Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Has there been a worse time to emmigrate?

Has there been a worse time to emmigrate?

Old May 4th 2010, 3:01 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has there been a worse time to emmigrate?

Originally Posted by rubberduckofdeath
My 2p/2c:

I'm mid-late twenties, as is my fiancee. I own a joint share in a house which I'll be parting with early next year regardless of whether we're off to Canada or not as my friends and I who I bought it with have decided it's time to sell and do our own things. We want to start a family in the future and I'd prefer to do that in Canada. We're not worried about going a few rungs down the ladder and climbing back up again as we're still young. We don't have stacks of savings and equity but believe that longterm, Canada's a better shot for us and what we want from life than the UK. At this stage in our lives, it's definitely worth the (financial) risk.

All the best to you guys, whatever happens
I emigrated at your age (28) with no assets which I think made it easier. I'm really at people leaving their well-established lives in the UK. Not in a bad way, just, I know how long it's taken us to establish ourselves and the thought of starting all over again, in a new country, only older...you lot are brave!
Old May 5th 2010, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

RubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond repute

I emigrated from the UK to Vancouver last September and I can assure you , I am no spring chicken and I have not landed with a lot of cash and assets because of the housing crash. I am a single parent with an 18 year old and we are very happy here. Fortunately my skills are in demand and three months after arriving I landed a permanent job with a very good school district. I believe in the good old saying 'Where there's a will, there's a way'. If this is where you want to be then - Feel the fear and do it.

Ruby
Old May 5th 2010, 4:07 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RubyRose
I emigrated from the UK to Vancouver last September and I can assure you , I am no spring chicken and I have not landed with a lot of cash and assets because of the housing crash. I am a single parent with an 18 year old and we are very happy here. Fortunately my skills are in demand and three months after arriving I landed a permanent job with a very good school district. I believe in the good old saying 'Where there's a will, there's a way'. If this is where you want to be then - Feel the fear and do it.

Ruby
I always thought it went, 'Where there's a will, there's a relative'.
Old May 5th 2010, 7:32 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I'm enjoying the cliche's in this thread. Keep 'em coming
Old May 5th 2010, 5:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

RubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I always thought it went, 'Where there's a will, there's a relative'.
Love it - find me a relative with a will -Please.
Old May 10th 2010, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

snowbabe24 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by gaz77
hi we have just had our medicals after 3years of waiting and we are having the twitches. We are in our 40's with 2 young kids aged 7 & 9 and all in all we do have a fairly good standard of living. we have two houses and a small business so we could come to canada with some cash but our problem is my wife is a primary school teacher here in the uk and they don't need teachers in canada so that is our dilema .I have two friends that are canadian and are willing to give me a job when we land .We dont want to get rich we just want a better quaity of life for our kids .If my wife gives up her job here she will not get a job that easy as positions are hard to come by, and she is expensive compared with someone straight out of college.We we feel like we are giving up everthing for the unknown.We feel this is our only chance to do it as we would not qualify under the new system, and we dont want in five years to say "what if!!".I want the best future for my children. Any advice, comments or thoughts are welcome.
Hi gaz77, like your wife I'm also in education - FE to be exact and yes I'm leaving a well paid job with unbelievable holidays for the unknown in Canada, however due to the ecomomic climate my husband and I have re-thought our emigation process. Some people may think our plan is crazy but this is our plan and best for us - I'm putting the job on hold for a year with an absence of leave, my husband's mother will look after his business and keep it ticking over for 1year and we're not selling our house.....yet. After 1year we hope that the ecomomy and the pound will be stronger and we hope to realise our dream of moving to Canada permanently - but if the dream isn't Canada we have the option of coming back to the UK and picking up where we left off. To be honest I hope and pray we're just delaying the process and we will be in Canada permanently but the way the money is we're just not prepared to loose 25% of what we have worked so hard for - it could be the difference of owning our dream home outright or having a mortgage. Like you, the desire is a better life and if it means "trying before we buy" then so be it - we're just keeping the options open. Hope I haven't confused you more
Old May 10th 2010, 8:06 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by el_richo
I'm enjoying the cliche's in this thread. Keep 'em coming
Has there been a rollercoaster ride of emotions yet?
Old May 10th 2010, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

Tiger_Quimpo will become famous soon enoughTiger_Quimpo will become famous soon enough

I was trying to remember the anecdote I heard last week on Radio 2's 'thought for the day'. I liked its sentiment, but just couldn't remember it, until now.

It might fit under the cliche camp too. You decide.

Anyway, the guy said that FEAR was natural and healthy.
He gave an acronym for fear that gave a positive slant

- Face Everything And Recover.

Old May 10th 2010, 8:25 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbabe24
Hi gaz77, like your wife I'm also in education - FE to be exact and yes I'm leaving a well paid job with unbelievable holidays for the unknown in Canada, however due to the ecomomic climate my husband and I have re-thought our emigation process.
Then you're completely mad. Well paid jobs in FE are hard to find in the first place and now you're considering chucking it all away just so you can be cold, eat fast food and drive a pick up truck?
Old May 10th 2010, 9:37 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Then you're completely mad. Well paid jobs in FE are hard to find in the first place and now you're considering chucking it all away just so you can be cold, eat fast food and drive a pick up truck?
So that's why you're always so miserable? What make/size truck you got, cowboy?
Old May 10th 2010, 10:04 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tiger_Quimpo
I was trying to remember the anecdote I heard last week on Radio 2's 'thought for the day'. I liked its sentiment, but just couldn't remember it, until now.

It might fit under the cliche camp too. You decide.

Anyway, the guy said that FEAR was natural and healthy.
He gave an acronym for fear that gave a positive slant

- Face Everything And Recover.

Earlier you said that you're 43 years old? It worries me that in every one of your posts there's no evidence of sentient thought, but merely a string of platitudes unworthy of a Christmas Cracker.
Old May 11th 2010, 12:26 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Earlier you said that you're 43 years old? It worries me that in every one of your posts there's no evidence of sentient thought, but merely a string of platitudes unworthy of a Christmas Cracker.
And you're surprised why ?
Old May 11th 2010, 12:28 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tiger_Quimpo
I was trying to remember the anecdote I heard last week on Radio 2's 'thought for the day'. I liked its sentiment, but just couldn't remember it, until now.:
Radio two in the morning is Chris Evans - Terry Wogan for the twentytens. If you are listening to thought for the day, then presumably you are listening to the Today programme on R4. It's difficult to confuse Chris Evans and John Humphrys I'dve thought.
Old May 11th 2010, 12:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
It also stands for **** Everything And Run
Old May 11th 2010, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

gaz77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Has there been a rollercoaster ride of emotions yet?
every day !today i have my lets go for it head on.yesterday i did'nt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.