Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Have the English forgotten how to be English?

Have the English forgotten how to be English?

Old Jun 1st 2005, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

pjlfc will become famous soon enoughpjlfc will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Have the English forgotten how to be English?

Tony Blair and his politically correct world have tied us English down!!
We can celebrate St Patricks day but we can't celebrate St Georges Day!it just doesn't figure!

My 6 year old Daughter could tell me all about Chinese New Year(which is great,because my StepDad is Chinese)but they weren't allowed to celebrate St Georges Day!!What the f@#k!!!!!.We couldn't fly English flags on our Fire Appliances last year for the 2004 European Football Championships in case it upset the Irish/Scottish/Welsh!!

I mean come on!!!
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 4:08 am

g_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by seacreature
It strikes me how un-English, England is nowadays.
Once upon a time, people were friendly, polite and courteous. In fact the English were well known for their respectibility and politeness. What the hell went wrong?
What went wrong, creature old boy, is that, unlike Canada, we welcomed with open arms our enemies who we then bend over backwards to accommodate. This and political correctness has destroyed England leaving decent, honest people no choice but to put up and shut up, or leave.

The fact that there's so many people on here, fleeing to Canada, some of whom claim to love the country despite never having been, is testimony to discontent in England. The fact that, apart from your goodself, people NEVER refer to England, always UK, is a sign of the impact.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 2:18 pm
Nova Scotian

BH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant future

I've been in Nova Scotia 2 months. In that short time I believe the fundamental difference can be described in one instance:

My eight year old daughter, who was born, raised and school in southern England all her life, can already recite the Canadian national anthem off- by- heart and actually enjoys singing it.

When I asked here what the English national anthem was she had no idea but made a guess of Oh England.....

My question:

Why can every other country have national pride?? (and from experience here...its refreshing, necessary and a pleasure to be a part of)

My solution:

Last one out turn out the lights.
Old Jun 6th 2005, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold

Kind of agree seacreature, but the thing is the Brits as a whole got it wrong again, bit like when we tried to solve so many problems in the past (Yugoslavia, Kashmir, the Cosaks????).

The things is, when the empire came to an end and we stared mass immigrations we realised being ignorant naive racists just wasn't cricket to the new fellows. We were told that out of the sixties marches ect came tolerance and a new concept of equality, man or woman; black, brown, pink and shade; whatever religion; whatever background, we were all equal. This concept has been taken by the PC lot and with great vigour belted it over our heads until it hurt.

The thing is the concept is wrong, always has been. We now have a society who officially thinks everyone is the same, all grey matter. But we are not the same. The concept should have been celebration of diversity and equal status, with education to all of how all of us live our lives.
Old Jun 6th 2005, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Patsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by cov-canuck
Hear hear. I worked electrical retail for a year while at uni in Coventry, and the shocked looks I got from customers when I actually made conversation with them! Funny though...I talked to them while processing them at the till, so it didn't take any longer than if I was silent, but that customer would be happy, the ones in the queue behind would be grumbling about the fact that I was making small-talk. Then they'd get to the head of the queue and want to tell me their life story, while the people behind them grumbled! It doesn't cost anything or use any effort to say "good morning", or "did you manage to find everything ok?", or even "what's the weather like outside? Is it still raining?"...something to connect on a personal level, yet 99% of customer-facing staff in the UK don't do it.

It did make me laugh when we took my in-laws into stores in South Carolina...Southern hospitality and all that. The startled looks when a person standing near the door said good morning to them immediately on entering a store! Wouldn't happen in England.
Ahhhh but theyre trying......just dont seem to get it right tho...who's training sainsburys staff at the moment? looks like they've been told to:-
1.eyeball the customer until u get their attention so you can ask them how they are
2.use their name 100 times...
3.ask them lots of personal questions like "what are u doing today?"
4.ask "Doing anything nice today?
all thru gritted teeth and a false smile.
Sometimes people dont feel like an endless conversation when theyve just popped in for a loaf, but a friendly hello, a smile and even a cheesy "have a nice day"....never fails!
Old Jun 15th 2005, 11:30 am
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizwil98
I think it all depends on the person. The last time I was in England, I caught the bus in Maidstone and the lady standing next to me chatted about how hot it was and how she only lived in Tovil and would usually walk - except for the heat etc. etc. I very seldom get chatting to people on the bus here.

I think she was a chatty person and so am I - but I don't like to start the chat in case the other person isn't chatty. Silly me!!
Just had to comment on your post - I grew up in Maidstone, in fact I still have family living there! I still miss a lot about it - mostly the river, and Mote Park, and the surrounding countryside. Small world .....
Old Jun 15th 2005, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

deeana is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Rich_007

Can honestly say we were generally impressed with the politeness and helpfulness of Canadian store assistants, not perfect I'm sure, but better. They do seem to either train retail staff or at least hire people with communications skills. Not teen drone mute robots.

Rich
Hmmm. I ran a department in Office Depot in Calgary for several years. I had to train staff, and was of course trained too. In our staffroom we had a huge poster on the wall which said, "OUR CUSTOMERS ARE EVERYTHING. WITHOUT THEM WE ARE NOTHING."

I wasn't comfortable with that attitude on the part of the management. We were forced to be the customer's whipping boy, to take any abuse they threw at us, even down to standing there and being yelled at unfairly.

That was where the phone greetings all started. You know. "Good afternoon, Office Depot, Business Services Department, this is Jane Doe speaking, how may I assist you?"

I quit in the end. This is what happened. A customer came in to buy a typewriter ribbon. (Yes it's ten years ago!) We didn't stock the one she wanted, and she didn't really know the model of the machine. She phoned our head office to complain about me, because I had told her, very politely, that we didn't stock what she was looking for. My boss called to say that I shouldn't have said that. I should have taken the details, gone downtown, found the ribbon, bought it and personally delivered it to her office. I said, "Are you serious?" and he said "Yes, of course I am. You know our policy is that the customer is everything." So I said, "Okay, in that case I quit."

Can't say I ever regretted it!!

Anyhow, my point is, that the nice staff are seething underneath. Rightfully so.

I need a

Deeana!
Old Jun 15th 2005, 5:36 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deeana
My boss called to say that I shouldn't have said that. I should have taken the details, gone downtown, found the ribbon, bought it and personally delivered it to her office. I said, "Are you serious?" and he said "Yes, of course I am. You know our policy is that the customer is everything." So I said, "Okay, in that case I quit."
If the pay level and the tip had been the size of a concierge's, I might have considered it. If any business wants to offer that level of service, fine.... but they have to make it very clear up front and compensate the employees accordingly.

Personally I can't see OD (such an appropriate name, I OD on big-box stores) willing to pimp for such personal service.
Old Jun 15th 2005, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

deeana is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by snowbunny
If the pay level and the tip had been the size of a concierge's, I might have considered it. If any business wants to offer that level of service, fine.... but they have to make it very clear up front and compensate the employees accordingly.

Personally I can't see OD (such an appropriate name, I OD on big-box stores) willing to pimp for such personal service.

I was on the princessly sum of $10 an hour for that job, and often worked major overtime, but never received a dime for it because I was so-called management!!! I quit because I truly felt I was being prostituted by the company, and that my very soul was in danger!! Sounds extreme, I know, but I'm a sensitive flower!

OTOH, I had a fantabulous job some years later for the Calgary Waterworks, where I couldn't have been treated better. Loved it. Made up for all the other c**p.

Deeana
Old Jun 15th 2005, 6:11 pm
Just Joined

usacanada is an unknown quantity at this point

What you mean you cant fly an english flag because it might upset people, did people complain or is it the law, if you want to fly an english falg in england then go ahead......

Originally Posted by pjlfc
Tony Blair and his politically correct world have tied us English down!!
We can celebrate St Patricks day but we can't celebrate St Georges Day!it just doesn't figure!

My 6 year old Daughter could tell me all about Chinese New Year(which is great,because my StepDad is Chinese)but they weren't allowed to celebrate St Georges Day!!What the f@#k!!!!!.We couldn't fly English flags on our Fire Appliances last year for the 2004 European Football Championships in case it upset the Irish/Scottish/Welsh!!

I mean come on!!!
Old Jun 15th 2005, 6:45 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by usacanada
What you mean you cant fly an english flag because it might upset people, did people complain or is it the law, if you want to fly an english falg in england then go ahead......
There was a big to-do over flying large ones on St George's Day, etc even though it's routine to fly the Irish flag for St Paddy's. And for pubs to be granted permission to stay open late on St Paddy's but not St George's. Google ought to turn up a fair few complaints about this issue.