British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Has the Calgary star finally dimmed? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/has-calgary-star-finally-dimmed-853314/)

Britsrus Feb 24th 2015 4:53 pm

Has the Calgary star finally dimmed?

Is it just me or has Calgary become a lot less appealing to live in recently?

I'm talking about the cookie cutter growth of new estates, high food prices, overcrowded and limited c-trains, short summers, mega-high schools, gang crime and characterless expensive commuter communities where nobody speaks to their neighbour. The lack of product choice at the local markets, dentists who think everyone has a limitless Oil & Gas dental fund to spend, the downturn in the Oil and Gas economy, long long winters etc etc.

I've lived here since 2005 and maybe I'm just getting a bit jaded but Calgary seems to have lost its shine for me. I'm putting some serious thought into moving back to the UK. I know it has much the same problems but at least I'd be closer with my family.

I'd be curious to know if anyone else shares this opinion?

Jericho79 Feb 24th 2015 4:54 pm

Re: Has the Calgary star finally dimmed?

Originally Posted by Britsrus (Post 11575095)

I'm talking about the cookie cutter growth of new estates, high food prices, overcrowded and limited c-trains, short summers, mega-high schools, gang crime and characterless expensive commuter communities where nobody speaks to their neighbour. The lack of product choice at the local markets, dentists who think everyone has a limitless Oil & Gas dental fund to spend, the downturn in the Oil and Gas economy, long long winters etc etc.

I've lived here since 2005 and maybe I'm just getting a bit jaded but Calgary seems to have lost its shine for me. I'm putting some serious thought into moving back to the UK. I know it has much the same problems but at least I'd be closer with my family.

I'm with you on this one.

Atlantic Xpat Feb 24th 2015 5:03 pm

Is it just me or has St John's become a lot less appealing to live in recently?

I'm talking about the cookie cutter growth of new estates, high food prices, , short summers, mega-high schools, gang crime and characterless expensive commuter communities where nobody speaks to their neighbour. The lack of product choice at the local markets, dentists who think everyone has a limitless Oil & Gas dental fund to spend, the downturn in the Oil and Gas economy, long winters and longer springs etc etc.

Petro-economies in the downturn. Many similarities.;) (I took out the C-trains. We don't do public transport here.)

Oink Feb 24th 2015 5:06 pm

:rofl:

Almost Canadian Feb 24th 2015 5:08 pm

After living here for 10 years, do you still not speak to your neighbours?

Britsrus Feb 24th 2015 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 11575117)
After living here for 10 years, do you still not speak to your neighbours?

I know a few but I'm talking about the whole 'pull up on your driveway, open the garage door, drive in, close garage door and never to be seen again' kind of neighbours that you only ever make contact on those rare 2 weeks of hot summer. Other than that they are hibernating in their basements watching hockey 24/7.

ExKiwilass Feb 24th 2015 5:38 pm

Et tu, Britsrus? Et tu?

Almost Canadian Feb 24th 2015 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by Britsrus (Post 11575136)
I know a few but I'm talking about the whole 'pull up on your driveway, open the garage door, drive in, close garage door and never to be seen again' kind of neighbours that you only ever make contact on those rare 2 weeks of hot summer. Other than that they are hibernating in their basements watching hockey 24/7.

When I lived in Calgary, they were the exception rather than the rule.

Britsrus Feb 24th 2015 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass (Post 11575150)
Et tu, Britsrus? Et tu?

I wouldn't be making the comment if I did the same now eh?

Besides, that's not the big issue. If someone's tickled pink with Calgary I'd love to hear it. Perhaps it's just a mid-winter funk, but sadly I doubt it.

ExKiwilass Feb 24th 2015 5:57 pm

I'm just having some fun with your name.

I totally understand your issues with Calgary. There have been similar posts over the past few years, sounds like it has just grown too fast + the winter must be hard going.

Almost Canadian Feb 24th 2015 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by Britsrus (Post 11575171)
I wouldn't be making the comment if I did the same now eh?

Besides, that's not the big issue. If someone's tickled pink with Calgary I'd love to hear it. Perhaps it's just a mid-winter funk, but sadly I doubt it.

I like Calgary. The south c-train needs another line but, politically, that won't happen for some time.

Calgary, for the time you have lived here, has had lots of cookie cutter estates, but I doubt very much that the estates in the UK would be an improvement.

I spend lots of time outdoors in the winter and the summer so I have to admit that I am not as affected by the "short summers" as many posters on here appear to be. Having said that, I don't believe that the UK is world renowned for its fabulous summers :p

I tell my dentist what I want, not the other way around.

I haven't noticed the issues that you comment upon and I guess that that depends upon where one shops. My children enjoyed their schools when they were in Calgary and they continue to do so now they don't live in Calgary.

My daughter is in the process of purchasing her first car and will be independent, from a transportation perspective, shortly after her 16th birthday. She would only be able to do so using buses in the UK. I know which one she would prefer.

I don't honestly believe our lives would improve if we returned to the UK, which is why we will continue to live here.

Yorkiechef Feb 24th 2015 6:09 pm

I'm really looking forward to calgary. I understand that the property prices are moving in the right direction for me, with more choice in the areas I wish to live in. Economic cycles are just that, what goes round comes round, there will be an upturn in time, another oil boom and I hope to make the most of that. Sure the exchange rate is good for me and depressing for you, but only if you convert what you earn into £. If things are expensive, food and so forth, there is bound to be things that are cheap, gas petrol cars trips to the states for those much needed breaks. Perhaps it is the weather that is getting you down, it will be spring in 3 months - if you're lucky.

Seriously, hope you get through this, the great thing about calgary is that it is just about as far away from Ukrainians you can get, UK govt has just announced Brit troops to go to Ukraine

Almost Canadian Feb 24th 2015 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by Yorkiechef (Post 11575200)
I'm really looking forward to calgary. I understand that the property prices are moving in the right direction for me, with more choice in the areas I wish to live in. Economic cycles are just that, what goes round comes round, there will be an upturn in time, another oil boom and I hope to make the most of that. Sure the exchange rate is good for me and depressing for you, but only if you convert what you earn into £. If things are expensive, food and so forth, there is bound to be things that are cheap, gas petrol cars trips to the states for those much needed breaks. Perhaps it is the weather that is getting you down, it will be spring in 3 months - if you're lucky.

Seriously, hope you get through this, the great thing about calgary is that it is just about as far away from Ukrainians you can get, UK govt has just announced Brit troops to go to Ukraine

There are lots of Ukrainians in Calgary

cbrown89 Feb 24th 2015 7:20 pm

Short summers? It never bloody rains here and the past two summers I have been (arrived post flood) have been sunny and hot from Early June to mid Sept when I will admit it snowed....

ExKiwilass Feb 24th 2015 7:49 pm

Russia is also sniffing around the artic Yorkie, and the PP was right - lots of Ukrainians in Canada.