British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   has anyone used pickfords or gb liners (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/has-anyone-used-pickfords-gb-liners-742654/)

lindabey Dec 22nd 2011 4:03 pm

has anyone used pickfords or gb liners

Got both these companies coming in the new year to quote . Has anyone got any experience with either and who would you recommend.
Thank you for your help and advice in advance

R I C H Dec 22nd 2011 4:06 pm

Re: has anyone used pickfords or gb liners

I used Pickfords once for a move within the UK. They sucked. I used GB liners to move a container to Canada, they were great. Both instances were over 7 years ago. Your mileage may vary.

Geordie Lass Dec 22nd 2011 4:12 pm

Have trawled through many a thread about removal companies and GB Liners is the only one I can see that hasn't had a bad write up.

We are going with them for that reason... :thumbsup:

lindabey Dec 22nd 2011 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass (Post 9802501)
Have trawled through many a thread about removal companies and GB Liners is the only one I can see that hasn't had a bad write up.

ok thanks

Alan2005 Dec 22nd 2011 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by R I C H (Post 9802490)
I used Pickfords once for a move within the UK. They sucked. I used GB liners to move a container to Canada, they were great. Both instances were over 7 years ago. Your mileage may vary.

I used Pickfords for a move in the UK and it was fine.

I used Pickfords for a move to Canada and they sucked. They packed badly, and broke some stuff. They didn't even manage to load all the stuff on the container, and 8 months later after they'd found it I had to go into customs in Vancouver and explain the screw up. They weren't impressed at my story but fortunately didn't charge me any duty.

lindabey Dec 22nd 2011 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 9802665)
I used Pickfords for a move in the UK and it was fine.

I used Pickfords for a move to Canada and they sucked. They packed badly, and broke some stuff. They didn't even manage to load all the stuff on the container, and 8 months later after they'd found it I had to go into customs in Vancouver and explain the screw up. They weren't impressed at my story but fortunately didn't charge me any duty.

thank you for your advice

big ron Dec 22nd 2011 8:32 pm

Hi
We used GB Liner ( bradford depot) and what a great job they did We had a full pack job,you name it they packed it even the lawnmower.The guys could not have been nicer.It was loaded on the 29 Nov into the container and straight to the docks.It has now arrived in Toronto at BRYTORS depot .We are flying out on the 26th Dec I am going to the customs on the 28th Dec and they say they can deliver it to my own storage unit on the 30th Dec.Four weeks seems pretty good to me.I had 5 quotes Excess Baggage.Pickfords,Brittania.GB Liners & Fox.GB Liners was not the cheapest but a little bit of negotiating and we came to a deal.Have yet to see what condition the goods are in but will report back later .:thumbsup::thumbsup:

lindabey Dec 22nd 2011 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by big ron (Post 9802942)
Hi
We used GB Liner ( bradford depot) and what a great job they did We had a full pack job,you name it they packed it even the lawnmower.The guys could not have been nicer.It was loaded on the 29 Nov into the container and straight to the docks.It has now arrived in Toronto at BRYTORS depot .We are flying out on the 26th Dec I am going to the customs on the 28th Dec and they say they can deliver it to my own storage unit on the 30th Dec.Four weeks seems pretty good to me.I had 5 quotes Excess Baggage.Pickfords,Brittania.GB Liners & Fox.GB Liners was not the cheapest but a little bit of negotiating and we came to a deal.Have yet to see what condition the goods are in but will report back later .:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Many thanks for your answer . gonna get quote off both and think i probably go for gb liners anyway . cheers

nativenewyorker Dec 22nd 2011 10:06 pm

We had a quote from GB liners. It was quite a lot higher than some of the others but they were very eager to negotiate - they gave us 3 prices in the end but they still didn't match the company we used. Worth bearing in mind and doing a bit of bargaining with them.

GC44 Dec 22nd 2011 10:51 pm

Used GB Liners for our move last August from Yorkshire to Manitoba. They weren't the cheapest but we went on there reputation on this site plus the guy who gave the quote was the most professional. We were not dissapointed. They were excellent. Would recommend.
Good luck :)

Miss Clinique Dec 22nd 2011 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass (Post 9802501)

Good choice :thumbsup:

Miss Clinique Dec 22nd 2011 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by big ron (Post 9802942)
Hi

I am going in tomorrow to have a rummage through it :rofl:

Only joking :rofl:

Have a safe flight, give me a call, I am at home all day now.

Merry Christmas to you both.

Editha Dec 23rd 2011 12:35 am

Originally Posted by lindabey (Post 9802471)
Got both these companies coming in the new year to quote . Has anyone got any experience with either and who would you recommend.
Thank you for your help and advice in advance

We used Pickfords, coming to Canada from the midlands 5 yrs ago. Horrible experience. Much more expensive than other quotes, but we used them because of their reputation, and the cost was being born by my husband's employer. They didn't allow enough time for packing and ended up completely chaotic. While the stuff was en route they gave misleading information about where it was and when it would arrive. At one point they lost our address and claimed they could not contact us. Stuff arrived with a lot broken. The cock-ups all appeared to be at UK end. Never again.

lindabey Dec 23rd 2011 5:50 am

Originally Posted by Editha (Post 9803258)
We used Pickfords, coming to Canada from the midlands 5 yrs ago. Horrible experience. Much more expensive than other quotes, but we used them because of their reputation, and the cost was being born by my husband's employer. They didn't allow enough time for packing and ended up completely chaotic. While the stuff was en route they gave misleading information about where it was and when it would arrive. At one point they lost our address and claimed they could not contact us. Stuff arrived with a lot broken. The cock-ups all appeared to be at UK end. Never again.

thank you for all your help think ive had my mind made up but think i get both in to quote and then negotiate with gb liner on their price. merry xmas

Miss Clinique Dec 23rd 2011 10:51 am

Originally Posted by lindabey (Post 9803551)
thank you for all your help think ive had my mind made up but think i get both in to quote and then negotiate with gb liner on their price. merry xmas

When are you planning on moving? If its early in the year - Jan, Feb or march then you will have negotiating power. These are very quiet months for a lot of international movers.