Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Have PR But Staying In Scotland

Have PR But Staying In Scotland

Old Feb 1st 2009, 12:51 pm
Just Joined

TigerShark is just really niceTigerShark is just really niceTigerShark is just really niceTigerShark is just really niceTigerShark is just really niceTigerShark is just really niceTigerShark is just really niceTigerShark is just really nice
Default Have PR But Staying In Scotland

Hi,

I posted on here a couple of years ago to highlight a particular situation that we found ourselves in as a family, hoping that others in a similar position would understand and be able to offer some advice to us. I was really surprised at the venom of the response postings from certain individuals on this forum. We received some fantastic advice from people who found themselves in a similar situation as us, but surprisingly this advice was given to us by PM’s to avoid any vitriolic, and supercilious comments being directed at them on the general forum.

Our thanks to all advice received and best wishes to you all on the various paths you have chosen.

Our situation in brief is as follows. We started the immigration ball rolling in the hope of improving our standard of living and providing our kids with a better and healthier environment to grow up in. During the period of our application process my professional circumstances improved dramatically and by the time we gained our PR we were beginning to question whether we should indeed immigrate. However still being undecided we made the decision to land and then come back to Scotland to see how we felt. Basically we were trying to buy some time to come to a decision. Our 3 years out of 5 to retain our PR status ends in May this year, and having made one final reccie trip in November last year we have finally made the decision to stay in Scotland.

Our decision was based on the following:

• Better professional prospects in Scotland.

• Good family, friend’s network (which we now appreciate much better than before).

• Weak Pound V’s Canadian Dollar for selling/renting property.

• Grossly over priced housing in lower Fraser Valley region.

• Drugs, gangs and drive by shootings reminiscent to the Los Angeles slum areas.

• Criminal elements so retarded that they conduct their vendettas against one another in the domain of the general population hence putting innocent families at risk.

• BC's liberal justice system’s softly, softly, stance on violent crime which remains completely inadequate in dealing with the upsurge in criminal gangs who are affecting the lives of ordinary individuals in the area.

• A marked increase in violent school bullying compared to five years ago when it was almost unheard off.

• Canadians coming across as warm and friendly, but in a detached standoffish kind of way, if that makes any sense. I’ve never felt like I’ve ever really ‘connected’ with anyone on a personal level, despite visiting, living and working in the country on several occasions. They also have absolutely no understanding of the British sense of humour!

• UK feels more vibrant and ‘grown up’ by comparison.

• Despite all the shit that we read in the press, I think folks in general have more fun in the UK with its faster paced lifestyle.

• Our European connection making for much more diverse opportunities for close proximity travelling.

Although it might not seem like it, this is not me ragging the shit out of Canada. We absolutely adore the country and its people. This is just one families experience with this whole should we, shouldn’t we, immigration adventure. I have posted this in the hope that others will benefit from our experience and the decision we have come to. We have spent a lot of money and invested a lot of mental energy on this over the last several years, and it has been such a stressful situation to be in for any couple. Life is full of opportunities but it is recognising the ones that will enhance our experience for our short time in this world that matter. The one thing we can take from our own experience is that you have to evaluate what you have to make a decision on whether to try and find something better. By evaluating our own lives we realised that we are actually very happy living on a small island on the west coast of Scotland, and would be hard pushed to improve on what we already had.

I sincerely hope that anyone reading this who is in a similar situation as us, can understand why we have made the choice we have. Maybe it will help them making a similar choice if they find themselves in the same position.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have PR But Staying In Scotland

Very interesting reading it sounds like you and your family have made the right choice.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

Rich-Jo is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for sharing your experience. The SW immigration process is a long one. Circumstances, people, attitudes do change over that period. It is also a mental roll-a-coaster...so many ups and downs.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 2:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Good post. I think a lot of people, once they start on the whole application process, don't appreciate that you can actually get off the roller-coaster along the way. It's OK to change your mind.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

Tommyboy17 has a brilliant futureTommyboy17 has a brilliant futureTommyboy17 has a brilliant futureTommyboy17 has a brilliant futureTommyboy17 has a brilliant futureTommyboy17 has a brilliant future

All the best to you mate. Sometimes people wrongly get caught up in a argument about which country is better, when you are dealing Scotland and Canada and all the amazing things they can both offer a person/family its pointless. The bottom line is really which is better for me/us.

Circumstances change and with that so does the ability of a country to meet your wants and needs. I'm in Canada not because I dont like Scotland, I still love it, but because oppertunity came a knocking and it suited us to make the move.

When so much time and energy has been placed moving towards a goal it takes a lot to step back and make a tough call.

If you ever fancy a wee trip back to Canada and havent tried it before New Scotland on the East coast is well worth a visit!
Old Feb 1st 2009, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

rach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud of

A fair post, circumstances changed over the years.

My nana used to live in Rothsay, and if I had a good job over there, I too would be tempted to live there rather than anywhere else. Beautiful, beautiful, gentle place to live.

Good luck to you and yours!
Old Feb 1st 2009, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear your feedback on you previous experience on the site, I agree with many of your points on your list. If it wasn't for the children I wouldn't live in the middle of the prairies that's for sure lol! In fact, I think if it were a matter of me moving back to the UK I would quite like a small Scottish Island something we seriously considered last year in fact! So I hope you guys have many more years of enjoying your lifestyle.

As Joni Mitchell once sang, "You don't know what you got til it's gone!" It's good that you didn't have to get to that point

Good luck peeps!
Mrs M x
Old Feb 1st 2009, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

I hope it all works out for you and I can understand why you are happy living where you are. Unfortunately there are not enough 'braw' islands for us all. When you compare where you are currently living I think alot of people would be happy to stay there as well!
Old Feb 1st 2009, 5:32 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on making the decision that is right for you and your family. So many people will go ahead with their immigration just so they don't get the 'See I knew you would never go' from so called friends.

It is a long process and many things do change. I wish you all the best in your new healthy lives in Scotland - it must be a relief to have made the final decision actually.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 6:02 pm

seaham gal is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Have PR But Staying In Scotland

Originally Posted by TigerShark
Hi,

I posted on here a couple of years ago to highlight a particular situation that we found ourselves in as a family, hoping that others in a similar position would understand and be able to offer some advice to us. I was really surprised at the venom of the response postings from certain individuals on this forum. We received some fantastic advice from people who found themselves in a similar situation as us, but surprisingly this advice was given to us by PM’s to avoid any vitriolic, and supercilious comments being directed at them on the general forum.

Our thanks to all advice received and best wishes to you all on the various paths you have chosen.

Our situation in brief is as follows. We started the immigration ball rolling in the hope of improving our standard of living and providing our kids with a better and healthier environment to grow up in. During the period of our application process my professional circumstances improved dramatically and by the time we gained our PR we were beginning to question whether we should indeed immigrate. However still being undecided we made the decision to land and then come back to Scotland to see how we felt. Basically we were trying to buy some time to come to a decision. Our 3 years out of 5 to retain our PR status ends in May this year, and having made one final reccie trip in November last year we have finally made the decision to stay in Scotland.

• Good family, friend’s network (which we now appreciate much better than before).

• Drugs, gangs and drive by shootings reminiscent to the Los Angeles slum areas.

• Criminal elements so retarded that they conduct their vendettas against one another in the domain of the general population hence putting innocent families at risk.

• BC's liberal justice system’s softly, softly, stance on violent crime which remains completely inadequate in dealing with the upsurge in criminal gangs who are affecting the lives of ordinary individuals in the area.

• A marked increase in violent school bullying compared to five years ago when it was almost unheard off.

• Canadians coming across as warm and friendly, but in a detached standoffish kind of way, if that makes any sense. I’ve never felt like I’ve ever really ‘connected’ with anyone on a personal level, despite visiting, living and working in the country on several occasions. They also have absolutely no understanding of the British sense of humour!

• Despite all the shit that we read in the press, I think folks in general have more fun in the UK with its faster paced lifestyle.

• Our European connection making for much more diverse opportunities for close proximity travelling.

Although it might not seem like it, this is not me ragging the shit out of Canada. We absolutely adore the country and its people. This is just one families experience with this whole should we, shouldn’t we, immigration adventure. I have posted this in the hope that others will benefit from our experience and the decision we have come to. We have spent a lot of money and invested a lot of mental energy on this over the last several years, and it has been such a stressful situation to be in for any couple. Life is full of opportunities but it is recognising the ones that will enhance our experience for our short time in this world that matter. The one thing we can take from our own experience is that you have to evaluate what you have to make a decision on whether to try and find something better. By evaluating our own lives we realised that we are actually very happy living on a small island on the west coast of Scotland, and would be hard pushed to improve on what we already had.

I sincerely hope that anyone reading this who is in a similar situation as us, can understand why we have made the choice we have. Maybe it will help them making a similar choice if they find themselves in the same position.
Agree with every word - and we live in the Lower Mainland! Yes things have changed since we did out reccies - as they have elsewhere to.

You seem to have researched and thought out well your reasons very well and I'm sure others will learn from your conclusions.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 6:07 pm
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Our situation in brief is as follows. We started the immigration ball rolling in the hope of improving our standard of living and providing our kids with a better and healthier environment to grow up in. During the period of our application process my professional circumstances improved dramatically and by the time we gained our PR we were beginning to question whether we should indeed immigrate.
Glad to hear you're at peace with your decision. If I could do the work I do in the north or west of Scotland I'm not sure I would have made the move either!

For those of us who don't loathe where we came from it can be a difficult decision. We came "this close" to staying in Belfast and withdrawing our application. When we actually got PR it was then another very difficult decision whether or not to stay.

We did move and it has so far worked out very well but we were took advantage of some lucky breaks and made a few of our own. In the current economic climate I don't think we'd have given up two good jobs to move to Canada with nothing lined up. Vancouver (and Abbotsford and Victoria and Kelowna...) recently came out very badly in a global affordability survey
http://www.financialpost.com/story.html?id=1226971
and it is a tough place to live if you are poor.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 6:31 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I am really glad for you if you have made the decision and are firm that it's the right choice for you.

I'm sorry you felt you were snarled at in earlier posts, so I had a look back, and really (having seen how nasty people CAN be on this forum) I don't think you were that badly treated. I was also surprised to see that a week ago you were still apparently firm in your decision to come.

Anyhoo, I stand by my earlier reply, that living where you are, with the lifestyle you have, and earning a decent salary, it's probably the best decision for you. You will presumably still have the time and funds to holiday over here.

You will most likely still face seeing the kids move away from the island when they grow up and want to spread their wings .... but that COULD happen wherever you are ....

So good luck with it, ... try not to dwell on what if's and if only's, ... and don't let others beat up on you because they desperately want to come and cannot for whatever reasons. It's your decision, your life, so do what feels best for you and yours.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 6:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Washington, the original one, for now. The future - who knows?
Wearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

Good post and good luck for the future.

I have also been promoted twice since my initial application (how dare you get promoted when you are waiting to move to Canada!!!!) doubled my wages and moved house. Five months ago her indoors would have been happy for a refund of the fees, but we have decided to go for it in the end.

It should work out OK, but it could go wrong, but merde happens!
Old Feb 1st 2009, 8:55 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Best of luck, I agree with all of your points. I should add that violent bullying has always been a problem here, the same as anywhere else. The school district PR machine just does a very good job of covering it up.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 9:08 pm
passport photo

Hammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud of

Thanks for the honesty of your post, very much appreciated.

We will also be using the 3 year period to make at least 2 or 3 recce trips to come to an informed conclusion on Scotland v's Canada (probably Van Island).

Good luck for the future and enjoy the west coast

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.