Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Has there been a worse time to emmigrate?

Has there been a worse time to emmigrate?

Old May 2nd 2010, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

Tiger_Quimpo will become famous soon enoughTiger_Quimpo will become famous soon enough
Default Has there been a worse time to emmigrate?

I don't want to do it any less and I know if you hang around waiting for the optimal time to go then it will never happen, but seriously has there been (in recent years) a worse time to move from the UK to Canada (and in particular Vancouver)?

The pound is weak and the Vancouver property market is bouncing back as strong as ever. I probably need my head examined.

Still gonna do it anyway. It's just the kids inheritance afterall.

We have good jobs here even if the commute is insane and we could plod on, but it's time to put the cat amongst the pigeons and try something new.

This thread is intended to warm up any cold feet and if not the spark some debate. Are we all mad?
Old May 2nd 2010, 10:51 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has there been a worse time to emmigrate?

I'm a bit like this too, but I can't see me working here for another 20-30+ yrs without trying to live / work abroad & Canada is what appeals.

A bit daunting on the financial front but would rather swing & miss than become dissatisfied about 'should haves'.

having a bit of a 'life is too short' stage in my life.

bali
Old May 2nd 2010, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

Tiger_Quimpo will become famous soon enoughTiger_Quimpo will become famous soon enough

Agreed.

Would be nice if conditions were more favourable, but in for a penny in for a pound.

A pound will only buy you 1.5 loonies at the moment - a big loonie if you will.

Best of luck.
Old May 3rd 2010, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

Psyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bali2010
I'm a bit like this too, but I can't see me working here for another 20-30+ yrs without trying to live / work abroad & Canada is what appeals.

A bit daunting on the financial front but would rather swing & miss than become dissatisfied about 'should haves'.

having a bit of a 'life is too short' stage in my life.

bali
'DAUNTING' Agreed !

But why not? If not now, not ever would be the likely scenario in our case!

The process does seem very final, but that need not be the case if what you find is not what you sought. Bring on the Adventure!

To the OP we are in similar position - We would be mad not to try when in a position to at least, give it a go!
Old May 3rd 2010, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Psyched
'DAUNTING' Agreed !

But why not? If not now, not ever would be the likely scenario in our case!

The process does seem very final, but that need not be the case if what you find is not what you sought. Bring on the Adventure!

To the OP we are in similar position - We would be mad not to try when in a position to at least, give it a go!
Yes, now or never. Probably just a bit spooked because our plans may suddenly come forward by about 6-9 months. There's the prospect of a job coming up and we could be moving on the back of a TWP rather than PR. Just need to get our heads round a new timetable - if it comes to that.

Thanks for the words of encouragement.
Old May 3rd 2010, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

Reidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond repute

I hope not - we are landing in 5 weeks!!!!
Old May 3rd 2010, 11:22 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I moved to the other side of the country from Van, where we have our own property boom. (My house is worth almost double what I paid for it 5 years ago.). An exchange rate around $1.50 to the GBP would have lead to a much fuller and franker discussion between me and the Mrs (a Canadian who wanted to return home) before we moved. And we would'nt have been able to afford what we now have.

In face property inflation and a good/poor (depending on which way you are looking at it) exchange rate mean it's a good time to move back to the UK................
Old May 3rd 2010, 11:44 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

This depends a lot on your status in the UK. A few years ago people could sell a shed in some nothing place in the Midlands, be mortgage free in Canada, and live on the difference. They'd sacrifice quality of life but end up with a boat and several huge televisions. Now, it looks different but, if you're genuinely poor in the UK, you still have nothing to lose. I'd say that it's a typical time to emigrate for the typical emigrant; a young person with a skill but no assets. In my view it's no longer a sensible time for the reasonably affluent to look at a move from the UK to Canada and especially not to Vancouver. That offers a chance to be less well off while giving up both popular and high-brow culture.
Old May 3rd 2010, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

conacher24 is an unknown quantity at this point

We move to White Rock from Scotland in 7 weeks. When we put down the deposit on our new house the exchange rate was $1.70. we complete the purchase in 7 weeks so its costing us a whole lot more than we initially thought. Now that I've got my head round it, I view it as just bad luck and the adventure will still be as good.
Old May 3rd 2010, 12:14 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
This depends a lot on your status in the UK. A few years ago people could sell a shed in some nothing place in the Midlands, be mortgage free in Canada, and live on the difference. They'd sacrifice quality of life but end up with a boat and several huge televisions. Now, it looks different but, if you're genuinely poor in the UK, you still have nothing to lose. I'd say that it's a typical time to emigrate for the typical emigrant; a young person with a skill but no assets. In my view it's no longer a sensible time for the reasonably affluent to look at a move from the UK to Canada and especially not to Vancouver. That offers a chance to be less well off while giving up both popular and high-brow culture.
I don't believe that a typical emigrant (from the UK at least) is "a young person with a skill but no assets". In my unscientific survey of posters on this here BB, the typical emigrant is a 30-40 something established professional or professional tradesperson, with an amount of house equity, looking for the elusive Canadian dream of 'lifestyle', a better place to raise their kids and a bigger house/more land than can be afforded in UK. It's this last bit that the exchange rate is killing.

The young thing landing with a suitcase, a guitar and a pocket full of dreams? Not so much.
Old May 3rd 2010, 12:22 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
In my unscientific survey of posters on this here BB
I don't think that's as true of posters here as it first seems. Beyond that, I don't believe that posters here are representative of immigrants to Canada (even of immigrants to Canada from the UK). Consider the number of posters here who are coming via BUNAC, they likely have little in the way of assets and much in the way of student debt; a debt that falls with the declining pound. It might be a good move for them, if they can convert their visa to something more permanent. I'm not keen enough to count them but I bet there are more of them than older people with assets who are moving for "the future of the children" and a shiny SUV.
Old May 3rd 2010, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

gaz77 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi we have just had our medicals after 3years of waiting and we are having the twitches. We are in our 40's with 2 young kids aged 7 & 9 and all in all we do have a fairly good standard of living. we have two houses and a small business so we could come to canada with some cash but our problem is my wife is a primary school teacher here in the uk and they don't need teachers in canada so that is our dilema .I have two friends that are canadian and are willing to give me a job when we land .We dont want to get rich we just want a better quaity of life for our kids .If my wife gives up her job here she will not get a job that easy as positions are hard to come by, and she is expensive compared with someone straight out of college.We we feel like we are giving up everthing for the unknown.We feel this is our only chance to do it as we would not qualify under the new system, and we dont want in five years to say "what if!!".I want the best future for my children. Any advice, comments or thoughts are welcome.
Old May 3rd 2010, 3:14 pm
Slightly Canadian

Originally Posted by gaz77
hi we have just had our medicals after 3years of waiting and we are having the twitches. We are in our 40's with 2 young kids aged 7 & 9 and all in all we do have a fairly good standard of living. we have two houses and a small business so we could come to canada with some cash but our problem is my wife is a primary school teacher here in the uk and they don't need teachers in canada so that is our dilema .I have two friends that are canadian and are willing to give me a job when we land .We dont want to get rich we just want a better quaity of life for our kids .If my wife gives up her job here she will not get a job that easy as positions are hard to come by, and she is expensive compared with someone straight out of college.We we feel like we are giving up everthing for the unknown.We feel this is our only chance to do it as we would not qualify under the new system, and we dont want in five years to say "what if!!".I want the best future for my children. Any advice, comments or thoughts are welcome.
It's not being more expensive that is the problem - generally you would start at the bottom of the pay scale anyway - it's not being able to get a job quickly because as you note there is no shortage of teachers in Canada.

Aside from suggesting you get PR and then have a couple of years or so to decide, I can't help. I would observe that for someone who sounds like they are doing OK in the UK and has no tie to Canada other than a desire for the mythical 'better quality of life for my kids', I'd think very carefully before committing to Canada. Can you have someone else run your business for a while, keep the houses in the UK and come over and give it a whirl?
Old May 3rd 2010, 3:27 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone waiting for Vancouver to become more affordable will be in the UK for a loooooooooooong time.

If you want to be here then come on. Lots of people do every year, and many of them from a worse economic situation than you are. They get on, they make a life. If they can why can't you?

However, if the only reason for emigrating is to get a big house and lots of toys then go someplace else.
Old May 3rd 2010, 3:45 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I agree with this, sort of. Having said that, I think the second category (older affluent professional) will still do fine if they are willing to lower their expectations.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.