after all, even if your view on my post was inaccurate.

I am stating the facts from my own evidence having lived in Scotland for 4 yrs, and in Canada for almost 2 yrs now and where intend to remain. And I see you are from Scotland. Wouldn't be siding with the OP for that reason now would you? That would be biased.

I also did love the West coast of Scotland and I like Edinburgh, especially their accent. It is not the whole of Scotland I found unfriendly and rude, more a minority, but my point is you get that everywhere, not just in Canada, Scotland, Wales, England, you get it everywhere. And the part I stated about Glasgow and Dundee is all true, as you would full well know.
Unfortunately some cities in England are not so much better, London is one of the most dangerous cities to live in for the long term. Nice to visit but always nice to get out again. Crime in the UK is not so well controlled either is it?, never mind the statement about it not being well controlled here in Canada.

Canada is wonderful in so many many ways. Having lived in and traveled to other parts of the world, I can honestly say no where quite beats living here for me, personally speaking of course.

Last edited by blackcomb1; Feb 2nd 2009 at 8:52 am.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 9:16 am
mclauchlan35

mclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by blackcomb1
Oh well, doesn't bother me so much what you think. We are all entitled to our own opinions after all, even if your view on my post was inaccurate.

I am stating the facts from my own evidence having lived in Scotland for 4 yrs, and in Canada for almost 2 yrs now and where intend to remain. And I see you are from Scotland. Wouldn't be siding with the OP for that reason now would you? That would be biased.

I also did love the West coast of Scotland and I like Edinburgh, especially their accent. It is not the whole of Scotland I found unfriendly and rude, more a minority, but my point is you get that everywhere, not just in Canada, Scotland, Wales, England, you get it everywhere. And the part I stated about Glasgow and Dundee is all true, as you would full well know.
Unfortunately some cities in England are not so much better, London is one of the most dangerous cities to live in for the long term. Nice to visit but always nice to get out again. Crime in the UK is not so well controlled either is it?, never mind the statement about it not being well controlled here in Canada.

Canada is wonderful in so many many ways. Having lived in and traveled to other parts of the world, I can honestly say no where quite beats living here for me, personally speaking of course.
There is no denying that Glasgow and Dundee etc have crime problems, and neither is it untrue that "SOME" Scots are rude. It is also unacceptable that someone should tell you to go back to England as a UK citizen it is your right to live peacefully wherever you want in the UK.

However I'm afraid if you are going to give it "if it wasn't for the English" it gives a I'm better than you attitude that comes across as very arrogant.

IMO
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

calgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant future

I will finally be in Canada by the 3rd week in March ,after staying out for 3 yrs out of the 5yrs. Can I go on holiday?
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 10:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by calgarylady
I will finally be in Canada by the 3rd week in March ,after staying out for 3 yrs out of the 5yrs. Can I go on holiday?
The answer is probably no if you've cut it that fine. You need to make sure you meet your residency requirement if you don't want to loose your PR status - and that means being physically present in Canada for 1072 days out of every 5 years.

Any time out of Canada (i.e. on holiday back to the UK or even popping over the border to the US) will NOT count towards that requirement.

Be very careful and calculate exactly how many days you've spent in Canada and whether you will be able to leave Canada at all once you are there.

Hope that helps, good luck.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

audreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to all

Hi there, I have been a PR in Ontario GTA since July 07 with my Canadian husband. We have recently decided to return to UK and our reasons for going back to UK echo some of the reasons listed on your original post. I think you are v. sensible to have come to this conclusion before leaving Scotland. I think if you have good jobs in UK then you will be better off there, unless you have good jobs already lined up in Canada and know that your income is the same/better. We came on the mis-conception that I would be able to get a job at a similar level to my previous job in England (university administrator) but I have failed to achieve the goal of finding employment, much to my husbands surprise. I know that I could start at the beginning again, work v. part-time/volunteer in an unrelated area and then build my way up over a long period of time, but this was not really the plan, and we know we would be better off in UK even with current recession. Fortunately my husband has a job related to UK so we are surviving but we are being hit hard by the exchange rates! With hindsight, and the knowledge you have aquired, we wouldn't have come - although in our case we really had to test the waters of living in Canada due to my husbands nationality. He actually was happier in UK also as he loves to travel and we feel very isolated here and do not have the money to travel to the US to explore. Canada is a wonderful place and the people are friendly, and I will definitely visit in the future, but in terms of lifestyle/quality of life even with all the Uk's issues we will be better off there. This is always a very subjective decision as I know a lot of people would sacrifice elements in their life (job situation) to live in this environment, and it really depends if you are suited to it overall. Plus winters in Ontario are insanely harsh if you are from UK..that pretty much helped our decision AND my husband is Canadian. Good luck with the future I don't think you will regret staying, as you can always enjoy Canada for holidays.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

calgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant future

Thanks christmasoompa for the reality check. I will stick it out once I take up recidence in Calgary and truely be CALGARYLADY
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

leepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to behold

Hi Tigershark and also Chutley....

Sounds like you have both made thoughtful and sensible decisions for your families....I certainly wouldn't encourage anyone to disrupt their lives unless they can see it would improve things OR unless they really just want to experience a different place....

I will say that I completely disagree with both of your assements of Canada...I do think that one of the jobs of an immigrant (if they want to be successful) is to open themselves up to the country they are going to...Therefore I fail to see why not understanding the British sense of humour is such an issue....Canada is not Britain - that is why many of us moved here!!! As far as all the points you both raise go, you are both obviously entitled to them BUT you write them as though they are statements of fact rather than simply your opinion....I have spent time in LA as well as the Fraser Valley/Vancouver and Calgary etc...I can assure you that the Fraser Valley is nothing like parts of LA....!!!

As I have said, you are both fully entitled to your opinions and I think you have come to thought out and sensible decisions.....Canada has problems. I think they pale beside the UK's but again that is just my opinion.....

Good luck with everything
L
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 6:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
if you don't want to loose your PR status - and that means being physically present in Canada for 1072 days out of every 5 years.
I thought it was seven hundred and something days to retain PR status. And the 1072 days bit refers to qualifying for citizenship?? Either way- to calgarylady, I think you can forget holidays for a year or two
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 6:07 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by leepee
Hi Tigershark and also Chutley....

Sounds like you have both made thoughtful and sensible decisions for your families....I certainly wouldn't encourage anyone to disrupt their lives unless they can see it would improve things OR unless they really just want to experience a different place....

I will say that I completely disagree with both of your assements of Canada...I do think that one of the jobs of an immigrant (if they want to be successful) is to open themselves up to the country they are going to...Therefore I fail to see why not understanding the British sense of humour is such an issue....Canada is not Britain - that is why many of us moved here!!! As far as all the points you both raise go, you are both obviously entitled to them BUT you write them as though they are statements of fact rather than simply your opinion....I have spent time in LA as well as the Fraser Valley/Vancouver and Calgary etc...I can assure you that the Fraser Valley is nothing like parts of LA....!!!

As I have said, you are both fully entitled to your opinions and I think you have come to thought out and sensible decisions.....Canada has problems. I think they pale beside the UK's but again that is just my opinion.....

Good luck with everything
L
Couldn't resist one shot at the OP. Homicide rate Scotland 2.33 per 100/k (2nd highest in Western Europe) BC 2.01 per 100/k LA 13.8 per 100/k.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

what do you mean if it wasnt for the english scotland wouldnt be as rich???
that makes you sound like a proper little englander.,or as they called them in dumfries and galloway ;white settlers.
they come in take over the community councils and treat the locals like natives.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 7:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

dexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dexdaw
We landed in March this year and have just put an offer in on a house - in Cornwall!!!
As you say, 3 years was a long time to wait.
strange country we live in. we offer 27K more than the asking price and then get gazumped! recession, what recession!
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 7:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
I thought it was seven hundred and something days to retain PR status. And the 1072 days bit refers to qualifying for citizenship?? Either way- to calgarylady, I think you can forget holidays for a year or two
Ooops, sorry - my mistake! You're completely right Ann, apologies to Calgarylady for confusing things, I was thinking of citizen requirements. For PR it's 730 days.........http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Catego...cy_Obligations

Old Feb 2nd 2009, 7:26 pm
Banned

blackcomb1 is a jewel in the roughblackcomb1 is a jewel in the roughblackcomb1 is a jewel in the roughblackcomb1 is a jewel in the roughblackcomb1 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by jamesmc
what do you mean if it wasnt for the english scotland wouldnt be as rich???
that makes you sound like a proper little englander.,or as they called them in dumfries and galloway ;white settlers.
they come in take over the community councils and treat the locals like natives.

Aha ha ha! That joke was hilarious. Thanks for making me laugh
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

whatever..
its people like you that make me appreciate living in a country as openminded as canada'with none of the little englander mentality.
reply if you want but you are on my ignore list.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blackcomb1
Personally I find that no different to some I met from Scotland when I lived and worked up there, who told me to go back to England as I am English. Nice! Except if it was not for the English being up there in the first place the Scots would have had no wealth or not as much. At least the Canadians are not so rude as that.
With an attitude like that, I'm not surprised you were told to go back to England!
And for the record, I'm not Scottish.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.